An introduction to the PSSA 2014 'Mass Build Project'

Well the car's loaded and ready to travel to Llandudno first thing.

The forecast looks promising, maybe a little light tomorrow wind wise but you really cant tell with the Orme. The Sunday forecast looks fine with 13mph SW winds shown at Valley - that should equate to a 20mph on the slope.

It's been great this week seeing a number of JPs reaching completion, different methods, different schemes, plenty of forum activity, a lot of busy PSS modellers all with a common goal - great stuff!!

As you've said Dave, a good turnout is expected both days but Sunday especially - the prospect of getting a decent number of these new JP models together (combined with all the other PSS models on site) bodes well for a good event.

Ill see you up there, will be onsite by 10am each day - TANK TRACK CAR PARK!! thumbs up

Edited By Phil Cooke on 30/05/2014 22:41:51

Well, my covering iron failed half way through the JP's fuselage covering tonight, so I've had to finish off with the good old clothes iron. Not happy with the result that gave me, but not much I can do about that now. Decals and yellow stripes left to do, as well as a lot of painting on the Mig. I don't think the mig will make it! So close, alarm is set for very early tomorrow. Will see what miracles I can perform..

Just a quick summary (a full report with photos will be added to the PSSA site and linked here soon) of this weekends PSSA event up on the Great Orme – many thanks to all who attended especially those who participated in the JP Mass Build and got their completed models there as per the plan! The day began with very light winds swinging around in direction and nothing like the forecast 12-14mph SW at Valley – in fact at one point there was even thoughts of upping stumps and moving the whole parade over to the East slope over the peir – but we stood firm and I was a very relieved man when at 14:30 the wind came back onto the SW slope and picked up strength from 5mph to approx 35mph – perfect! We flew PSS from that point until gone 7pm.

The sun shone all weekend (Saturday especially where I think we all caught too much sun to be honest!) and attendance was great with 18 Jet Provosts seen on the Sunday, 15 of which were flown (many of those were maiden flights too!) in perfect conditions once the wind had decided to play ball in the afternoon!

editimg_9263.jpg

editimg_9275.jpg

Mass Build Prizes (kindly donated to the PSSA by Traplet) were awarded in the following categories;

Best Static Jet Provost – awarded to Bob Jennings for his superb recreation of a privately owned JP in blue with white stripes – finished in glass cloth and Poly C with some excellent detailing both in the cockpit and on the rudder with the stiffening corrugations just like the full size.

Best PSSA Newcomer – awarded to Steve McLaren from the ISA - whos build quality shone through particularly around the tail end with the exhaust shaping and some very neat covering too – model was flown successfully on more than one occasion – we hope to see you at more PSSA events Steve!

Most Innovative JP Build – awarded to Mark Kettle for his EPP version of the JP – the model flown was the second prototype, and the first from Marks production tooling, still WIP but Mark intends to mass produce these in EPP to enable the possibilities of PSS combat, PSS pylon racing – sounds like fun and the ‘true scale’ EPP PSS concept on the slope will be very popular I’m sure.

editimg_9809.jpg

(above) One of the MANY maiden flights successfully completed this weekend! thumbs up

Worthy winners all round, many congratulations to Bob, Steve and Mark, and indeed to all who successfully test flew their new models on the Orme this weekend! Thanks again for your attendance, pilot or spectator - it wouldn’t have worked without your participation and support - this was the PSSAs first ‘mass build’ venture but I felt the general consensus was that we should repeat the exercise one day in the future – Im sure we will!

Well done all,

Phil Cooke - PSSA

Phil,

I would like to add my thanks to you for an extremely enjoyable event. It was my first PSSA meeting, but I hope to attend many more.

Thanks for the mass build, too, which roused me from my lethargy and gave me a target to aim for. It was most rewarding, although I now need a few weeks to catch up on lost sleep!

Congratulations also to the prize winners, which were all extremely fine examples of the JP and deserved winners. I wouldn't like to have had to pick them out from such a fine bunch of models, though!

Steve

Edited By Steve Houghton on 02/06/2014 23:35:57

• 2 weeks later...

The PSSA website has been updated this evening with the Mass Build Event write up (compiled by Matt Jones) with photos by Rez Manzoori, Sue Lee and myself.

This can be viewed HERE.

Thanks again to everyone who took part in the PSSA's first Mass Build venture, I was over the moon with 18 Jet Provosts on site, that was a great result, and we welcome again all those who joined the PSSA and travelled to the Orme for the first time as a result of this project.

The next PSSA event is on the Lleyn Peninsula where we fly as guests of the Lleyn MAC club - more details HERE - I hope to see you there (with your JPs of course!)

Thanks Matt! I started building an Me262 from the Traplet plan on the Monday after the meet - Fus nearly done now, and should be cutting the wings at the weekend. After that, I think a large-ish Su47 Berkut along with something fast and cold-war-era jet-ish to chase those pesky Aeromacchis and T33's down with!

Not really that prolific to be honest - there are a few subject aircraft I really like, and I want to get them done myself if I see no alternative. Hopefully my cold war beastie will have a glass fuz, so will be able to knock a few out if there is interest. After those two...not sure! Maybe the next mass build will be along shortly laugh

Well Steve H 1 - I'm just in the process of making the patterns nice a sweet - when it's in its final stage I'll show the results on here. Thanks for the interest, I was surprised how well it flew, able to 'speck-out on the wave lift just like all the others.

Here's some of the patterns for the build : -

body patterns.jpg