The Tinker bi-plane hangar

WolstonFlyer

Whatever way you do it the wing dowel needs to go in something strong or be bound to the former with wire. Good idea to drill dowel holes in balsa now using sharpened ( internally) brass tube of same size as dowel.
Also good idea to put tiny holes for the securing wire in the former now.

Posted by kc on 03/11/2013 13:15:31:
Whatever way you do it the wing dowel needs to go in something strong or be bound to the former with wire. Good idea to drill dowel holes in balsa now using sharpened ( internally) brass tube of same size as dowel.
Also good idea to put tiny holes for the securing wire in the former now.

I think kc you are assuming the former F3 is ply. It isn't, its made up of balsa strips. I reinforced the inside of the doubler with a gusset of thin ply to give support to the dowel

Edited By Colin Ashman on 03/11/2013 16:42:45

I didn't get as much done as I wanted this evening.

I have modified the cabin sides and built F3 and F4 and I have revised the battery position. I will use a flat battery tray. Once the rear motor shaft has been cut down and a 4mm ply F2 installed there will be plenty of room for the ESC and to be able to move the battery about to get the C of G sorted. There will be a battery hatch in the top of the nose secured with magnets.

tinker3.jpg

Not glued in place yet, I have the doublers to install up to the nose.

tinker4.jpg

Just a small update, long hours at work this week has prevented building

I have done some careful measuring and have decided to reduce the dihedral in both wings to 2 degrees, this should make the wing tips 1/2" off the building board. I have also worked out the position and angles for the motor mounting (a modified F2), I just need to cut the mount from 4mm ply.

Here is a quick picture of the formers and fuselage sides glued together

tinker5.jpg

Everything looks square, the ends of the tail meet up and are level so I consider it good progress!

tinker6.jpg

Well this thread has 1463 views so somebody must be reading it other than me cheeky

After some careful measuring I have made and dry fitted the motor mount F2. First I made the 3/8" doublers and then marked the position of F2 so it is in the correct position with down and right thrust. I then cut a slot down the sides of the doublers to allow F2 to slide down into place and be fixed securely. I think this works quite well and should provide a nice firm fixing.

The position of the motor X mount is marked, notice it is 2mm off centre to allow for the right thrust of the motor.

tinker7.jpg

You can see the thrust angle a bit better here. The sides of the fuselage come up higher than the doublers because I am installing a top hatch for access to the LiPo, on the original plans the whole top of the engine and fuel tank area is open. I am doing the design changes "one the fly" so hence the slight mistake with the cross strut over the top of F3 in the picture.

tinker8.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 11/11/2013 00:47:16

Hi Ken

Yes I am adding Ailerons to my Tinker although I have not started making the wings yet.

After getting information from Eddie at DB sport and scale I am making the dihedral in both wings 2 degrees, this should make the wing tips 1/2" off the building board. I carefully marked out some lines in pencil on the plan and have drawn up a new set of dihedral braces and root rib angle template.

I am working at home today and spent my lunch hour installing the motor mount and F2 into the fuselage

I will post a picture later tonight.

Here is a quick picture of the motor mount, it is now epoxied in place but the motor prop driver looks to be exit the nose in the middle when I offer it up.

There is quite a bit of down and right thrust on this model so the T nuts for the motor X mount are right at the very top of the 4mm ply former.

tinker9.jpg

P.S

Notice how the picture is in focus BEB and I am using my camera phone hand held - you need to splash out a few pounds on a new camera cheeky

Hi Ken, I thought a .40 would be a bit big for the smaller Tinker wink I would guess that the same amount of dihedral in the Tinker Major would be OK but you might want to check with Eddie.

As there is no mention on where to install servo's or radio gear on the Tinker plan or included build notes (they do mention a rubber escapement - not sure what that is? ) - I thought I would install a servo and radio tray somewhere in the middle of the fuselage. This is what I have come up with made from what I think is 2mm Birch ply, it is big enough for my two Turnigy TGY-90S metal gear servos and there is plenty of space for a Spektrum AR400 Receiver and to route the wires.

I might drill some holes in it to allow cable ties to hold all of the wires down.

The servo's will be back to back and the snakes will be installed in holes drilled through the uprights in former F5 where the end of the snake outer will be glued in place.

I also need to add a bit of scrap 3/16" balsa in the fuselage sides where the snakes will exit.

tinker10.jpg

Sorry if this thread has turned into my build blog - I didn't intend it that way but it seemed a bit silly to start another thread.

If anybody else has started building their Tinker it would be great so see some pictures of your build . I am no expert at this building lark, I am basically making it up as I go along cheeky

Finally for tonight I have added some thin ply (less than 1mm thick) hard points where the dowel rods will be located for the wing bands. I did consider bolting the wings on but I will crash / cartwheel this model at some point and banded on wings might help reduce the damage ( I "still" need to get my A-Test) . Using bands will also keep the retro / vintage look of the model yes

tinker12.jpg

tinker11.jpg

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 18/11/2013 17:31:51:

P.S

Notice how the picture is in focus BEB and I am using my camera phone hand held - you need to splash out a few pounds on a new camera cheeky

What? And risk losing my street cred! Never! Anyway I'm all sorted now that Danny's told me how to turn the flash on - as you will see shortly once I get the day job under control!

BEB

PS I'll let you into a secret - I don't have, or intend to have, a mobile phone. I also discourage my nearest and dearest from using them. The last thing I need in life is an electro-magnetic radiation source right next to my brain! wink 2