Chris's Mini Tyro

Yes there is definitely a danger Phil. For that reason, the fuselage won't have the film on it.

I was wondering if, say, the wing might blank both the aerials at the same time but then remembered, this isn't far from a free flight model and as such, ought to sort it's self out.

I don't think it will spend long with the wings between the Tx and Rx anyway, 'cos to do that it will be inverted. indecision

Not sure what TX your using but if you have a satellite rx then one in the lower front and one in the upper rear should help prevent both being totally obscured at the same time.

Also thanks for showing that pic you gave me some inspiration for and indoor antique style model I'm looking for a covering for. It reminded me I have some large cutoffs of some similar mylar used to tint car windows well worth a try I reckon

Phil

It's a spekky 4ch Rx Phil, with a long and a short aerial, so yes one can be poked backwards well behind the wing.

So, on to tissue.

I'm really pleased with the result but, then, I had the wind knocked out of my sails to some extent.

Here, the underside of the tailplane. It won't photograph but there's a nice almost metalic sheen to the tissue.

tyro34.jpg

Then, just as I'm on a roll, I apply the "piece de resistance" tissue to the top of the tailplane and hit a snag.

You'd think, that on pre printed tissue, the ink would be proof against dope?

Well, I was obviously too ham fisted. It still looks good. I've taken the photo too early as the dope isn't fully dry, you can see that in the red squares. But you can also see where the ink was pulled by the brush. Hopefully most of this will be covered by fuselage.

Here's the reveal photo - "ta daaa". Almost good isn't it smiley

tyro35.jpg

I'm very loosely basing it on this Steve.

So I did intend the top of the wing to be chequered with a black leading edge.

But it seems I missed that on the tailplane. It sort of happens as I go, so we'll see.

My biggest worry is that I've made the wing-tips lovely and compound curved, so I'm not sure how many creases and overlaps I'll have to try to deal with. I suddenly see why Mr Boddo Jnr put a straight edge on his.

I wonder if I can get black rubber bands?

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more shed time and were looking quite smart now.

The tissue was applied wet because
a) it expands a little when wetted with water or dope, so trying to stick it down dry means it tends to expand a little after it's stuck down. Let it expand with water, and this is alleviated.
b) being damp, it tends to stay where you put it while you apply the dope.

All that's needed now is one or two more coats of dope, to seal it all and clear any white bloom from the water.

tyro443.jpg

tyro44.jpg

(better go clean my lens by the looks!)

The undersides are plain red with a black L/E.