Building Tony's Beaufighter

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I have made the flaps, cut out the ailerons and skinned them as well looking and working out the servo positions within the wing and doing away with all of the bowden cables.

Having realised it would be better to complete the wing before planking the nacelles.

dsc09215 (1024x681).jpg

Before gluing on the top sheeting to the ailerons I added some extra pieces of block at the hinge locations and replicated this on the wing as well.

I'm going to use Mylar hinges for the ailerons and Robart hinge points for the flaps when they arrive in the post.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and a Happy Easter to you All,

Another update on progress so far.

I have not achieved as much as I had wanted to, however, I have made some progress with the wing with making the servo cover plates, hinging the flaps and generally making sure everything fits where it should and the throws are in right manner before sheeting the bottom skin.

dsc09601 (1024x681).jpg

Aileron servo installed and 1st sheet cut to shape

dsc09602 (1024x681).jpg

I have attached the servos to the ply plate and fitted bearers into the ribs, an idea taken from my Topflight P40, which also calling for my attention to finish her off.

dsc09603 (681x1024).jpg

Looking along the wing as you can see I have hinged the flaps. some of the cabling I like to check everything works before sheeting to highlight any problems should they arise. Max flap deployment will be 60 degrees when fully set up, I have not glued the hinges yet.

dsc09604 (1024x681).jpg

A close up of the Robart hinge point, I'll trim the end off when finally fixed.

dsc09606 (1024x681).jpg

I made these for the throttle servos which will be glued onto the front face of the nacelle former at the rear of the tank bay, I had to choose a small servo as the bottom of the servo is just above the wheel cut out, it's a little tight to get the tank in and out but it does work.

dsc09607 (1024x681).jpg

And wing skinning has started with the outer panel.

Today, I have fuel proofed both of the tank bays, tidied up all of the servo cables and threaded the cables for the landing lights (a late thought).

Hopefully, by next time I will have finished the underside.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Well I've pressing ahead a bit this week and I have finally got the wings ready to make a start on the planking of the nacelles.

I have finished the skinning, fitted the ailerons and sanded everything.

dsc09608 (1024x681).jpg

As I mentioned last time these landing lights were a last minute idea and I hope they are bright enough to be seen on the landing approach.

dsc09609 (1024x681).jpg

sheeting in place,

dsc09615 (1024x681).jpg

All sanded down and ready to start the nacelles. The blocks of 2 x 2 timber have come really useful never thought of it before.

After tidying up the bench I'll start the nacelles, 2.5mm (3/32" balsa strip, I cut my own from from 4" sheet. As you can see I seem to over ordered on the timber. The left overs can go in my stock box.

Regards

Robert

2007-08-20_042445_beaufighter_1_700_x_388.jpg[004763].jpgHi Robert, Found your thread a couple of days ago, Nice one, keep up the good work, I 'am following with interest as I like the "beau" myself, may even get around too building one myself one day. Have enclosed a couple off photo's of Brian Taylors beaufighter, thought you might like too see. and no its not available as a plan. Cheers Graham

Hi All,

Another update on progress to date.

The nacelles are now planked as far as I can until I make the landing gear legs and know what size to make the hole for the legs.

dsc09620 (1024x681).jpg

Before starting with the planking I made a couple of access hatches to get at the tank bays and throttle servos

dsc09638 (1024x681).jpg

The glues I used to do the planking plus the water spray (need this for underside) I use cyano to glue the planking onto to the ply bulkhead only on the upper half.

dsc09616 (1024x681).jpg

I started on the top centreline and have masked off where the access panel comes into contact with the wing, the access panels will be held in place by magnets.

dsc09621 (1024x681).jpg

One of the frames of the access hatches

dsc09618 (1024x681).jpg

One top done

dsc09623 (1024x725).jpg

Starting on the bottom half as you can see the front does pull in quite a bit. Throttle servos fitted.

dsc09625 (1024x681).jpg

3/4 quarters done, photo taken square on, this shows how much the planking pulls in in just an inch or so.

dsc09624 (1024x681).jpg Not only does the planking pull in but also twists due to the curvature. The use of the water spray needed from the 4 o'clock position to the 8 o'clock position

dsc09635 (1024x681).jpg

On of the planks showing that both the front and the back are tapered to take into account of the curvature. It seems like your almost making a beer barrel.

dsc09639 (1024x681).jpg

The blocks needed for the lower rear of the nacelles. When dry they need to be shaped to match the profile of the nacelle before gluing into place.

Next, I will be honing my metal work skills, (not my strongest subject - failed my CSE metalwork) and putting my wire bender into action.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Disaster sad

dsc09677 (1024x681).jpg

All building work has now ceased for a few weeks due to me suffering an accident over the weekend in which I have broken my thumb and knuckle and been placed in a cast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm finding out just how much we rely on our thumbs, buttons are a challenge to say the least. Thankfully I'm a lefty but holding things is just about impossible.

Enough about me, how far did I get before the accident, well I made a start on the undercarriage after a trip to B&Q and bought some 12mm x 12mm steel bar and some pvc tube.

Prototype No1.

I cut two lengths of steel bar at 55mm drilled three holes, the central hole central in length but slightly off centre in width all drilled at 4.5mm Then cut two lengths of 4.8mm piano wire at 60mm to start with. These will fit into the reract unit.

