New encoder - Six-channel Reeds on 2.4ghz

Phil Green

I've done a new encoder for Reeds, I call this one 'Tiny-6' as its only an inch square. Its heavily based on the existing full-house Reeds encoder software, written entirely in assembler, and uses a commercial SMT PCB.

Features - the new 6 channel 'Tiny' is a true six-channel Reeds Emulation Encoder and has trims on all functions, servo reversing on all functions, servo slow on all functions with two speed options, and a single-handed range check mode. All the trim, reversing and transit speed configuration settings are saved to flash and therefore retained during power off. It runs happily of a small 2S lipo and will drive any of the Frsky, OrangeRx, etc RF modules - I used a Frsky DFT.

In flight tests I found the 'higher' transit speed was great for my Veron Impala glider which responds quite slowly, but a bit 'lively' for my overpowered Cub, the slower speed was much smoother to fly and is more typical of period reed servos which were characteristically slow. The slower of the two settings is the same transit speed as I use on my old Junior 60 and Kazmirski Tauri with the Orbit-10 set.
I've uploaded a very draft document to www.singlechannel.co.uk , its right at the bottom of the Archive page under the QR code.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 23/12/2013 20:19:09

Edited By Phil Green on 13/01/2014 01:14:36

• 3 weeks later...

Ron made a few badges, tx looks much better for it!

tiny6_2.jpg

tiny6.jpg

If anyone is interested in using a "Tiny-6" Reeds Emulation Encoder either for a new build or to convert an old 6-channel Reeds set, I worked out some costs and I can do the encoder for £12 delivered anywhere. This is at cost and includes the pre-programmed and tested board, the switch resistors, the buzzer module, a ppm schottky-diode, and the first few will have a name plate sticker supplied as above. There is no profit, its all done for enjoyment.
Rudder / elevator / throttle suits a lot of vintage and 'period' reed models such as the Junior 60, Tauri, Falcon 56 and the Veron Robot amongst many others. Having trim on all functions is a bonus - back in the day trim was only available on elevator and needed an additional 'progressive' servo which used up two of the six channels! ‘
Period’ sets suitable for conversion include the RCS Inter 6, the Ariel 6, Orbit and F&M 6, Raven 6, etc, as well as full-house sets with dummy keys for the higher channels!

I've updated the document for the 'Tiny-6 Reeds Emulation Encoder', no changes but I've added a bit to show how the buzzer assembly is made. Its just for interest as its supplied ready-made & tested.  The doc is on the Archive page of www.singlechannel.co.uk

Please email if interested.
Cheers
Phil   [email protected]     www.singlechannel.co.uk

Edited By Phil Green on 13/01/2014 01:12:20