Chris's Mini Tyro

Hello.

Great looking model so far! I'm about to start building a Mini Tyro myself and just have a quick question - sorry to hijack this thread (I'll post any further more long-winded questions in their own topics).

What exactly are the two dowel holes for on the lower section of the fus, near where the u/c would be mounted? The plan features them, and you've drilled them in your model but I can't think what they could be for! I might be overlooking something simple here but I haven't built a model from a plan in a long time.

Cheers!

Hi Arron and welcome to the forum. Sorry I missed your post.

You're absolutely right about the undercarriage position. If an undercarriage is used, then dowels do go in those holes and the U/C is held on with rubber bands.

I'm not adding U/C, so wouldn't have drilled the holes. However, as I'm using the laser cut kit parts, the holes were there already. I did think about a bit of filler, but you never know, I might decide to add U/C. So for the moment they are just tissued over.

Steady but slow progress is being made, such as covering fin, rudder and elevator.

This morning I've hinged the rudder. This would have been easier and neater with some mylar hinges. But I've rather enjoyed the old sewn method.

tyro45.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a delay I recon the Tryo is finished. Well, as an electric version anyway.

The final jobs have been velcro-ing Rx and ESC in place, connection of the control surfaces, adding a couple of hatches and tissuing anything that wasn't already covered.

The power pod is now fixed too, by drilling though both bits of hardwood with a 2.5mm drill, tapping the fixed block out to M3 and opening the rail up to 3.2mm. This means that a couple of M3 bolts will be all that's needed to change from Electric to Diesel power pods.

The battery hatch is held with two cocktail stick dowels at the rear and two magnets at the front. It seems I need some sort of handle/lever to lift the front now, as I'm marking the lid with a fingernail.

tyro51.jpg

tyro52.jpg

tyro53.jpg

tyro54.jpg

oops, seems I need to glue the tailplane on too, instead of relying on these two temporary bolts that are only screwed into balsa.

tyro55.jpg

That's it then, pretty much. Just waiting for some maiden weather now.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/02/2014 16:39:55

Lovely Chris - and a smashing colour scheme. thumbs up

Looking forward to hearing about the maiden - but in this weather that could be a while away sad. Also looking forward to hearing that deisel at Greenacres! And have a sly sniff of your deisel fuel - just for old times sake you understand!wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/02/2014 23:23:10

Time to report that she flies a treat

Four fun filled flights completed now, a nice sedate pootle around on 2S, which would suit calm evenings and probably the single channel setup.

More of a hoologan on 3S though and there's a bit more power than can be completely trimmed out, mainly due to the flat bottomed wings I think.

Lots of fun though, and the wings stood some pretty severe looping, and a few very untidy rudder only rolls.

She's just a nice size to chuck in the car whatever else I'm taking to fly too, so might get flown quite a lot.

laugh

• 1 year later...
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/02/2014 16:32:07:

After a bit of a delay I recon the Tryo is finished. Well, as an electric version anyway.

The final jobs have been velcro-ing Rx and ESC in place, connection of the control surfaces, adding a couple of hatches and tissuing anything that wasn't already covered.

The power pod is now fixed too, by drilling though both bits of hardwood with a 2.5mm drill, tapping the fixed block out to M3 and opening the rail up to 3.2mm. This means that a couple of M3 bolts will be all that's needed to change from Electric to Diesel power pods.

The battery hatch is held with two cocktail stick dowels at the rear and two magnets at the front. It seems I need some sort of handle/lever to lift the front now, as I'm marking the lid with a fingernail.

tyro51.jpg

tyro52.jpg

tyro53.jpg

tyro54.jpg

oops, seems I need to glue the tailplane on too, instead of relying on these two temporary bolts that are only screwed into balsa.

tyro55.jpg

That's it then, pretty much. Just waiting for some maiden weather now.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/02/2014 16:39:55

what's the all up weight of the electric conversion?