BEB's Dawn Flyer Build

Sucessful maiden carried out this afternoon. A complete non-event, just how I like them! She flew straight off - absolutely no trim adjustment needed. Very pleasant to fly - not overpowered, in fact I have to enter a loop off a swallow power dive - but that's nicely in-keeping with the model's style.

A had three flights with it in all this afternoon - each more relaxing and pleasant than the one before. On the last flight of the day it was particularly nice to see the low sun glinting off the litho-plate!

Flight is totally vice free and she's very easy to fly.

The only negative I can possibly mention is that, as expected, she's a bit of a minx on the ground. I actually had to abort one take off run when she started squirrelling around - embarrassing! The problem is a combination of a fixed tail skid, narrow track and quite a small rudder. I don't want to paint this a big issue, I certainly wouldn't wish to take anything away from a faultless performance in the air. The ground swinging can be contolled - two of my three take offs were "text book" - but you do need to be alert when the model's on the ground and be prepared to "get on its case" quickly when it shows the slightest sign of moving out of line.

Overall I'm very pleased indeed with her indeed and I'm sure we'll have many happy flights together this summer - well done Lynds!

BEB

Posted by John Milne on 09/03/2014 18:42:21:

Looks like today may have been a record for first flights.

Regards

John

I think its something to do with the 1st really good flying day of the spring for most so all the winter projects are coming out though mine is a week or two or even 3 away

Nice to hear the maiden went well. I can just imagine that litho glinting in the sun and the grass reflecting off that shiney woodwork! Hmmmm! Can't wait! smiley

It's also quite confusing to see what looks like almost identical versions of my DF in so many other blogs! I can just picture a fleet of them lined up at Greenacres!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes John. I was lucky - the CoG was spot on without any additional lead. But I do have the litho plate on the front and a current sensor up there too. Also the battery is as far forward as I can get it!

So without them I probably would have needed a few ounces of lead in the nose. Not much though. Go easy on the glue at the back end!

BEB

• 3 years later...

hi BEB. is your dawn flyer still flying? I purchased the cnc kit from slec last week I only started building last year I have built the fuse and tail feathers so far. I am really enjoying the build it is not to complicated I had to make a new former4 and play about with the other formers to make them fit.the tail end I glued the longerons to the tub first then joined them together afterwards. I am looking forward to flying this one as I think it is a great looking plane. I would like to say thankyou for your build blog it has been very helpful! Dan

Hi Dan,

yes my Dawn Flyer is still around. It hasn't flown since last summer - its no winter hack! Funny you should ask because at the moment I am in the process of getting a number of models out that haven't flown since last year and giving them a bit of a "service" - checking stuff out. I noticed that when I looked at the DF it needs the dummy flying wires replacing - they are from hat elastic, a bit frayed now and starting to sag a little (like me really!) So a little job of work for me there.

Its been a fun model have - I enjoy flying it and it flys well, no drama. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The only thing I might advise is to strengthen the bottom plate a little where the open tail meets the main fuselage. I managed to break my fuse there on a heavy landing and I know I am not the only one! A 2mm ply doubler is all you need.

Cymaz - shhhh! Least said the better - I will finish it, honest, one day,..."I just always seem to have something else on the bench dear"....

BEB

hi beb, thankyou for the reply ahh thats good to hear your df is still flying this will be one of my calm summer evening flyers. I will certainly use a 2mm ply doubler on the fuse where it joins the tail. I managed to get some antigue solartex recently so I thought id have a go at covering the rudder and fin. wow im very impressed with how easy it is to use what a shame it will not be around anymore. Dan......