Yes I know the bar is 4.8mm and the hole is only 4.5mm but it does go in with a little help with a hammer, but only when the bar has been heated up to cherry red and the piano will go in with a couple of taps then swiftly into a bucket of water. I then cut some more piano wire for the legs and bent them with my wire bender.

dsc09673 (1024x681).jpg

I then placed the pin into the retract unit and had to file a little to get the bar to fit correctly then cut off the excess length to where it needed to go.

dsc09674 (681x1024).jpg

Looking good so far but a bit basic.

Each leg has been shortened and each of the axles shortened slightly longer than required to spring the legs apart a little. the outer holes in the 12mm bar were opened out to 5mm and the legs will be glued in place.

dsc09675 (681x1024).jpg

7mm pvc tube again from B & Q slips nicely over the piano wire. Two long and two short pieces and a space between will give an oleo effect.

dsc09676 (681x1024).jpg

Nearly convincing.

The pvc has been glued and painted. I have soldered a couple of washers in place and need to place some tube over the axle ends as the wheel does not sit well, and fit the wheel, which I should have done before gluing the cross bracing which again is some pvc tube left over in my scrap box.

I've got plenty of time to think about it.

If I make a prototype MKII I'll incorporate a spring into the legs.

I'll wish myself a speedy recovery or find a way to press on some how.

Regards

Robert

Great work Martyn, sorry to hear about your misfortune, time will heal all, my Whirlwind u/c has the same set up, I had to file "flats" in 2 spots to stop the frame from turning, I am sure you have taken this into account, keep up the good work

A.A.Barry

Great work Martyn, sorry to hear about your misfortune, time will heal all, my Whirlwind u/c has the same set up, I had to file "flats" in 2 spots to stop the frame from turning, I am sure you have taken this into account, keep up the good work

A.A.Barry

Hi Andy,

That's OK no problem.

Has anyone got any ideas how a 1 handed modeller can pass away the time whilst on sick leave for 5 weeks????

Cannot grip with right hand due to plaster cast, tried a bit of building earlier but hand hurts too muchsad

Only day two and I'm so BORED, not allowed to drive too wet to walk anywhere and buses run three times a day.

Regards

Robert

Robert, may I suggest you use up some time by planning and researching your NEXT project I've been reading through this thread and admiring your amazing workmanship! Looking forward to more of the same please Hopefully as the thumb starts to heal you'll be able to do a little more work on this one. I look forward to reading all about it.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I, like many of us have got many projects in mind and the "what shall I build next" has several contenders, most of which are in storage, they are as follows in no particular order:

Marataka B25

Aeortech Mosquito

Tony's 60" Wellington Plans

and if I can get the plans or kit of Easy Built PBY Catalina, I built one of these in the early 90's and loved it , although I recall planking the hull was a real challenge. I always wanted another one after it's demise and with today's motors and batteries would fly better too.

Own design Short Stirling 60"- 72" span electric. I did a very crude design way back in the late 90's and actually built it to covering stage then in a moment of total madness threw it away. I still have my original plans but no aerofoil data the program is way out of date and will not run even on this old pc. I'd even toyed with using Tony's Short Sunderland wing but in comparison there are quite a few differences.

then we go on to the single engines

Complete-a-pack Hurricane

Complete-a-pack Beaver

Flair Bristol Fighter

and the list goes on and on and on...........

Regards

Robert

Robert, You can get emulators of older dos systems which run on modern PC's. Might be worth looking at to get your old program up and running. It would be a joy to see a short stirling fly again, even a model one!

I see projects are not in short supply

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I was not aware of these emulators you mention. The program is in MS DOS dated 1994. I hate throwing things away. I have googled them and there are a few to be found

Yes, I agree it would be nice to see a short stirling flying again, and it is something I can do with one hand just about, worth trying.

Your right about the projects being plentiful alas cash flow is now a big issue as I will not get paid only SSP. One of the drawbacks of working in the building industry.

If things start to look positive I'll start a design / build blog

Regards

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Finally I have had my plaster cast removed from my hand, the bad news is that I'll not get the full movement back in my thumb. Having been told this on getting home, I grabbed my tranny and checked if I could use the stick's OK and yes all be it a little painful but the pain will go away eventually.

So, I can carry on building and flying yes

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been making up for lost time and have progressed quite well.

I have completed making the undercarriage and completed the nacelles.

The biggest thing though is that she now can stand on her own legs smiley, wing fitted to fuselage and alignment checked before aligning fixing bolts.

Here's some photos of what I've done so far.

dsc00190 (1024x683).jpg

Legs fixed to retracts. Yes I will tidy up the bench honest.

dsc00191 (1024x683).jpg

Close up of the leg. I used 7mm pvc tube cut to length and slid over the piano wire then used 4mm pvc tube for the diagonal bracing then painted with Humbrol paint. I think they look OK.

dsc00192 (1024x683).jpg

I had to cut away a bit of the necelle and wing skin for the retracts to work correctly

dsc00193 (1024x683).jpg

Gear up. Took a bit of tweeking but got there in the end.

dsc00195 (1024x683).jpg

A close up of the wheel retracted

dsc00196 (1024x683).jpg

first time together all loose fitting, trial fitting of the wings Looks Greatyes

dsc00198 (1024x683).jpg

Looking inside and a bit of fettling here and there on the wing seat had them fitting snugly

dsc00199 (1024x683).jpg

First time wings bolted up and standing on her own, legs look a bit gangly here but as per plan length wise.

dsc00200 (1024x683).jpg

And a view from floor level, yet to fit belly pan.

Yes it really is coming together now.

Next I'll fit the belly pan and work on a few things that need finishing off plus glue the tail feathers in place, then it's out with the sandpaper and fit all of the linkages plus the cowls to fit.

Regards

Robert