E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike, there is another Red Eagle thread where I discussed the fact that 5mm by 3mm spruce is difficult to obtain in England. SLEC say they cannot supply exact metric size although they can supply 3/16 by 1/8. So I hope you ordered the full kit not the short kit

There are other interesting points there that Ton answered.

This one is definitely on my build list as I do enjoy a bit of thermal soaring. Can anyone comment on what she's like in a breeze? Currently getting frustrated with the lack of penetration on my Radian which means you can sample very little sky in anything but the calmest of days making thermal finding difficult - and then if you do hit lift you cant stay with it long as you drift downwind and won't come back.

I've been looking for something that gets upwind a bit better and hoping Red Eagle will fit the bill.

Mike ,

Any news about the kit or are you started already with the build, thanks for selecting the RedEagle for your next project.

Herbert,

Not sure what wind speed a breeze would be, but its not an glider that will penetrate well because its to light weight for that. The model is also not designed for adding more weight its just for flying on calm days or those lovely summer evenings. I do fly it on winds at 3-4 bft but use the motor to get it back after doing a thermal. And the controle will also be more difficult because with more winds its better that you have ailerons for controle.

Cheers

Ton

• 3 weeks later...

Tom

What is the difference between the short and long kits. I think I bought the full kit - materials, plan, cd rom etc?

I have to say that I have just started looking at the wing and the first thing I notice is that the spruce spar is too wide 6-7mm approx. which kind of defeats the object of purchasing a pre-cut kit.

How have others overcome this - sourced spruce elsewhere or trimmed ribs to fit face 11

Fuselage is coming together well - just need to carve the nose now and get some lightweight balsa filler for the holes where the bulkheads pop through.

It would appear that I did indeed buy the full kit but the spruce for the spar is the wrong size?

Edited By Mike Stevens on 13/07/2014 10:38:05

Edited By Mike Stevens on 13/07/2014 10:38:28

Edited By Mike Stevens on 13/07/2014 10:38:47

Hi Mike,

Thanks for selecting the RedEagle as you new project.

Sorry to hear that the spar is to wide but I can't help you on this, its up to RBC to select the materials they put in there kit.

Trimming the ribs is very easy to do and needs to be done most of the time because there is always some tolerance on the material sizes.

Would love to see some pics if possible.

Cheers

Ton

Hi Ton, and other forum readers.

Saw the Red Eagle in last months mag and just fell in love with it's great looks. As my then current artf glider had decided to end it'flying career that very week I sent for the short kit and started building straight away! ( that did mean that my existing build, a scatch build Predator Drone, had to go on hold till this one is done). Anyway, kit arrived quickly and the build is easy. The spar size issue mentioned elsewhere is easily resolved wwith a blade and sanding block. I did feel that the rib/t.e joint was a little flimsy for my liking so I gusseted all these joints. Other 'mods' I made were,,, a thin ply hatch underneath for acsess to esc and motor connections and a small chin pod immediately under the nose to allow for alittle cooling air and to allow for clearance for the motor wires as I'm using a 28mm motor.

The build is straightforward and the kit quality excellent. Mine is nearly built now, hoping for maiden flight within a week or so and I'll post some pics of the completed plane soon, although with my colour scheme theres no way that I can call mine,,, RED EAGLE!!!