Forum Usage

Martyn K

Is it me? (Probably)

I get the feeling that forum usage has declined somewhat in the past 12 months. Is it because there are more proper jobs out there and less of us with UB-40?

Just gut feel, but I'd be interested to know how many visits and posts the forum gets every month. The stats must be there somewhere..

Martyn

Well I've been a lot quieter because my proper build (Dennis Bryant Turbulent) has been shelved during the 'flying weather' (was there any?). In the meantime I've put together a YT Monsun (ASP 91FS) and spent the year trying to get it to fly nicely and we are about there!! Also put together a Hk (as YT ) Zlin 50L (ASP 70FS) which is soon to maiden. Had a 'quick' build of an Oodalally which I hope to maiden in the New Year and I am refurbing a 63" Super Chippie which I bought in a sad state for about £8.50! Oh, nearly forgot the Phoenix 2000 powered glider - or was that the year before!

I found that I was doing too much to also write up on the forum but I've been reading a lot of other active Forumites interesting input and feel suitably shamed that I haven't put much back in!

However, the Turbulent is back on the bench - P/O Fearless has been in rehab and is now fit and ready to carry out further inspection work and so far is still off the booze! I, however, have become a New Generation Enginista and with all that that entails have been re-learning how to do a lot of new skills properly wink 2!

I hope Santa is bringing me a few new Rc goodies and will let you know......

Onwards and upwards Forumites!

Terry

I believe that this forum (despite its flaky software) has gone from strength to strength.

Another forum I frequent has today announced its closure at the end of the year.

I myself have been far more active on here this year than last. Will it change pattern again next year? Who knows.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 16/12/2013 17:24:13

Well I have thought for some weeks this forum was too quiet.

It is obvious that certain people make this forum - just a few who will make a worthwhile comment on almost any subject. Their comments are worth reading even if you dont agree with them or when you know nothing about that particular subject. Often they will start an interesting discussion on some very unusal subject. We all learn something from this new subject.
Some of these key people have been missing or not said much recently.

But why? It could be the increased frequency of deletions by moderators.....a good discussion gets going and suddenly items are deleted or the thread frozen. There may be good reasons for that but if you are the innocent victim that is given no chance to reply to your critics it's most frustrating.. Maybe people gave up because of that.

Free speech is important.

Edited By kc on 16/12/2013 17:38:06

Actually kc - I don't think that deletions by moderators have ever been at lower level. I've been a mod on here for sometime now and there have certainly been times when we have had a lot more to do. Barring the odd new member who perhaps isn't fully aware of the rules on here, most established members seem to be perfectly happy to work within those rules.

Regarding "answering your critics" - well that's exactly what we don't want! If someone does step outside the boundaries of what is acceptable surely the best course of action is for the mods to deal with that individual, via deletion of posts and sanctions if necessary, rather than you simply embark on a counter slanging match. Of course if that is what you are looking for please feel free to PM me - I know of two or three forums which would be happy to accomodate you and I'll pass on the details!

On the question of how busy the forum is; well, as one person has remarked, these things go in cycles and so it depends a lot on what time scale you choose to measure over. This last week or two has been quieter than usual I think - probably due to Christ shopping! - but over the last six months there has been considerable growth in both post volume and new members. David would have the actual stats, but I know that I'm writting a lot more "welcome to the forum" posts than ever before and soon we will hit 30,000 members having celebrated 25,000 not so long ago.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/12/2013 18:42:06:

This last week or two has been quieter than usual I think - probably due to Christ shopping!

And what do you think he's bought ?

Some fresh straw for the ass & ox, socks for the shepherds (real wool of course) & perhaps a bottle of sherry to welcome the Magi when they arrive with the gold, frankincense an mincemeat pies ?

teeth 2

I think there's probably as much chance of a definitive answer as to why forum usage fluctuates as there is to a convincing explanation for climate change, IMHO. I can't provide figures as I'm not privy to the usage stats but I can say I see a constant stream of new members, a percentage of whom readily join in, the remainder apparently lurking. I have to assume those who lurk are gaining something from the content here......

It doesn't take much for a forum to go from 'bustling' to 'ticking-over' - if we think back a few months the Panther and Tom Wright's autogyro threads were very busy indeed, replaced by the current Mass Build threads which are getting regular contributions. Some evenings are busy, others have fewer contributions - it is a 'living organism', if you will - and we all take a chance to catch forty winks from time to time, don't we?smile

A turnover of members, the economy, the weather, new model releases, new developments in aeromodelling and a plethora of other factors are all contributory. This past summer seems to have made flying a lot more pleasant than recent years and thankfully, it meant a lot of folk were getting out there rather than sitting at the PC or whatever. What we do notice, as moderators, is that a persistent spell of bad weather really does manifest itself as grumpiness and tetchiness on the forum, when folks' frustration can tend to surface, but more of moderation later....

Like other posters here, I, too, frequent other forums and only recently there has been much discussion about why one forum is nose-diving whilst another goes from strength to strength. The answers have been identified in those threads elsewhere but, as is ever the case, it's a lot more difficult to pull yourself out of a hole than to fall into it in the first place.

Whilst not everyone may agree, the feedback we get does confirm that we have the level of moderation about right, for this particular forum. You have to remember that this forum is the online presence of RCM&E magazine and, as such, there is an editorial responsibility to ensure that what appears is truthful, accurate and of a standard acceptable to readers and contributors of all ages.

