The Tinker bi-plane hangar

WolstonFlyer

Welcome to the Tinker bi-plane hanger - get your workbench tidied, put the kettle on and pull up a chair.

This is the pace to talk about the build, share pictures and any other information on building tips, modifications & power system etc.

I have just spoken to Judy at DB S&S and ordered my plan, ribs, wheels and a Dural undercarriage (from the Barnstormer 63 that Eddie is cutting to size) - I am looking forward to the parcel arriving in a couple of weeks

If anybody already has the plan for the Tinker and can come up with a wood list that would be a great start!

Hello WolstonFlyer

Fancy making a Tinker Biplane, I have one that is nearly 40 year old and still flying.

What made you decide on it ?

Mine now has a modern 25 in it and can take off in a couple of yards; landing into a slight wind can be nearly vertical with just a little power on.

It will turn heads cos it is a bit out of the ordinary and people will say "wor iz it "

Roger

Hi Roger, congratulations on keeping your Tinker flying for 40 years!

The Tinker is one of the 5 models chosen for the next forum Mass Build, I had never heard of it until a few weeks ago and it does look like a lovely bi-plane

I have been wondering what modern engine might be suitable, it is good to know a 25 will fit - cheers.

Ruprect - yes why not, it would look different!

Colin - thanks for the video, it is a very interesting to see it put through its paces like that.

This virtual hanger is exactly the place to share things like that, I don't intend this to be "my" build blog but a shared collective space for this model as part of the mass build. Of course if you want to start your own build blog then please do so.

Hi All

It used to have an old 19 engine but it died over time. It now has an SC 25 and is most def overpowered. You are limited to the size of fuel tank you can use, so you become quite expert at dead stick landings. It looks quite good just pottering along though.

Roger

Posted by Darlo0161 on 17/10/2013 12:46:56:

As a newbie flyer on my first build, who's foamie is electric I don't really want to start with IC until I'm sure I want to "stick around" as it were.

Is it likely I can build the Tinker to electric ?

Yes you can make it electric - I think I will end up going that way as well.

Here is an electric example

Tinker bi-plane electric

Well, while waiting for the plan set to arrive from DB Sport and Scale I have just ordered the wood list put together by Bearair - Cheers

3/8 SQ Beach (engine bearer)

4mm Ply (f2)

1/8 (3mm) Ply - (f3, undercarriage plate, 4x Diehedral Brace, Plywood Guides)

3/16 Dowel

36x4x1/16 6 Of (fus sides, Top&Bottom TE&LE) 2x Quarter Grain for fus sides)

36x3x1/16 2 Of (Fus top&bottom)

36x3x1/2 1 of (Cabin Block,cowl bottom) could be done with a 6"

36x3x1/4 1 of (Cabin Top Sides)

36x3x3/16 3 Of(doublers,tail plane centers,elevator,rudder,fin, F4,F5, Longerons(2))

​36x3/16xSQ 14 of(Spars(14) spars should be hard. I would cut this from 1x 3/16 sheet)

36x3x1/8 1of (fin supports,fus locator, root ribs)

36x3x3/8 1of (fus doublers)

36x3x3/32 3of (wing ribs) quarter grain if possible - or get the laser cut rib pack from DB sport and scale

1" Triangular 1of (wing tips)

10g Piano wire

I also added a set of small control horns, M2 quick links, 2 x light weight snakes, M3 "T" nuts (for mounting the electric motor) , a pack of 4" M2 control rods and a pack of M2 nuts.

All in with delivery (£9) and VAT (£10) it came to just under £60

Thanks to forum member Caveman on another thread I have just ordered 2 x 5m rolls of covering film from Hobbyking in White and bright Red so that is my colour scheme sorted!

I have also ordered the NTM propdrive 35-36a 910kv motor and 40A ESC (I like a bit of extra capacity in my ESC's)

This is a bit of a guess for this model but the spec does say it is good for up to .30 size IC models and some previous posts on this thread are from people that have a Tinker with .25 IC installed.

NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_35_36A_910Kv_350W

Thanks Roger,

I based my motor size on the one mentioned here, he says he is using an O.S Brushless 0.1 equivalent: **Link**

The O.S motor is the OMA-3810-1050?(.10 Size) putting 333?Watts with 1050kV

Yes I am hoping to fit ailerons, on another forum (RCG) there is a build that mentions changing the dihedral to 1 degree but there is no information on the size of the ailerons of if they are on both brings or just the lower wing.

I have only bought wood online from SLEC once before so don't have anything to compare against (this is only my second balsa plane build) but the wood all seemed to be very nice, even quality and grain etc.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 20/10/2013 13:25:19