E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Very nice Jason. I was just doing a bit of work on my redeagle. Getting ready to run the snakes for the tail feathers before I sheet the top deck.

What power train are you using?

Heading to my LHS in the morning to hopefully obtain a spinner and folding prop set so I can shape the nose of my red eagle.

TP

Posted by Tipsy Pilot on 20/03/2018 11:42:07:

Very nice Jason. I was just doing a bit of work on my redeagle. Getting ready to run the snakes for the tail feathers before I sheet the top deck.

What power train are you using?

Heading to my LHS in the morning to hopefully obtain a spinner and folding prop set so I can shape the nose of my red eagle.

TP

Hi TP,

I'm using a propdrive v2 2830, 1000kv

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdrive-v2-2830-1000kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

Plus a 30A esc.

J

• 4 months later...

Its nearly finished!

Just a few jobs left:

- Make some graphics for the fin & nose

- Install receiver & program radio

- Install flight pack & set CG

- Fly!

Colour scheme borrowed from this thread albiet with a few small changes (think it was one of Ton's clubmates schemes).

Weight without battery: 684g

Thanks to Ton for a nice easy design.

Thanks also to Andy for his assistance!

covered 01

covered 02

covered 03

covered 04

Edited By Jason Inskip on 22/07/2018 14:34:45

Hi everyone on this build, I have watched a lot of the postings with great interest. Its a nice looking aero-plane/glider. Has anyone brought out a kit for the RedEagle yet? I rather fancy one of these but at 77 years old, I do not think I would have the patience to start another build. I have got a Cub to re-build, a 1960s Ugly Stik on the building board, by Phil Kraft plus a Phil Kraft Kwik Fli 3, all vying for my time.

Mind you, if there is a pre-cut kit of the model, I might just talk myself into it!!!!!

Regards to all Red Eagle fliers.

Anthony.

Edited By Handyman on 27/07/2018 15:09:04

• 2 years later...

It's been a quite a while since this thread was active, but during lockdown I stumbled across the Red Eagle whilst hunting for a balsa kit project.

It's been so helpful to go through the questions in here, especially since it's been such a long time since I last built anything, and I'm looking for some advice on how to remove the wood from the nose before adding the material to be sanded to fit the nose cone. All of the pictures here look astonishing neat - what have you used to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris.

I would suggest a Permagrit sanding block would remove lots of balsa very easily. Glasspaper block would do the same but creates much more dust and uses more effort. Carving with a scalpel first would help. Permagrit seems expensive but last forever and you really only need the wedge block.

A David plane is also very handy for shaping balsa.

Edited By kc on 19/01/2021 16:32:18

The technique of rounding a fuselage is just a matter of doing it evenly - one stroke off each side and same on the other, moving the plane or sander around in the shape you desire. Dont plane flats on it! However if you make a mess just plane it flat and glue on a slab and start again.

As with all new things make a test piece from scrap and experiment.

I have just received ( 10 minutes ago! ) my 'free gift' Permagrit block which came with my RCME subscription. The offer is in the latest RCME and is valid until 12th Feb. But the gift took 6 weeks to come as there was some delay. A good deal if you want RCME & are not in a hurry. Otherwise just buy the smaller cheaper wedge block. Still expensive but worth it as it cuts so agressively but smoothly. Ideal for reducing birch ply items to exact size,.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...