Bootlegger

Terence Moore

Martyn, I am lucky really in that my workshop is a small barn, fitted out with kitchen units and worktops on 2 sides, model storeage on the other. Working area in the middle, either using a Black & Decker "workmate" of "Great Mate" as supports.

It isn't always this tidy only when I photo post on line. It is also just big enough for me to practice hovering a small heli (Perkins Twister)...not very well.

The incidence meter was given to me by the son of a deceased modeller. I also have a digital one, but forgot to switch it off after the last time I used it.......flat battery.

Now I am seeking feedback/advice from those more experienced than me, relative to the elevator pushrod.

The elevators are hinged seperately, on the hinge line of the rudder.

With an anhedral tail do I either :- (a) make up an angled wire joiner with pushrod to one elevator only; (b) make up a single pushrod with forked ends to the elevators, needing identical geometry; (c) have 2 snakes/pushrods and join together at the servo end with single connection to the servo output arm?????

Advice please

Hi Terry. The angled wire elevator joiner will not work due to the geometry of the linkage. I would use a forked pushrod (as I have done on all my retro models). The two snake system is an option, as typified by the DEPS system described on the Central Hobbies. Giant Shark have dual elevator couplers but unsure of the how the widths would suit. Hope that helps.

Steve

Must admit I didn't realise giant shark did them for so little money or I think I would have gone for their dual linkage. I've used the MK version before but expensive at £35.

Takes a bit of finding on GS website you need to search for elevator not dual elevator.

Ah well too late to change now

FWIW.....................wink

Both my ARF Curare and the GP Dirty Birdy, have split elevators; both use the same method of elev control:

Two "snake" outer tubes, supported at ends & in the middle; and then 2 x 1.2-1.5mm steel pushrods with solder links & clevises at the tail ends, and joined together at the servo end (slight bend to get parallel) with either two wheel collars, or by binding/soldering (I did both for belts & braces); the servo end simply fits a standard servo arm with a 90deg bend & a "snap keeper". Did the same for the Curare flaps....................

It's simple, effective, and has NO slop (including that if you hold one elev, the other will NOT move relative to it). If the servo arm hole wears, very simple replacement at no cost.

I'm sure there are variations on the theme but in this case, the KISS principle works (as it did back in the day) & needn't cost a fortune in fancy after-market linkages....................yes

Just an alternative, simple view............laugh

Bill

• 1 month later...

Firstly many apologies for delay in continuing the build diary, caused by lots of work, which fortunately helps pay for hobby.

Moving on to the dual elevator pushrod. I used two snakes, the servo threaded ends of which were bolted to a strip of brass, which in turn was drilled for a 2 mm bolt, thread locked and to which the servo clevis was fitted.

Simple.

dual elevator pushrod

It was important to then secure the snake outers, close to the servo to prevent movement, but allowing a minute amount of twist to follow the rotary action of the servo output arm.

I secured them to a 1/2" strip of balsa with cable clips of the right diameter, screwed into the balsa.

Dual pushrod

Next to set up was the rudder pushrod, which I made up traditionally from dowel and 2mm. pushrods/clevises, taking care to avoid clashing with the elevator snakes.

It is my usual practice to install the radio equipment BEFORE sheeting the underside of the fuselage, in case any adjustments are needed.

rudder pushrod installed

Hi Terence, well done on a great project: You're obviously a "proper" builder, unlike me! One thing I noticed on your last photo though..............

The rudder pushrod has a substantial "Z" bend in the pushrod where it exits the fuz; I've done this in the past & found that the pushrod will very easily bend (sideways, ie in & out of the slot), which can in extreme cases, almost cancel out the required control action, ESPECIALLY under compression.............. in this case, left rudder input in flight would/could "blow back" the rudder by simply bending the pushrod. You can check if this will occur by holding the rudder servo with left rudder, then trying to straighten the rudder by hand.

The last model I experienced this on was an unflown scale model I was generously Bequeathed, on which "up" elevator at speed would have completely unloaded the elevators by compressing/bending the pushrod! (& it's a fast model). Needless to say, I modified the pushrod by stiffening & adding guides, before flying....................

Just a thought so that, if necessary, it can be sorted at this early stage (stiffer wire, much smaller Z bend, even a heavy-duty "snake" pushrod etc.)

Best regards & keep up the good work!

Bill

Now is the time to build up the belly pan, with wing bolted on, and a combination of sheet and triangular balsa.

I traced the proflle of the wing cut out from the fuselage onto 1/4" sheet sides, and reversed it, to get the correct shape ( as the wing is a fullt symmetrical section)

belly pan