Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the very popular BMFA "In the Air Tonight" - An introduction to Aerobatics, the LEICESTER MODEL AERO CLUB are to host an event on Saturday 7th August (subject to Covid regulations) at our site near Market Harborough Leicestershire. Places are limited so please book early. During the day, you will be assigned to an experienced Mentor who will be able to assist with correct model set up and all important model trimming. (some of the mentors have represented the UK at World Championship events) Any model that is capable of a loop and a roll will be suitable but must comply with an 82db maximum noise limit. You will be able to hone your skills throughout the day and for those interested will be able to enter a low key Competition at the end of the day. These events are a great opportunity to take your present flying abilities and develop these onto new levels. Please follow the link below to apply for a place and select CLUBMAN as your entry. NB for this event you DO NOT have to be a member of the Great Britain Radio Control Aerobatic Association (GBRCAA) nor a member of the Leicester Model Aero Club. https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/ejdRolp3f4Txck19 Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to give me a call or drop me a pm.

Amazon Australia have Peter's book but they would only deliver to addresses in Australia until now and if you were in New Zealand you still had to get it from the international Amazon. This meant it was better to get it direct from Peter or as Dale did from Bondaero. Saw on the news tonight that the Amazon Aussie warehouse is now delivering to NZ. I checked their website and it looks like they will send it to NZ for reasonable postage costs. So if there's anyone else in NZ on the forum who would like a copy, its available from Amazon Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a noticeable bump in sales Ron, but it's now subsided to more normal levels.  It still surprises me how many books have been sold and that they have been bought in the following countries:  USA, Germany, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and read on Kindle Unlimited in Brazil and Japan.  

Peter , may I ask a question about one of the recommendations made in Ch 2 regarding engine realignment to achieve S +L  flight as full throttle is applied ? In dot point 21 it says "the adjustments for an electric motor will be the other way round to get the same effect . " 

This seems counterintuitive , what is the physics to explain this phenomenon ?

This is an exceptionally well written book . The point form layout makes for clarity and effective delivery of advice . For those sitting on the fence who are " beginners and improvers " , its full of gems and a bargain to boot.

Hi Andy

Thank you for your kind words.

I was told I should have put a diagram in to make it plain.  So, in the next edition that's what will be there.  The full text says "for a front mounted electric motor the adjustment is the other way around". 

The point is that with an IC engine it is mounted at the rear and so is a rear mounted electric motor.  So both adjust in the same way.  That is if the aircraft is pulling to the left your need more right thrust and vice versa.  You achieve this by putting a washer(s) behind the left mounting lug and the fuselage bulkhead to stop the aircraft pulling to the left

On the other hand, a front mounted electric motor needs to have the washer(s) in between the right motor mount and the bulkhead.  The motor thrust line moves in exactly the same way but with the mounting at the front you need to shim the opposite side to a rear mount to achieve that.  This is pure geometry and nothing to do with any odd physics phenomena.

I hope the attached diagram helps to clarify the above.

Side thrust.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just received a further supply of my book so if any forumite would like to purchase a copy, which I am happy to autograph (well some people ask for my signature!), please send me a PM giving your name and address.  For UK based folk, the price will be £15.50 which includes first class post and packing - on Amazon the book retails for £19.99 plus postage unless you are a Prime subscriber.  For other geographies, I can let you have a quotation once I have established the postal costs.  The book has now sold over 300 copies world-wide and has received some very good reviews.  Surprisingly, some who have purchased the book fly in their national teams so clearly I must be getting something right!

Peter

Edited by Peter Jenkins
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keith Jackson, who writes the Aerobatics column in RCM&E, has reviewed my book.  Keith has flown for the GB F3A team many times and has given the book a thumbs up,  You can read his review on page 32 of the latest issue of the magazine.  Thank you Keith.

Edited by Peter Jenkins

Hi Keith

I very much enjoyed your book, thank you.

I have one question regarding the spin entry and recovery.  If you wish to track "along the line" with a crosswind the heading at spin entry will be into wind, I have found this to be quite a large drift angel due to the reduced airspeed of the model at spin entry.  Is the spin recovery now after x turns (say 2) or is the recovery now completed onto the line (perhaps 2 turns plus 30 degrees if there was 30 degrees of drift?).  Do you know if that is the same for the B Test, or in that case is 2 turns only required?

Many thanks

Tim 

Hi Tim

I’m assuming you are pointing the question at me, Peter, as the book author.  Keith Jackson did the review.

Let me take the B test scenario first.  I don’t know if you have the Fixed Wing Flying Test Guidance Document (link) as the Spin for the B is covered on page 20 sub para (i).  I have reproduced the text below regarding spin recovery:

"After an appropriate time (depending on the model) controls must be centralised, any anti-spin actions taken (sometimes necessary) and the model recovered onto the same heading it had when the manoeuvre was started."

That having been said, you need to remember that once you have the aircraft heading such that it is flying along the desired track along the ground, as it slows up to the stall prior to the spin, the heading should remain constant while the ground track will alter as the airspeed reduces.  You should not see a change in heading of the model.  If you do, then the wings are not level and the aircraft is turning - wrongly referred to as weather cocking.  This situation is easily remedied by gently rolling away from the direction of turn until the turn stops at which point the wings are level.  The aircraft’s track along the ground will now be blown to the downwind side of the desired track - but that's OK.

As regards how spins are judged in F3A aerobatic competitions, the rules are set out in the FAI’s Sporting Code and the relevant section is below:

"After the defined number of turns, the stop of rotation is judged in the same manner as for a roll, downgraded 1 point per 15 degree deviation of heading. The spin rotation should stop parallel to the flight line."

So, for competition, your spin exit should be on the track direction even though the entry might have been at an angle to the track direction. 

For the B, the requirement is for a 3 turn spin that is measured from your starting heading.

I hope I’ve answered your point.

Peter

Peter, my apologies. A poor start to my question and entirely an error on my part.

Thank you for your explanation, which is very clear on the number of turns.

But, to be clear on the line to be flown prior to spin entry, having established a heading after the top of the manoeuvre, I hold the heading and allow the track to deviate from along the line (which might bring the model closer to me if the wind is into my face?).

Thanks again.

Tim

Hi Tim

The rules acknowledge that once the aircraft is in a stalled condition the pilot has no control over it.  So, it is up to you to position the aircraft so it doesn't get blown too close to you - or too far into the distance - while it is spinning.

For the B you have plenty of time to position the aircraft for the spin.  Just remember that you should have a period of level flight as you decelerate to the stall and spin.  You must always see the nose pitch down as the aircraft stalls before immediately applying full rudder.  Always check the wings are level by not having the aircraft turn as it slows down.  Of course, the aircraft will have been flying a curved course before it slowed down but as the speed decreases the radius of turn decreases and so becomes more obvious.

Hope that makes sense.

Peter