Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

Looks like we've been left at the start boys, all of the other 2014 selections have their own threads, so I've started this one in case we need to put our heads together.

I'm awaiting the arrival of the Barnstormer Baby plan from the RCM&E Plans service. It's a 32" wingspan model and I plan to fit it with a throttled Mills 75.

The plan cost me £14......

Let's get this finally nailed down. The Barnstormer is available in 32, 52, 63, 72, and 88 inch wingspans.

The 88" Mighty Barnstormer plan costs £20 from DB Sport & Scale.

The 63" and 72" are also available from DB Sport & Scale and both cost £10 each.

RCM&E Plans service offer the 32" 52" and 72" versions.

The 32" Barnstormer Baby, (code RC/1106) costs £12.50 plus postage.

The 52" Barnstormer, (code R/C1039) probably the first Barnstormer to fly, costs £22.50 plus postage.

The 72" Barnstormer, (code R/C1118) costs....er....probably more than you'd pay if you bought the plan from DB Sport and Scale!

Edited By David Davis on 16/10/2013 20:53:11

Posted by David Davis on 16/10/2013 20:52:07:

Let's get this finally nailed down. The Barnstormer is available in 32, 52, 63, 72, and 88 inch wingspans.

The 88" Mighty Barnstormer plan costs £20 from DB Sport & Scale.

The 63" and 72" are also available from DB Sport & Scale and both cost £10 each.

RCM&E Plans service offer the 32" 52" and 72" versions.

The 32" Barnstormer Baby, (code RC/1106) costs £12.50 plus postage.

The 52" Barnstormer, (code R/C1039) probably the first Barnstormer to fly, costs £22.50 plus postage.

The 72" Barnstormer, (code R/C1118) costs....er....probably more than you'd pay if you bought the plan from DB Sport and Scale!

Edited By David Davis on 16/10/2013 20:53:11

"finally nailed down"........... hhmmmmmm, not quite wink

I was debating between the Mini Tyro and the Barnstormer Baby for a PAW 100, and favouring the BB because - having read somewhere it was c 38/39" span - It seemed a better match for the engine than the Mini Tyro

However, I'm now seeing a few refs, including the above, to it being 32", and also having been a free plan in RCM&E Jan '71

Have just received that mag via ebay I can confirm plan RC1106 states the span is 39". Text also says the scaled down plan shown in the mag is 1/5 scale, and measuring that indicates it is 39", not 32" span. David, perhaps you could confirm when yours arrives, please?

There was also no free plan issued with that mag - just the scaled down copy shown, to purchase. So, looks like its either purchase RC1106 or scan the mag page into cad, trace the key vital components and dimensions, and scale it up for printing. Decisions, decisions smile

Edited By IanN on 17/10/2013 18:06:58

Posted by savedbytheground on 17/10/2013 08:41:25:

Hi All,

Should this thread be combined with Phil's thread.

Regards

John

Phil's Thread

Na John mine is my build blog or will be once the plan arrives. Mind you the idea of having a link at the top to all the forthcoming build blogs might be an idea (MODS take note please if poss)

and regarding wood requirements I will, for those interested, use my QS skills to determine the requirements for the 63 from DB sport excluding the ribs as I'm cheating and buying them from DB

for those of you following me I strongly suggest a SLEC balsa strip cutter or similar it will save a fortune in strip balsa by allowing you to cut your own from sheet

Now to get all those little DIY jobs out of the way so I can concentrate on the BS

Phil

Posted by Martian on 19/10/2013 17:52:56:

Still undecided as to which Barnstormer pref it will be one the will fly on 3s batts cos thats what i have

That looks like any up to 52 inch then Martian! mind you the 36" is a definite 3s setup.also some believe the 63" can be made light enough to use a 3s setup, I'm undecided about how practical that is and planning a 4s for mine

phil