Flair Fokker DVII

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Harrier,

Not a problem. I too have had to halt on my build due to the weather and me doing a lot of flying. It's hard to go into my shop when it's so nice outside.

Here's what I've completed so far. I also set up an album with some Fokker build pics.

asm1.jpg

Edited By Bob Hayes on 11/08/2014 21:02:21

Oh very nice. The DVII is a favourite of mine and I wont bore you with pics of mine although I shoehorned a Laser 70 in there.

Have you soldered nuts to the strut mounts ? It reall does save time. I use the m3 bolts that come with Savox servos, nice wide flat head with a hex socket. I use a ball driver at the field for assembly. However its been there three times, and it's been far too windy every time.

Investigate putting struts in that tailplane, it really does stiffen it all up. I've got a rudder gyro fitted to but as yet untested

How did you find the Williams Bros. guns? a right PAIN in the backside to assemble, aren't they? You will find that each wing will cover in one piece if you are careful!

Harrier - look forward to the build yes

Edited By Stevo on 12/08/2014 19:03:06

Its the lozenge scheme which looks daunting at the moment although your photos Steve make it look simpler than I was expecting. Guess I should stop worrying about 'finishing' it and get on with STARTING it! But I did receive another beautiful reference book, full of scale drawings, photos of full size under restoration etc. So I have no excuse not to make it as scale as the outline allows!

Bob , that's one of my favorite schemes for a Dvii , have you got Carl Degelow's biography Black Fokker Leader by Peter Kilduff ?? like the white wheels ,are they WB 's white or did you paint them like I had to !laugh One ( of several ) things that I do not like in this kit is the whay that the wing strut tripod is done teeth looks horrible ! only needs two pieces of wire, not three.And there is twice as much wood in the tail/fin/rudder than needed that means lead in the nose ,I modded mine and no extra lead added yes

Sevo , gyro not realy needed if you have a bit of side thrust built in ,the full size had a off-set fin to keep it going in the right direction

imga0598.jpg

note tail bracing !

imga0599.jpg

Yes I did solder the nuts on the wing struts and they are the white Williams Bros. wheels. I'm powering mine with an OS 70 surpass. I had to do a little work to get the exhaust out the bottom.

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

I used Golden rods for my elevator control and added servos in the wing for the ailerons.conrod3.jpg

ail1.jpg

ail3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, its a year to the day since I decided to start a blog of the build of another Flair Fokker DVII. Not exactly rapid progress. New job last January forced me to put model building on hold but New Year's resolution is to pick up where I left off.

Some start with tail feathers and some with the fuselage. Limited space and time over Christmas led me to start with something smaller, but no less of a challenge..... the spandau machine guns!! photos to follow..

Hi Bob,

I notice that Arizona Models do some VERY VERY nice details for WW1 aircraft including some great detailing kits, including engines!!! That said, I guess we would be only using the upper quarter (cylinder heads and rocker box covers) so a lot of money for just the tops. The instrument panels look good too! wink

I know they do have nice engines but like you said, I only need 1/4 of it and I can't bring myself to spend $99. Arizona Models is where I purchased my wing covering. A bit pricey but I think it's worth every penny. I talked to Jamie there and he was very informative.

I have also been in contact with Charles of "Justonemorekit". I have there DVII Peter Rake kit. Charles tells me they're working on a 3D printed dummy but they don't know when it'll be available. I think I'm going to vacuum form my own cylinders and make my own dummy.

Bob,

Coincidence! Ive just been looking at the lozenge tex availability on the internet. Looks like Arizona Models or Balsa USA are favourites (hmmm always in the US market!). Stevo (on this site) painted his own. I may try pre-printed first.... although they are expensive!!! I would be interested to know what amount you needed to buy to do the wings.smiley

BUSA only has 1/4 scale fabric. I called Arizona and talked to Jaime Johnston ( [email protected])

He asked me what plane, scale, and year, and supplied the correct fabric and amount. I've attached a pic showing how the material is supplied. I only received the wing portion. They do include material for the rib tape and a nice set of instructions.laz.jpg

Bob,

Brilliant. Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to call Arizona Models! Opens up a whole new world of options for a vibrant colour scheme....Now to pick one that hasn't been done before!!!

Yours will look superb with the black/white fuselage contrasting against the lozenge wings. I may need to practise my covering technique with plain colour before I commit wife's iron to the lozenge material. Wouldn't want to spoil any!!!!!

Off to do more mundane room painting this morning this morning..... with snow outside!