The Tinker bi-plane hangar

WolstonFlyer

The wood list was actually posted by Bearair (Roger), here. I just copied into this thread so that people might see it here as well.

I cannot find much information on either version of the Tinker, I get the impression that there are not may of them being built these days.

If anybody has the AUW that would be great, I "guesstimated" at around 3.5lb / 1.6Kg for the 45" version as it has the same wingspan as my Wot4 foam-e but is balsa and has the extra wing.

The balsa at SLEC is listed in imperial and metric. Probably the (old?) machines that make the balsa planks are set up in imperial because that is what many plans are drawn up in? Ply will be made in more modern production facilities so I assume it is made in metric sizes. - I am just guessing here.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 21/10/2013 13:34:45

Posted by John F on 21/10/2013 13:14:33:

Thnak you for the wood list WF, anyone got any ideas of the AUW of both the Tinker and Tinker Major?

With regards to the wood, why is ply usually quoted in metric yet balsa in imperial?

Hi John,

That's how it is listed on the plan! I thought that for people not used to building I would try to list it exactly as stated on the plan to avoid confusion, although on the plan it also list's 1/8 ply, since you don't need much of it and it is so near to 3mm I would list it as such. Got no idea why he uses metric and imperial on the plan. Can't tell you what the AUW is but I can tell you the Tinker will fly on a 15 with plenty of power and the Tinker Major will fly happily on a old Super Tigre 29.

Roger

In that case, thank you Bearair for your work listing the wood.

I wasn't criticising, rather asking if anyone knows why ply isn't usually listed in imperial.

If the Tinker Major will happily fly on a 29 it helps massively to gauge what electric motor to use.

Edited By John F on 21/10/2013 15:14:49

Hi John.

Didn't think you were, if my reply came across a bit blunt I certainly did not mean it to.smiley

I used to have a Tinker which was rudder and elevator and my father had the Aileron equipped Tinker Major, My Tinker had a Super Tigre 15 and was capable of most manoeuvres, wouldn't go vertical but flew how you would expect a trainer to fly. Dad's Tinker Major was fitted with a fox 35 originally and on the rare occasion it ran well you could do the book with it, but trying to get the settings right on the carb, idle,high and midrange adjustments proved impossible!. So we fitted an old reliable Super Tigre 29 which did not have the same omph as the Fox but you could still do more or less any aerobatics you wished.

Roger

My pack of wood and hardware arrived from SLEC today

Also the covering and electronics from Hobbyking. The rolls of covering came in their own individual cardboard packing tube - very impressed!

I also got a pair of their z-bend pliers... how on earth have I managed without a pair so far, they are a great tool! They seem to be very well made - just the job!

Just waiting for the postie to deliver my plans and ribs, wheels and Dural undercarriage. They are on the way

Hurray.. my Tinker 45" plan, ribs, wheels and Dural undercarriage arrived today

I have not had chance to have a proper look yet but just having a quick glance through the bubble wrap the laser cut ribs look great.

I just need an experienced builder to get started so I can follow along

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 25/10/2013 18:11:18

OK... so I have made a start. I was going to finish covering my Tucano first but there was this nice looking bundle of Balsa looking at me from the other side of the room!

A few hours work to study the plan and make the 1/16" fuselage sides, and I added the 3/16" longerons and not in this photo but I have added the 1/4" cabin sides as well.

I only just remembered to make two mirror image fuselage sides and not two the same

tinker1.jpg

Before I do too much I need to figure out the changes needed to convert it to Electric, I think there will be a hatch in the front for installing the battery with a ply battery tray just behind the motor.... probably.

Hi Roger, I was thinking of keeping a former at F3 but make it from balsa strips like F4 so that it has a central void where the battery can fit. I think F2 will also move slightly further forward as well to fit the length of the motor.

A bit more progress while my wife went out for an hour

tinker2.jpg

What I cannot work out from the plan is if the sides of the cabin are supposed to include the slope of the windscreen or not. It does appear that F4 is supposed to go straight up the front of the cabin in which case the windscreen slope is in the way. It does show a 3/16 x 3/8 doubler forming the slope (you can see that on the picture below) so perhaps there it meant to be a triangle of 1/16 sheet forming the side window rather than extending the 1/4 balsa like I have done????

This is where I think the LiPo tray will fit... probably.

tinker-lipo-position.jpg

Hi WF my take on the drawing was that the cabin side stopped at that full height former F4
you are doing great, and should be a great guide to the others. This highlights that great designers do not always draw the clearest plans. The more usual method of using arrow heads to outline doublers etc is much clearer and I am surprised these are not seen on the plan?
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/11/2013 12:00:03

Hi Danny, yes I think you are right about the cabin side ending at F4, then I am a bit confused.

You can see on my picture above, there is the sloping 3/16 x 3/8 length to form the windscreen but then there is writing just below that says 3/16 doubler with arrows pointing to F3 and F4... does that mean the whole area between F3 and F4 is filled in with a 3/16 doubler? Then the dowel for the front wing band goes through the top corner of the doubler for strength? Then it would appear you need to stick a triangle of 1/16 sheet on the outside to make the side window flush with the rest of the fuselage sheeting. But then there is an arrow with writing that says 1/2" cabin block - I assume that this is the windscreen?

To be honest I just cannot visualise what the plan is trying to show. There are no arrow heads on the plan to outline the main parts

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 03/11/2013 12:12:04

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 03/11/2013 12:14:06

If you look at the top view on the plan it is clearer, also measuring the width of f4 confirms it. F4 is just 1/8 short of 3" so from that we can see that the cabin windows are 1/16 sheet, then you have the 3/16 doublers which stops at the 1/2 cabin front. So the 1/2 cabin front sits between the 1/16 cabin sides resting on the end of the 3/16 doubler.

Hopes this helps

Roger

A similar construction is used on the Tyro major which I have just built. The doubler at the top of the fuz ( underneath the wing fits between F3 and F4, in the Tyro Major, and does not extend into the cabin area as you have done.

F3 is the full height if the fuz, and the fuz sides are cut to include the slope of the cabin. The doubler which fits between F2 and F3 can then be cut at an angle to accommodate the block for the windscreen to sit on.

Hope this makes sense.

I think I can see how it works now, it is not very clear on the plans (to me as a novice builder anyway) !

I will get some more building time later so will get F4 made and cut my cabin sides back to where they should be and see how it goes!

I guess the trick is to get one fuselage side made with F3 and F4 fixed in place with all of the doublers and then attach the other fuselage side and then put the doublers in for that side?

Thanks

P.S - Should I start my own build blog or just post a few pictures in this thread as and when I get stuck?

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 03/11/2013 13:02:48