Chris's Mini Tyro

A Mini Tyro wood pack arrived this morning, so:

Here we go on mine.

Having spent quite a bit of tim cutting ply formers for this:-

lanc6.jpg

it's a nice pleasant change to have some perfect looking laser cut parts:-

Here's all the Mini Tyro bits straight out of the packet.

tyro1.jpg

For this type of construction I tend to cut the shear webs beforehand, this speeds up assembly, spaces the ribs well and jigs them nice and upright.

tyro2.jpg

Of course having said that, they weren't quite the right size.

tyro3.jpg

here's the wing part way through.

tyro4.jpg

and a couple done. Easy peasey this laser cut stuff!

tyro5.jpg

Merlins for the Lanc - brilliant, why didn't I think of that ?

Yes it is indeed a Lanc, but it's based on a John Ranson and Trevor Stennard design. I've had the plan for years and it will be altered from the B1 Special version to one of the aircraft my father crewed as a member of 83 Sqdn. R5669 OL-E or R5913 OL-G
The model is 2.5M span, should come in under 7kg and be a good practical size.
As for a build thread, I probably will, but it's going to be a slow burn project with other things done in between, so if I do a thread, posts won't be very often.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 22/10/2013 22:22:55

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a little more workshop time this evening. I do really enjoy some of Boddo's old techniques.

First a photocopy of the plan, then the areas where glue was to be applied had sellotape stuck over them to stop the cyano sticking to the paper.

Here the tailplane was framed up with all the 3mm balsa that makes up it's core.
It was given a nice flat sand with the big block at this point to even out and slight unevenness in the surfaces.

tyro11.jpg

The photocopy was cut so the end profile could be transferred to the wood, and the ends were shaped.
tyro12.jpg

Next, more 3mm balsa was glued to one side.
tyro13.jpg

and the same on the other side.
tyro14.jpg

Finally the large sanding block really came into it's own, for sanding the whole thing to profile.
Making a nice light rigid structure.
tyro15.jpg

Here we go with the fuselage then.

Making absolutely sure that we're making a left and a right, doublers, wing seat and some 3mm sq were glued to each side.
For the doublers, I use aliphatic resin. To make sure I don't add too much weight, I tend to put glue on one doubler, the amount I'd usually use, then rub the two doublers together. This gives a good spread, halves the amount of glue and also helps ensure a left and a right is built.

tyro17.jpg

Then, in a departure from the usual sequence, the built up formers weren't built up. The parts were made, and separately glued to the fus sides. The engine bearers and formers were put together dry just to make sure the spacing of the fus sides was consistent.
tyro18.jpg

Cross pieces added, always checking and double checking for square.
tyro19.jpg

Dry fit again, more checking for square and alignment.
tyro20.jpg

Cyano applied, more checking, and then the lower cross pieces added.. I'm sure these are there purely for the ham fisted hand launcher that we all have in our clubs.
tyro21.jpg

Of course none of us ever have a sneaky peak of the parts together. Here with a coke can just to show how small this Mini Tyro is.

tyro22.jpg

The engine bearer parts won't be glued in until I've sourced a fuel tank, and have it to test for fit.

Can anyone help me find something suitable? Between the bearers is about 28mm and between formers is 35mm.

Looks really nice Chris....thumbs up

A couple of points from a fellow MT owner/builder..... wink 2

You might find a suitable tank here... don't forget to buy some fuel tube too...!!

When fitting the fin the plan shows it surface mounted to the rear sheeting & supported by square stock either side...a neater solution is to reinforce the rear sheeting internally with some soft 1/8th sheet & then cut a slot through the rear sheet & the 1/8th reinforcement & push the fin into the resultant slot......I extended the base of my fin to allow this so my suggestion might be a tad late....embarrassed

What are you going to finish it in??

Thanks Steve

Funny you should mention Dens for a tank, I have one in "my basket" on that site at the moment, along with some diesel tubing. Just thought I'd ask first though, as the one that fit's is a C/L metal one, but I'd rather have a clunk tank.

Yes good point on the fin, I looked at that today on the plan and thought how untidy the square stock looked.

Mind you, sometimes in an "accident" it's better that things get knocked clean off than actually snap something more substantial.

Finish? Still not quite decided, I would very much like to do it in tissue, but that may just be a little fragile. I may use a rather unusual technique to reinforce the tissue, we'll have to see

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 02/11/2013 17:02:59

Hi Chris, I had a good look when I built mine and didn't find any suitable clunk tanks. All the ones Den sells seem to be the wedge shaped aerobatic tanks which wouldn't work very well without the centrifugal force

I ended making a tin tank which wasn't half as complex or painful as I thought it would be. I put some pics of the tank made for my KK Phantom here. Which was exactly the same construction, but different dimensions to the Tyro one.

Making a tank to be the biggest it could be between the bearers, formers and roof I manage to get about 8 minutes out of my 0.75 mills. Which is plenty for me given the lack of throttle. It splutters nicely at the top of a loop of course, but thats part of the fun. will it cut... won't it cut... laugh

When you say an unusual technique to reinforce the tissue do you mean Mylar? I've been considering tissue over mylar for quite a while, if you do choose that method I'd love to know how you get on.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 03/11/2013 08:26:08