Dylan's Dawn Flyer 200%

Thank you John, but it's not finished yet wink 2

I have looked at that idea, and still mulling it over, there are actually a couple of areas that need extra strength to the original one when you get to this size, actually considering rebuilding the fuz again but with those top longerons running full length to the front of the fuz, maybe, maybe not, might carry on, test fly this one and rethink if things fall off smile p

John is spot on on that weak spot mine hasn't even flown yet and a minor drop oo to the tail skid from 45 degrees(wheels on the floor) caused that balsa triangle to start to split the idea of running the longerons right through to the front of the main wing looks a way to go

Edited By Phil Winks on 02/01/2015 19:25:36

Yes the tail end has given me a bit of concern and I will probably scrap the first one and rebuild with a stronger design. I will be going for full rigging on the wings and the tail, I am also look at doing a pull/pull for the elevators as well as the the rudder. 1.5mm sheeting on the outer fuz will also be applied to strengthen up the weak point, and the rest I'll make up as I go smile p

What span are we talking here!!?? Just be careful of too much beefuppery or you'll end up with a model that has to fly too darned quick for its style. I'd use the original tailplane but fit cable bracing and it will still look like a Dawn Flyer. Obviously the above is just my opinion, there may be others!!

Ian.

Re reading my post, I don't think I quite worded it how I intended, I am just a tad frustrated at the mo, because I have spent 8 hours sorting a retract linkage on a so called artf, my own fault for putting down the DF and thinking I could get the chinese wonder done in a day ah well.

No, indeed there is no need to feel guilty at all, all suggestions are welcome, I was leaning toward Ians idea anyway really at the back of my mind after spending umpteen amounts of hours messing with WW1 stuff and knowing how they throw togetherwink 2, Ian has sort of reassured my thoughts, and as I say, he knows his big toy stuff smiley

I am still thinking of a few strengtheners in the tailplane, but nothing over major as I want to keep it light.

The scarf is on order John smile p

Nice work there Dylan. Looking at the photos last night (or rather early this morning) made me want to get my DF out again. Unfortunately our field is like a bog at the moment and I wouldn't like to have to clean all the mud out of the rear framework!

I would think that even with a little strengthening it's still going to be a nice slow floater.

• 3 months later...

WOW! has it really been that long since I did anything to her? well here's a quite update to where we are with it (amazing what you can get done in a week off lol)

I didn't like the 2" ali tape I used on the front end to simulate an ali cowl so I stripped it and built a "proper" one, this is my first attempt at ali litho plate work

(I'm just gonna post the pics and not go into too much detail unless anyone has specific questions)

First some templates

template 002.jpg

template 003.jpg

card template 001.jpg

Then cut the litho plate

cowl parts cut.jpg

Then add a little detail in the way of rivets

first rivets.jpg

rivets 002.jpg

rivets 003.jpg

Then a bit of bending and gluing sees it fall into place

cowl part 001.jpg