Bootlegger

Terence Moore

Once glued in place ( with my preferred aliphatic) the 1/4" pieces can be planed and sanded to follow the profile of the wings & tail; excess lengths to tips & root cut off, and centrelines marked for positioning of hinges. This sequence gives a better chance of correctly aligning ailerons & elevators, as it is much more difficult after bevelling their leading edges.

The attached photo should appeal to fellow "balsa bashers" the long shavings a result of a new blade in the razor plane, and setting the depth of cut just right.

ailerons 7 elevators ready to hinge

• 2 weeks later...

Having drilled for and dry fitted the Robart hinges ( 4 per aileron; 3 per elevator; 2 per flap) I bevelled the ailerons and elevators on both edges but the flaps only on the botoom, as they will only deflect down and are centre hinged.

Then it was time to make up the wing and tail tip blocks from layers of sheet balsa. Once laminated the centre lines were marked on, and the outline cut , with most of the surplus thickness/taper sawn off to reduce the amaount of razor plane work before glueing in place with the trusty "aliphatic"

Wing and tail tips have now been shaped, using marked centre lines as a guide to equal profiles top and bottom.

Ends of ailerons, elevators and flaps faced off with Minicraft fixed rotary sander (excellent set of modellers power tools) using the right angle guides, and then checking the control surfaces for equal length and width, very important for elevators and flaps, otherwise unwanted roll coupling can be induced.

Next job is to face up the ends of the control surfaces with thin ply, which helps in keeping clean edges for the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after the Christmas & New Year break, plus a spell "grounded" on to the project. I like to complete as much work on the flying surfaces as possible before either jointing them, or fixing in place.

So, the wings came from Steve with suitable slots for aileron leads, capped with balsa strip. This allows for draw strings to be easily fed through.
servo lead cut outs

Now ready to start installing retracts. Steve supplied the wing with the wheel wells and mounts cut out & loose lined ready for final trimming. He also supplied the mounts made up of 1/8" liteply base; 1/4" birch ply mount and 1/8" balsa cover plate, ready again for final shaping. Alternatives were supplied to suit with and without coil springs in the legs.

My photo shows that I am using e-flite retracts with coil springs.

retract cut outs

One tip I picked up from building my "Revenger" was to strengthen the bond of the undercarriage mounting plates by drilling and pegging the four corners with1/4" dowels, driven and epoxied into the foam cores.

The picture below shows this prior to the pegs being pushed down to finish flush with the top surface of the 1/4" ply plate supplied by Steve. This helps when flying from other than a smooth surface i.e. as per our club strip!!!!

u/c plate pegged

Similarly our strip is a bit rough, but the "Revenger" u/c mounts have held secure, even when the axles or legs have rotated ( I know I should file flats on them) . The dowels each have a pointed end, using a pencil sharpener, and are cut to length after sharpening, makinng them easier to hold,( a bit like a pencil in practice)

Shall shortly be moving back to the fuselage build now that i have the header and pipe for the K&B 100

Just when things were progressing nicely an avoidable delay. I bought an unused set of main gear e-flite retracts from a fellow club mate......no problems, buy the nosegear seperate.

However a lesson learned.... when ordering the replacement nose gear it is just that! The retract unit only, so had to then order the noseleg.

Fine, but again didn't read the web site properly, THE NOSELEG DOES NOT INCLUDE THE AXLE!!!!!!.

My fault entirely, but frustrates the progress of the fus!!!

Finally received the nose leg and axle. There is a novel slotted and rotating metal arm to which the steering pushrod is connected, but on this and my "Revenger" I had to change it to the other side. Great care is needed as the thin rod along which it rotates is well and truly screwed tight. Essential to have the correct screw driver.

Also the unit is mounted horizontally, and not to the back of the firewall, like air retracts etc. Therefore rails have to be epnosegear mounting railsoxied to the fuselage sides.