Skyways (Masons Models) Hawk 70

Yes, I've been checking the web page for around a year to see if there's a price for the Moth Minor, but no updates...

I realise I could ring but I worked on the principle that if it's ready to sell then it's worth putting on their website so people know about it...

It's been good to hear that people have spoken to Masons. Perhaps they just need us to show enough interest to get their act together and make a small batch of kits.

I've got a big stack of kits to work through Percy, but in the last few years I've been hankering for those kits I remember with fond nostalgia when I was a child of the late 1970's and early 1980's.

The Moth Minor is one - I saw one fly with I think either a Laser 75 or 90 many years ago. If it was freely available right now then I would probably have bought one by now!

I've managed to get an LMC Gnatty, a PFM Giant Zlin and a Jim Fox Folland Gnat into the collection so far - pure nostalgia and the Moth would fit right in.

I wonder if they're waiting for the world to batter their door down begging for a kit? Seems a shame that they could be selling a good few if only more people knew about their existence.

I have had a Chippahawk for more years than I care to remember. It is still pristine and flown regularly with an SC 52.

Flown in a stiff breeze it can be REVERSED on to the patch as it is so stable right down to the stall. On full chat it will do all the aerobatics I am capable of yet is as docile as a trainer when flown slowly.

I also used to amuse members with flying around me with full rudder - a la control line - such fun. It is the one model I can rely on to fly in all weathers and without any reservations.

Were it to meet its demise I would have no hesitation in replacing it even if it involved a total rebuild.

Were it to appear on the Nats showline I doubt if Mr Mason could keep up with the demand for orders!

Good News,

I had had a call from Mr Mason today to say that the Kestrel kit is ready; I have order done and should get it next week.

He sounded very pleased with the way it's turned out and is keen for feedback to see if anything needs to be changed ( mine is only the second one of the new kit that he has released).

if anyone is interested, I will start a log on that specific model.

Sadly, the Hawk and Moth Minor kits are not ready. he runs a small business and does not gave the resources for large production runs.

Trevor

Edited By Trevor Rushton on 03/09/2014 15:44:31

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Here's my Kestrel.  Modified top decking to single cockpit type, evoking a '30's style racer.  An oversize pilot helps it look 'compact'.

Alas, it is no more.  Aiming for a fast low pass for a cameraman in the 'outfield' and silhouetted in the late afternoon sun, I misjudged the distance I was out and dropped down on the wrong side of our boundary hedge.  At full chat, the fus bored through while the wings hung up in the hawthorn!  Much hilarity ensued...

Kestrel.jpg

Kestrel (2).jpg

• Like 2

The one thing that should be done before starting such a rare kit is to draw around the parts so replacements could be made if ever needed.  Probably most of this one is on the plan but the wing section would not be shown.   So draw around the root and tip before joining the wing!   I think there were two different wing sections for tip and root on this design, and also there was a newer wing section on later models if the adverts/catalogue at the time were correct.

• Like 1

I live just outside Spalding where Masons Models shop is, Steve Mason has the rights to produce the old Skyways kits, he has been gradually updating the models to produce them as full laser cut kits (retaining the foam wings.) I popped in there yesterday to buy some bits for my latest plan build and had a chat about the Hawk 70. He showed me quite a few pictures of the laser cut parts of the new kit, i will see if he has a date when they will be available. I know this has been ongoing for several years but hopefully he is nearly there.

Ok, i already have another model on the go but have decided to slip the Skyway Models Hawk 70 on to the building board as a quick build..........well that is the idea anyway! No fancy stuff on this one, it will be film covered with a minimum of scale type detailing, it will be electric, probably 6 cell, might be a bit too tame on 4s. I will start a build thread over the weekend, i have quite a lot of the wood here already to cut the parts from the templates but i will require a few bits and will be going to my local shop which ironically is Masons Models, Steve now holds the rights to the Skyways range so he may have some advice on putting this one together.

IMG_20220323_231154_resized_20220323_111223961.jpg

• Like 3