Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

Mine arrived today after 4 days in a couriers vehicle.

Talk about a trip down memory lane.

No such thing as metric dimensions anywhere, and its fairly obvious that not a great deal of updating of the instructions has taken place.

I quote from the radio installation paragraph, "Any proportional reed or dual proportional outfit should fit", given the sizes of these near antique units we should have acres of space for modern 2.4ghz units.

This is a real builders plan and should be an enjoyable challenge for anyone with a modicum of ability with stock modelling tools. I don't see anything that needs really advanced techniques or mega advanced tools.

My plan for the weekend is to go carefully over the build instructions and plans to:

i) work out a fairly definitive materials list,

ii) develop a plugin wing design

iii) work out placement of the RC gear including hatches for maintenance access

iv) develop a firewall mount to allow installation of an electric motor,and removable cowl for access to the motor

That should keep me busy for the next 2 days

Phil

Hi

I have been flying Boddo's designs since I arrived in Australia in 1975. Restarted on the Tyro Major then moved to the Barnstormer '72, then Old Bill and then the Bistormer '72. They all fly beautifully, but my favourite is the Barnstormer '72 with an OS 60 FS. I must have built 3 or 4 of the Barnstormers and Old Bill; one Old Bill (with talc bomb) flew for Channel 10 in Queensland. I am now building another Old Bill (yes, with bomb) and a Barnstormer '72 using Saito 40 FS and OS 60 FS respectively. Eddie at DB Sport and Scale has been very helpful.

By the way, if you build an Old Bill and put her into a spin you will find that she flattens fairly quickly and Isaac Newton takes over control; Boddo informed me that he had the same problem when I asked him about it. Apart from that, Boddo rules!!

Couldn't play out tonight as I lost a crown this lunchtime (Mother made some toffee), so I spent this evening collecting bits and putting a kit of parts together. Just need to sort out the metalwork and get a pop bottle for the screen (in the fridge). Was considering having Gonzo for a pilot, but then I would have to have some chicken wing walkers and I'm trying to keep the weight down. Maybe use Animal instead.

kevinb.

Posted by kevin b on 27/10/2013 00:00:34:

Was considering having Gonzo for a pilot, but then I would have to have some chicken wing walkers and I'm trying to keep the weight down. Maybe use Animal instead.

kevinb.

Bad luck on the crown mate. totally agree with Animal for a pilot definately my favourite muppet, Though I am also considering Mutley and a machine gun on the wing se5a style. but then there's also Grommit oh decisions decisions wink

Phil

Posted by Mike Hardy on 27/10/2013 15:52:47:

Hi Phil, I am waiting with bated breath for your wood lists mods etc. I guess the 'two days' is up tomorrow! Hope your info will be relevant to the 63". (thank you in anticipation!!)

Mike,

Hi Mike I'm guessing you've missed this on my build blog page 2 (opens in new window/tab)

To be fair the plug in wing mod is still a little way of a leaky conservatory roof got in the way but then work has to take precedence

Phil

I concour with WF here David is not best placed to be an intermediary I spoke to Eddie this lunch time and while they're getting busy they do think they're on top of it though they are away from thurs for a week so I'd ring him tomorrow just in case your order has slipped through the net

Phil

Let me get this clear.

It appears that Eddy of DB Sport & Scale is getting the 63", 72" and 88" plan packs out. This involves providing purchasers with a plan, a rib set, the former patterns and the landing gear and cabane struts.

I, on the other hand want to build the 32" Barnstormer Baby because my time is extremely limited. I am re-decorating and re-carpeting my entire house in order to sell it and emigrate to France. Small models are quicker to build than larger ones so I've ordered this plan in order to be able to participate in the mass build. This plan is only available from RCM&E. Eddy has nothing to do with this. He is getting his stuff out; I cannot say the same for RCM&E.

After waiting for what I considered to be an acceptable period I phoned My Hobby Store to ask what had happened to my order. A lady who dealt with dolls' houses took my query and said she would email the relevant person with my phone numbers so that she could get back to me. I heard nothing so contacted David Ashby on 25th October. He referred my enquiry to Cheryl Dobson, the Head of Brand at My Hobby Store, who sent me a very nice email earlier this evening apologising for the lack of contact and explaining that the Barnstormer Baby was an X List plan and as such it could take up to six weeks for an X List plan to be processed and sent off but that my plan, being "a single page plan" could be processed more quickly and that I could expect to receive the plan in a few days.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions but in my view six weeks is an unacceptably long period for any enthusiast to wait for his plan however rare it is.

I have participated in both the Webbit Mass Build and the Vintage Mass Build of 2012. I did not fancy the 2013 Mass Build because wings made from sheet balsa did not appeal to me. However, if I have to wait much longer for this plan, I'll give the 2014 Mass Build a miss as well; I've got better things to do.

Not impressed.

Edited By David Davis on 28/10/2013 20:11:43