ne....1's... pushycat for 2013

ken anderson.

the elevator and motor install....... nothing hard to do here.....the elevator was fitted with three mylar hinges and then the position transferred on to the tail plane..this was also slotted and the three hinges inserted and a small amount of cyno put on them to keep them in place( this was the same method as used for the aileron's earlier)...remember when I mentioned the hinge/blade coming out of the sheet during the process-have a look at one of the pic's to see the result and the repair...not to worry as it's all going to get covered...

check out also the motor installation ...put in position and held with the good old 'poundland clamp's'...checked for the correct position-the fuz sides marked and then the motor glued in position with 5 min epoxy..and a couple of 6mm square uprights to strengthen the firewall joint...and that's it...apart from a couple of photo's of no 4(naked) beside no 3........

pc4p01.jpg

pc4p02.jpg

pc4p03.jpg

pc4p04.jpg

pc4p06.jpg

pc4p07.jpg

pc4p08.jpg

pc4p09.jpg

pc4p10.jpg

pc4p11.jpg

pc4p12.jpg

the shot's of the motor-this set up give's me 180 watts/17 amp's using a 8*6E..prop...2200/3s lipo.....covering next....

ken Anderson ne....1.....pushycat dept...

Edited By ken anderson. on 08/11/2013 17:27:29

well as for the covering/colour scheme...i'm not a 100% certain what? ...I was thinking of twenty pound note's might be the cheapest option.....but as one of the natural leaders in our club/not- I was thinking of something different to do for a change......watch this space anyway-i'm still doing a bit of the final sanding-getting her ready for her new clothes...think it's time for JP to throw his cards on the table and let us have a photo or two of his offering? .....as we can all blow our own trumpet's etc......I think he's been re-programmed by that JC Carrs bounder from the badlands..

ken Anderson ne..1.......... throw your cards on the table dept.

So here it is - Pushycat 2b. Pushycat 1 was bought from a club-mate and almost totally destroyed in my first mid-air collision for years... And on only its 10 flight too.

Pushycat 2 was constructed using a (small) number of parts from pushycat 1. Basically just the canopy, the launch "handle" and F1. That failed (I blame the cheap poundshop PVA glue I used) pulling out of a high-speed dive, but much of that one lives on in the now slightly battle-scarred pushycat 2b!

2013-11-09 23.20.57.jpg

2013-11-09 23.21.08.jpg

2013-11-09 23.21.18.jpg

2013-11-09 23.21.36.jpg

And so Pushycat 2b returned to the skies this afternoon.

First flight was from a hand-launch by one of our club-members and was drama-free. Just a few clicks of trim needed and an 8-minute flight ending with a nice landing on the strip.

For the next flight I decided to try the underarm launch as mentioned by Ken and others. I just got away with it the first time - power and control were a bit marginal for a few seconds! Again an 8-minute flight and a landing on the strip.

On the next attempted flght the (self) launch seemed marginally better, though the end result was not! As it built up speed it dipped and just clipped the long grass at the edge of the strip with the prop. This was just enough to remove the prop complete with prop adapter leaving me with a slow-flying glider to land. The prop and adapter were found after a brief search but by now we were running out of daylight.

I might try a bigger/different prop next time to give a bit more 'oomph' - need to get the Wattmeter out though! I'd be interested to know props others are using on a PC with a 2200kv motor.

he big cover up-what can be said..all that beautiful craftsman ship/not getting covered over......a final sand of all the model to remove any 'run's' of cyno...and away we go.....the scheme i'm doing (not original-but copying someone's) is basically yellow-i'm using pro-film ...left over from a glider repair........I started with the wing bottoms first.....and then over to the top...the only thing that I do-the control surface's that were hinged with the mylar/cyno are also covered over to give a gap free strong hinge......the way I do it is iron on the covering up to the hinge line...fully deflect the- aileron in this case and run the covering and iron over it...when its down on the wing and aileron...then I gently run it along the hinge line........and that's it...........

pc4p1.jpg

pc4p2.jpg

pc4p3.jpg

pc4p5.jpg

pc4p7.jpg

the yellow peril is nearly ready......

ken Anderson ne..1.........pushycat dept....

Ken, When you planed the wings to shape did you have the wing tips on (opposite grain)? Just in the video graham has done, he says it's easier without them on. What's your opinion for a lad doing his 1st ever plan build yes

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 10/11/2013 23:07:40

Edited By brfc7 on 10/11/2013 23:08:49

Baz - when I built mine, as best I recall (well it was about 18months ago - the current rebuild just involved gluing the wing halves back together then a few little repairs on the fuz, plus new booms and tail) I did put the wing tips on before planing the wings and then wished I hadn't!

In hindsight, I'd say Graham's video has it right, but it's not the end of the world if you do put the tips on first.

baz-i would say its what you are comfortable with--I glued them on before and planed and sanded them as I went-----the balsa doesn't like the cross grained plane.....but the sandpapering sorted things......also during the putting together of the fuz bits-I glued on the wings and then ran a piece of balsa all the way along the bottom of the fuz.....covering the wing joint...use 1/8...or 3/32.....and sand it in at the front ect...make a tidy job.....same with the top deck bit...go over the front(F1 and then block in underneath) this gives you a strong 'beak'.......nose for the fuz.....check out previous photo's ......we want your PC to be a winner....

pc4h07.jpg

ken Anderson ne...1......beak dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/11/2013 08:35:18

Ah yes I get what you mean re "stronger beak" so the nose isn't just stuck on the end it's actually part of the front top deck too making it much stronger yes. Also good idea running a sheet right from f1 to f4 on the underside, finishes it off and looks much neater yes

All the bits I've done so far have been the measuring, drawing and cutting out of parts and some gluing, I've not done any planing or sanding yet so hopefully I can do a decent job of that too.

Probs concentrate on the wings this week, getting them plained to shape, glued together, cutting out ailerons and cutting slots in the wings to hold servos. Slow and steady is the way I'm doing it.

baz

some more covering done today-the model is a bit fiddly to do.......and really there's no right or wrong way to how to tackle it.....the beak is best done by gently heating and stretching the covering around etc........I had to stop after getting a visit from the mini ne...1 club(grand kid's) .....

pc4ab1.jpg

ken Anderson ....mini.. ne..1 dept.

pc4nm4.jpgpc4nm6.jpgpc4nm5.jpgpc4nm3.jpgpc4nm2.jpgtoday a bit more added to the colour scheme and I fitted the elevator servo-using clear silicon-check out the photo-I coated the side and bottom of the servo and fitted it to the bare wood and that was it......I have used this method on all 4 PC's.......see also the sealed elevator hinge and some silicone with a cocktail stick in-that after 3 hours cant be moved etc......see also the product placement for erfolg.........teeth 2

and for some reason the photo's when I'm attempting to put them on-are all going to the top of the post? ....

ken Anderson ne...1 .pushycat dept....