Dylan's Dawn Flyer (normal Size)

Hi Dylan,

nice work. What I cannot see are the openings for the aileron servo cables or the two square bars where the aileron servo lid will sit. Will you open up one of the "production holes" where the screws where sitting during rib production or are you using another way to move the ailerons (one central servo) ?

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 11/11/2013 10:19:34

Yes VA the plan is to cut slots in the positions I drill when making the sandwich. The actual servo bays are not done yet and were planned for tonight, but woke up this morning with a stinking cold and really not up to much at the mo,mind you a bit of cyano vapour might clear the old cinuses lol.

I am just starting on constructing the wings using supplied laser cut wood parts.

I have placed the ribs in position on the 6 mm square spars, but found that the two slots cut on the leading edge end of the two ribs nearest the fuselage are larger than 6 mms, and so a loose fit. Has anyone else come across this? Is it an error or am I missing something?

Thanks, Dylan. I read about the extra pressures on you, and hope you can resolve them happily soon. I have found your blog to be excellent and really useful, with really good step by step detail so appreciated by a novice like me. Indeed, I do not go into my attic workroom without my IPad to refer to!

It's good to know you are happy to accept queries if I have any. Do tell me to push off if it gets too invasive; I will understand.

Well, it took a while but I finally figured out what cap strips are, where they go and what their function is!

A couple of queries -

Could you clarify what is the D section that gave you so much trouble fitting retrospectively.

Also, re positioning of the balsa strip that forms the leading edge. Should the front edge of the ribs be glued into the centre of this LE strip, so that both top and bottom edges of the strip stand proud of the ribs, allowing for the fitting of the cap strips and balsa sheeting on top, so that the latter two end up flush with the top and bottom edges of the LE balsa strip. Hope I am explaining myself clearly enough.

Thanks, Vecchio and Dylan. I sorted out the D section and cap strips.

I now have another stumbling block - the wing joiner. From Dylan's photo, it looks as if the wing joiner sits across the two ribs at the wing root end, against the two spars that join the first three ribs. The first two ribs have slots on their upper and lower edges but these do not allow the joiner to slide in and sit flush wit the upper and lower spars.

Do I need to cut through the first two ribs to allow the joiner to slide in, then gluing it securely in place?

And how do I set the correct dihedral?

I enclose a pic of the are under discussion. Thanks

wingjoiner.jpg

Hi John,

Once the wings are complete you will need to cut through the first two ribs to allow the joiner to drop into place flush against the two spars. It wil be a bit fragile at the point so handle with care. When happy with the fit glue the joiner in place with some strong epoxy.

On mine I set the dihederal by aligning the top spar with the top of the joiner. Seems to be about right as she flys nicely. Being 4 chanels you don't need very much dihederal.

Andrew.

Hi Phil, there is actually a slight dihedral on the plan, if the spars are positioned along the top edge of the joiner it will give a wingtip difference of about 28mm. If you place a straight edge across the two tips of the joiner on the plan you will see the centre is roughly 2mm below the straight edge, I did query this with Linds and he did confirm to follow the top edge of the joiner with the spars to give the dihedral, but to be honest, I wouldn't have thought with a shoulder mounted wing it would make too much difference to the flying, especially on such a light model.

Oh and in answer to the original question posed by John, I was a little confused on this as well, but what I did was cut the ribs to allow the joiner through but with a butt joint achievable and once happy with fit and position epoxied the whole lot together.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 24/11/2013 19:09:54

Phil, as the wing is a single piece then there is plenty of reinforcing already if you sheet the centre section straight across the centre join after you have joined the two halves. As you noted the dihederal is very slight so does not cause any issue and if done like this top and bottom then the centre section is extremely strong already without any additional reinforcing. Also don't forget you then have the built up centre to add on top of the wing which adds even more strength.

Andrew