What shall I build using this as a powerplant?

pitts is no big deal to fly martyn, looking at your profile and what you've flown. youll be fine

they slow down quicker throttled back, but you'll cope. have a look at a cermark pitts for strut connection its great method. had one myself, flew lovely absolutely viceless. just need to fly onto floor not float in.

Just going back to the fuel consumption and petrol conversion, I have a guzzling Saito 180, and just converted to spark ignition - still using glow fuel.

Fuel consumption has halved, and easy to start by hand every time, low reliable tick over and instant pickup.

Just used a Just Engines spark conversion kit.

There is no need to move to petrol, and change the compression and all the plumbing (not import and on a new build I know)

Andy

Posted by Andy Green on 17/12/2013 23:14:50:

Just going back to the fuel consumption and petrol conversion, I have a guzzling Saito 180, and just converted to spark ignition - still using glow fuel.

Fuel consumption has halved, and easy to start by hand every time, low reliable tick over and instant pickup.

There is no need to move to petrol, and change the compression and all the plumbing (not import and on a new build I know)

Andy

sounds good not got knowledge of it myself

Posted by Andy Green on 17/12/2013 23:14:50:

Andy

Hi Andy

How did it affect the power output? I think Glow fuel expels more energy per burn cycle than petrol

Martyn

Hi Martyn,
the Pitts at 72" span sounds just about perfect for your engine.I flew for years a 72" biplane with a st 3000,and it was an ideal powerplant.The model was a 1/4 scale Krier Kraft Acromaster,which weighed about 16 lbs,the power was more than adequate.Point the nose in a vertical climb,it just kept going up.I sold the model to a club-mate,who wrote it off on his first outing with it ! The model was so impressive,I've nearly completed a copy of it........Mal

Thanks Mal

That is very reassuring...

Also looking at the YAK54 - I have discounted the YAK 52 - too agricultural

That looks like it may be a bit on the edge of critically unstable. Just looking at it - not measured it, but the tail volume coefficient looks to be on the low side. Nice looking aeroplane though with big moving surfaces.

These radial engines are popular aren't they?

Martyn