To achieve this, there has to be an intolerance of personal insults, bad language and flaming/trolling - all those things seen so often in other forums. The net effect is that, in my opinion, many members feel more comfortable about posting here, safe in the knowledge that they will not be subject to insults or ridicule. Tame it may be to some but I believe the overwhelming majority prefer it this way.

Other forums don't necessarily have that editorial responsibility, or choose to operate a more relaxed, laissez-faire style, which appeals to some but not all. If I want to be a bit punchy, controversial or just plain mischievous, I go elsewhere....which is fine by me, as I know it will be accepted there and treated as the norm.

All we ask here is that folk exercise a modicum of self-control and consider the effect they may have on another before they post - it's not difficult. One can express disagreement in a non-confrontational, agreeable way, with a bit of forethought.

I'd take issue over the assertion that the frequency of deletion/moderation has increased, IMHO. In my experience, the level and nature of moderation has been fairly consistent since I joined the forum, back in 2008. We've had little occasion recently to do anything other than step in to tidy up a few threads, calm down some raised hackles before things get too unpleasant, and remove anything which we felt breaches the Code of Conduct.

It is sometimes better to anticipate the direction a thread is taking and steer it back to something acceptable, at the risk of upsetting someone whose nose may be put out of joint, than it is to let it degenerate into an open slanging match. As I mentioned earlier, a 'pause for thought' before pressing the 'Add Posting' button is all that is needed - if you're unsure, you can always refer to the C of C.

TBH, although I'm tempted to suggest we mods work damned hard to keep the forum ticking over, in reality it is largely self-moderating because most members understand and accept the limitations. For that, we thank you!

By the way, you wouldn't believe the agonising and discussion which goes on behind the scenes when a thread is unravelling. I can assure you that deletions are far from arbitrary, nor based on the personal prejudices of moderators, despite what some may think!smile

Pete

Posted by PatMc on 16/12/2013 19:43:41:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/12/2013 18:42:06:

This last week or two has been quieter than usual I think - probably due to Christ shopping!

And what do you think he's bought ?

Some fresh straw for the ass & ox, socks for the shepherds (real wool of course) & perhaps a bottle of sherry to welcome the Magi when they arrive with the gold, frankincense an mincemeat pies ?

teeth 2

LOL! Nice one! Ah well - it happens to us all!

BEB

Nicely put Pete and Dave, couldn't have put it better myself.

I've just checked the latest figures. I only have site stats, which isn't the same as forum stats of course. It's easy to forget sometimes that a number of other areas here see traffic - the events listing and classifieds being significant.

The figs show we're running pretty unchanged, perhaps a tad higher in the last few weeks than in previous weeks.

As Pete and Dave have said, it ebbs and flows but the last month or so has been pretty quiet from the moderation standpoint with a good steady stream of new members saying hello.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 16/12/2013 20:22:32

I've not posted much this year but I'm still here lurking and find the site just as interesting as when I first signed up. I did post more during the mass build 2011-12 because this was the result. All I can say is well done everyone and may I wish you all A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Regards Lee

matador barnsley02- 24_11_2012.jpg

Well looking back here are some "milestones"

Feb 2011 - We passed through 19,000 members and activity was running at around 3,000 unique logins per day to the site.

June 2011 - 20,000 members.

June 2012 - 24,000 members.

Sept 2012 - 25,000 members.

Dec 2013 (Today!) - 29,135 members and I believe unique logins running just a little under 5,000 per day.

So, I'd say that over the longer term that's pretty steady growth. But of course there have been busier and quieter periods over those 21/2 years or so.

BEB

It often seems the latest posts are just new members saying hello and everyone else jumping on the bandwagon to welcome them!
This really is not helpful for worthwhile discussions.
Dont get me wrong - I am always very keen to answer any newcomers aeromodelling problems if I can. If newcomers or anybody asks about building or what model to have it usually makes interesting reading. But just a succession of people greeting each other is boring. Could this be one of the problems? It's the "drop in and say hello" message that prompts them.
Maybe instead of everybody welcoming the newcomer and taking lots of forum space it would be better to have a standard welcome message sent privately explaning all the relevant help available.

Just a thought but the membership is steadily rising so why are we looking to fix something that isn't broken. There are some really useful topics and dodges described here and, in the main, the place is treated with the respect and restraint that is becoming of people of a certain maturity.

It is also a place that one can dip into and out of depending on our personal circumstances and that too is a good thing.

As for the number of postings.....well for me I look at the number of viewings a topic receives to judge whether or not it is an interesting subject or just one that members like to look at. Sometimes a controversial thread brings out a bit of passionate disagreement in the postings and the viewings rocket. All well and good within bounds.

I for one am very grateful to the moderators who keep this site running. If other web forums fall by the wayside that does not mean that we have to look at ourselves.

Gary

If a new member has taken the trouble to introduce themselves to the community I think common courtisey demands that the community extends a welcome back to them. I do not see this as "jumping on the band wagon" - its merely a positive and tangible expression that this is a friendly forum. How would it seem if a newcomer were to post for the first time and nobody answered and they just received a standard PM telling them the rules? I can't see that as a method to expand membership. As for "taking lots of forum space" - well the forum is a virtual space - so as such its "virtually limitless"! wink 2

BEB