Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

That is indeed an unacceptable lead time makes you wonder what is going to happen to other time media owned companies fingers crossed this isn't a sign of things to come! it would indeed be a sad day for the hobby if it was

Thanks for the heads up James hadn't spotted that on my phone sat in ASDA car park waiting for my step granddaughter to finish work

Phil

Myhobbystores X plans is as big a mystery as the TV show with a similar name. interestingly, they can give you a price, even if they don't know whether they actually have a copy of the plan. That is even though they might own the copyright. I have a large collection of old model boat plans. Some of which should be in the X plans, but aren't physically there. The same probably applies to aircraft and other plans supposedly in the X plans collection.

kevinb.

I wondered if it was just me but it looks like aspects of the "RCM&E" plans website are pretty much useless.

Given the role that online commerce plays out these days this effort looks somewhat lacking.

I have also tried a few times to speak to somebody about my potential purchase but have only managed to speak a nice lady in the Dolls House Dept who was unable to help.

Can anybody decipher this page in terms of what I might get for my twenty two and half pounds.

What does this mean ?

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 28/10/2013 22:46:55:

with the Barnstormer Baby plan:

**LINK**

As per my post on the first page of this thread, I have that mag and it looks very much to me like the Baby Barnstormer was a build article, with plan to be purchased - not a free plan

Maybe I'm wrong but at the very least I would ask the seller to confirm the plan is included, to avoid possible disappointment

I've just dug the issue out of my collection and I concure. But, if you've got 'Tile print' or 'IsIplot' (about £10 for the software) its easy to generate a fullsize plan, of any size, from a scan of the mag - you just have to join up the A4 'tiles' that are generated.

PM me if anyone wants a scan.

HTH

As per my post on the first page of this thread, I have that mag and it looks very much to me like the Baby Barnstormer was a build article, with plan to be purchased - not a free plan

Maybe I'm wrong but at the very least I would ask the seller to confirm the plan is included, to avoid possible disappointment

Ahh yes I see now on the eBay pictures the "plan" is only a page in the magazine with writing next to it that says "Full size plan is available from....... postage free"

That is a shame

David, have you considered the 39 inch Miss Barnstormer from Model Flyer Oct 2001. Just like any other Barnstormer but piano wire & balsa fairing cabane. This plan was published half size in the magazine, so each A4 page could be enlarged to full size by copying to A3 size. I have the magazine and it's a very clear plan. But the plan is only 4.35 pounds from ADH Plans anyway. Maybe ADH( ModelFlyer )could supply much quicker than MyHobbyStores supply a Baby plan! MHS should rethink their pricing structure too before they kill the goose that laid the golden egg ( i.e. kill plan building altogether if plans cost nearly as much as ARTF)

Edited By kc on 29/10/2013 13:28:58

hooray David,just as a point of interest if you can have a plan converted to pdf the plan can then be poster printed then all parts of the plan will be printed as an a4 jigsaw it is quite good fun to put together..you may have to adjust the print % to get correct measurement

Wing spars. Does the 63 have top and bottom spar (like 52 ) or the slotted spar & ribs Boddo sometimes used? ( I hate slotted spars! )

Does the 63 plan show ailerons?

Are ailerons worthwhile on 52 or 63? Opinions please from those who have already flown Barnstormers 52 or 63.

The plan arrived today. It's very clearly printed but the wingspan is 39" and not a 32" as mentioned in all of the information I have seen. I'm not sure whether a Mills 75 would fly it at that size, the original was powered by a Cox Babe Bee. The plan also shows considerable downthrust on the engine. What do all of you aeronautical engineers think? Is it necessary?

The model is only single channel and I was thinking of flying it as such but that would make it difficult to fly in any sort of wind so I think I'll incorporate an elevator.

There is a list of materials required to build the model printed on the top of the plan and I note that when it was first released to the public the plan cost 50p. I've just paid over £14 for it including postage and packing......

Martian, I'm not very good with computers so don't know how to change a thumbnail into a workable full-sized plan. Not to worry the RCM&E plan is here now and I'll start a build log once I've finished the Vic Smeed Pushycat for another website's competition.

David, glad you got it at last and thanks for confirming the size. All the info I had pointed to 39" but its good to know for sure. (Obviously doesn't help that MHS's own online store description wrongly says 32"!)

The photos of the original in the mag build article show the Cox .049, as does the plan. If it flew with that, given the greater weight of the r/c gear back in '71, then imo your Mills .75 will be fine. Probably better in fact - I'd think the larger, slower turning prop which the Mills excels at would suit this model far better than the rather "buzzy" Cox. If I build one it will have a PAW 100, but only because I have nothing smaller

Also thanks KC and Cymaz for the info re the Model Flyer version - will be interesting to see whether that one is substantially different in any way

The Jan 71 RCME says 39 inch span.
Boddo revised this model as Miss Barnstormer at 39 inch in Model Flyer Oct 2001.
Weighed 6 ounces uncovered 9.5 ounces covered with Solartex. Powered by Kalper .32 and also Mills .4cc diesels or could use any up to Cox Babe Bee. This was free flight version.
Lots of downthrust on the plan , seems to be about 5 degrees. 50 mm dihedral under each wing tip.
David I have sent you a PM. I think you should have bought the ADH plan at 4.35 pounds!

Edited By kc on 30/10/2013 19:09:35

I emailed Eddie yesterday asking for a delivery date for my 72" Barnstormer order, only to get an out of office reply saying they are now on holiday.

First thing this morning by courier my bits turned up. I'm very happy, I can now sort out the wood list and have a think about the build.

2 initial observations, I'll be fixing the Cabanes with M3 nuts and bolts not the self tappers as shown on plan, and I'll be using a plastic engine mount and not the bearers as show, with a beefier F1

Andy

Posted by kc on 31/10/2013 15:27:32:
David, was the info on the PM useful? If not useful to you I will let everyone know in case it helps them,

Edited By kc on 31/10/2013 15:33:28

The information would have been very useful Keith if I had not already paid for the plan on 16th October, maybe someone else could benefit from the information. FWIW the Barnstormer Baby has now been posted on a well-known plans website.