Flair Fokker DVII

Hi all.

New to the site and believe that Santa may be about to deliver a NIB Flair Fokker DVII kit. I know that others are already mid build on similar models but thought it best to start my own blog rather than cluttering theirs with all my trials and tribulations.

In preparation have just sent off for the Williams Bros Spandau guns and pair of palmer cord wheels. Just hope my assumption about Santa's generosity and his ability to read my Christmas List is accurate!

In the interim, guess I ought to research a colour scheme. It appears there are a few to choose from!!!!!!

I would not waste your time or money with Arizona models ,there bad news , look on rc universe for a very long thread about this.Also remember that the only really accurate thing about the Flair Fokker is the name ! That's to say that it's very much "stand well off" scale so spending a few days painting the lozenges is a much more cost effective than buying from the USA at considerable cost ! .

Paint that lozenge boy!!! (Jeff - stand well loff scale - love it wink)

I made some templates from card and pencilled them onto white 'tex. I took the laptop to B&Q, and looked at the matchpots to get the colours right, masked off with professional masking tape and sponged it on. Two coats of fuel proofer over the top - job done!

d7 58.jpg

d7 31.jpg

d7 27.jpg

d7 28.jpg

Edited By Stevo on 27/12/2013 19:31:07

Gentlemen,

The lunchbox has landed. Finally got to open it. Studying the build starts tomorrow.

Stevo, thank you for your tip on how to produce the lozenges. Will experiment on some scrap tex. Santa also brought me one of the Osprey books, Fokker DVII Aces Part 2. So lots of colour plates and info to drool over whilst the build starts. (Also as complete surprise a 1957 vintage Kielkraft magazine which focuses on WWI fighters.

First photos should appear below:

img_1604.jpgimg_1605.jpg

I have been examining the plans and am trying to decide in what ways this is 'only' stand off scale. I know that the real aircraft has cambered undersurface to the wings. Other than that the outline appears fairly close, although I haven't been able to cross check the dimensions of the tailplane against scale outline.

Any hints welcome. I would like to build as near to scale as possible and intend detailing accordingly.

Thanks for any input.

One thing you could emulate is the spar and L.E capping...OK so the picture is not a DVII, but the idea is the same... Also work on that tail skid. You will have no alternative but to go for the Williams Brothers guns, I'm afraid!

You may want to have a look at my dummy engine which may give you ideas.

d7 11.jpg

Edited By Stevo on 04/01/2014 19:47:03

Edited By Stevo on 04/01/2014 19:48:12

Thanks Steve,

Ordered the Williams Spandau x 2 last week from Omnimodels in USA. $28 including post and packing! thats about half UK price.

Your engine looks great. Found some great pictures on the Wingnut Wings site. The downloadable PDF instructions have lots of archive photos and diagrams (Mercedes and BMW variants).

Picked up a set of FLAIR palmer cord wheels too. Never detailed an open cockpit before. Should be fun with styrene tube etc. Again some great diagrams (albeit of 1/32 scale plastic model) on Wingnut site. I have a box full of small compression springs which could probably be put to use at top of dummy rocker arms too.

Pull/pull for rudder and elevator?

All this talk of detailing and i have yet to clear the building board to make a start on the airframe. Start new job on Mon so this will be the evening project once settled in.

Yes thats a laser 70 in there. I did intend a saito 50 but seemed a little small to me.

No pull-pull...but i fitted two servos i the top wing and a rudder gyro for take off. Theres not a lot of room for cockpit detailing though.

Edited By Stevo on 05/01/2014 11:07:26

I hope you don't mind me entering the forum - it's just that Santa also bought me a Fokker DVII in answer to another earlier letter from Harrier Mate! He was just a boy at the time (that's Santa) and so as you can see from the photos, progress has been less than swift! At this rate Santa won't be around to see it finished. Still I've found your forum really interesting so much so that my 'model-making mojo' is once again up and running! I've even been routing around the house and discovered a couple of previous Santa deliveries - anyone know if these kits are worth building? On past performance I'll have them finished by 2024!Progress.jpgSymmetrical?.jpgAny good?.jpg