It's Injury Time!!!

Chuck Plains

Not to be too light hearted and glib, but Crispen, what do they use to look for your tendons, a JCB? On a more serious note I have a very large junk out of my work desk courtesy of a Futaba and a Ripmax spit, and it reminds me every time I'm messing with with props to be very careful. Personaly I take the prop off if I'm firing up the esc, otherwise I just power up the RX with a RX battery.

Sorry got no gory photo's to share!

John

the cut on my thumb i was cutting away from my self just a shame a was holding the other end

but i can now feel and move my thumb all be very little so i think a good job done as was told expect to loose the nerves that side

and as for the prop strike model was restrained i was just thoughtless and my hand went in the arc

its just a so-and-so trying to get blood out of balsa and not being able to even think of flying for more than 12 weeks

as for the futaba issue so easy done may be fail safe wrong way round and tx turn off and back on when coming out of programing

so easy to say should off done this or that afterwards

(Edited for language!.....)

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 17/12/2013 22:33:36

Mowerman

I do think that the under and overarm launch of pusher props is potentially hazardous. I have three models that require this form of launch. I personally adopt an exaggerated throwing action, where my arm is purposely carried through, in some respects as when throwing a Javelin. To date I have never been caught out, I do wonder from time to time, by how much does the hand get missed by the prop.

As has been suggested, a lethargic type launch, relying on the urge from a powerful motor and prop combination, can result in a cut.

I have wondered how universally practical would a bungee launch be, with the motor of, initially.

With respect to Zaggi motor gliders side arm launch work well for some. I am not sure that I am up to it though!

Hi Chuck, very sorry to see your injury, but it could have been very much worse. You were not the first and will not be the last pal. Props, scalpels, etc are part of the hobby. As Erfolg said above," accidents will happen".But if we learn from our mistakes, they may not happen again we hope. Bet it has 'not stopped you building though Chuck. Cheers ps my feeling go out to all who have been injured. If I can work out how to move a picture from "my pictures" and post it I will show you what happened to me. Cheers

Posted by FastFlyer Smyth on 17/12/2013 01:43:53:

- came over with a tube of balsa cement and filled the hole I remember it stinging a bit. lol

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 17/12/2013 01:49:57

A bit FFS, I remember the yellow stuff they used in the play ground now that used to sting1 But Balsa Cement and Super Glue well!!!

Makes my eyes water just thinking about it... Best rapid fix ever though.

David who needs plasters dept.

Posted by Erfolg on 17/12/2013 12:06:33:

Much preferring a slow jig saw, or even slower fret saw. Just because the injuries are generally far less sever.

Erfolg my friend, that is a perfect 'faux pas'. I realise you meant to say severe, meaning 'very bad'. But you typed sever, which means to cut off!!! laugh

My foam delta creation is back in almost one piece. Though it has gained more weight now than it lost during my foolishness! Meh.

The cuts are superficial to be honest, and I can see they're merrily healing after just over one day. They may or may not be mostly gone by xmas. Hahaha! My mum will raise hey eyes to the heavens when I tell her about my dipstick moment!

I'm going to post my foolishness on RC Groups too, where I'm called ' cheapncheerful '.

I'm glad this is a popular thread. If it helps just one other person avoid injury, it's existence is justified.

Well Chuck I thought I was the onlt one who had done this so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I did EXACTLY the same thing luckily with a small model which flew farwards & smashed into the workshop wall......luckily the only damage was to the model & my fingers/hand/other tender bits were totally unscathed.

I was very lucky in my stupidity......dont know

I now ALWAYS remove the prop when working on a model....thumbs up

Back in the spring I tried to stop a ST 51 going full chat with my left hand, not a good idea. A flying buddy drove me to the hospital and after four hours at the local A&E I was stitched and super glued back together. It would have been longer but the nurse noticed I was dripping blood after it leaked through all the rags I had round it. Major lacerations of thumb and index finger plus minor cuts to other fingers and palm. I like to do things properly. It only takes a moments lack of concentration.

MORAL NEVER NEVER FLY ALONE.

Unfortunately this type of mistake is not confined to aeromodelling. I was chopping up vegetables in the kitchen on Monday with my razor sharp chopping knife. Well, you know how you press a bit bit harder when the knife meets resistance?

I was surprised at the amount of blood. I did not know a finger could bleed that much................crook

Four Fingered Pete

A few war wounds there ,it's amazing what a spinning prop (even a small one ) can do to you'r soft fingers .I removed a few though from my finger whilst committing the cardinal sin of the model fraternity I stuck my finger through the prop whilst reaching over it ooooya! face 3