Lockheed Vega

Lindsay Todd

Kc 3.9lb less Lipo Cell, I call that her dry weight really rather than including the battery. yes a little bit up on the project goal but not a million miles away and I have upped the power spec and infact added a little more detail than I originally planned, I could have saved a couple of ounces on the wheels by using foam options and down graded the servos to MG mini's but what's a few ounces at the end of the day. The glass finish is never the lightest option but certainly the most hanger rash freindly. What we hopefully have is a reasonably light but robust airframe. I have not weighed the 5000mah Lipo and as I also have other cells available and need to experiment a little to find the optimum CG position. All up flying weight probably about 41/4lb so not too bad. That is assuming she fly's. Linds

Some 3S 5000mah seem to be about 13 ounces so that would make almost 4 pounds 11 ounces ( assuming your 3.9 lb meant 3 pounds 14.4 ounces and not 3lb 9oz )
Thats about what I expected but still extremely good for this style of model with lots of detail.

Always difficult to predict final weights, the best we can ever do is relate them to similar models or projects and inevitably they often surprise how the weight can pile on, especially towards the end of a project. I am pretty pleased really at this one, is was a deliberate task to keep the weight down, hence the chosen construction method but it does seem to have worked out ok. Next time I think I might keep the figure in my mind and not in the text but its all part of the fun and challenge when I do these things and the forum keeps it real, I like that. Here's hoping for some descent weather soon. Linds

Linsay I have been watching your build with interest. I have and remain impressed with all aspects of the build.

I will confess, that my interest is not without self interest, with a view to borrowing ideas. I have a Black Horse, Gilmore Special, a ARTF model in its box. My intention is to electrify it, when i come to do the deed I hope you will have an input. I am particularly interested in your Lipo mounting, size etc.

As for your model, go on, spoil us, with some more fully assembled pictures.

It is obviously a good basis of a lot more Lockheed designs.

I must say, I am also impressed with speed of your build, particularly, as my own pace is very slow, and also lacking in the skill and obvious precision that you display.

Many thanks Erfolg, regards the speed of build, yes this has been a quick one as work and other projects demanded I get a move on. As for the skill bit, not really, most of my woodwork came via my father and family being allowed to wield woodworking tools from an early age, our family were partners in a traditional furniture manufacturing business up until the late forties and had a pet hatred of anything other than traditional skills, I effectively served an apprenticeship before I was ten years old. My father was a stickler for craftsmanship that as the years go by I find more and more excuses for shortcutting but he must have taught me something I guess.

I'll get a few assembled photos, flight shots and video as and when the weather allows. Linds

Too generous RLG but many thanks.

I have now had a chance to look at the motor performance and can report that the Turnigy 3548 1100kv with a 12x6 APC on the 5000mah 3cell lipo gave me 500watts at 43Amps, more than I actually expected and should have more than adequate power as a result. With the weather not playing ball I was down at my mates workshop so took the chance to get a few assembled photos on the bench.

vega 98.jpg

vega 100.jpg

vega 101.jpg

vega 102.jpg

vega 104.jpg

So its time to start writing and getting the plan finalised, assuming no disasters occur with the flying side.

Video and aerial shots asap. Linds

• 1 month later...

Well after what has been weeks of waiting at last today provided an opportunity to maiden the Lockheed Vega.

s1020694.jpg

With all the ground shots out the way little excuses were left so Amelia pointed the Vega into the wind and opened the taps and off she went, straight and true a little elevator and she was away.

vega in flight 3.jpg

Just a couple of clicks of aileron were all that was required for straight and level. I was quite taken aback by her speed and half throttle was more than adequate but in the almost still conditions it was quite difficult to get her to slow down.

vega in flight 1.jpg

Stall is very benign eventually dropping a wing tip when provoked under fall elevator and silly slow speed high alpha with recovery almost immediate so the CG seems spot on. Controls nicely harmonised so will probably leave the throws as they are. Approach was rock steady and a three pointer landing concluded the first flight.

vega in flight 2.jpg

We shot some video so will add a link once its edited but a successful conclusion, happy with this one for sure.

Linds