Kelvin Shacklock's book

Tony Patman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I got this book from Amazon... It's great.. For the total noob, it gives 3 different versions of the instructions..

1 Straight talking , no nonsense instructions
2 Why do we do this - layman version
3 Explanation of why...

Lots of pictures, and plans you can Photocopy and Iron on....

Recommended!!...

Tony..

Not started building yet, as I only got the book a couple of weeks ago, and I am still 'pre-reading', and getting all the supplies I am going to need. I am starting from scratch... So my local model shop is doing rather well out of me at the moment!! (don't tell the wife though!) I thought I might miss out the Gliders and start with the Piper, rubber powered model...

I went straight for the Micro T. I may live to regret this, but...

It's a curious aircraft and, having almost completed it now, I have to say that the "Bushwhacker" project starting now in RCM&E looks easier and cheaper to build. The Micro T, however, is at a reasonable level for a novice with a bit of existing nous (like wot I think I am). I'm sure my aircraft is far from perfect: the bottom hatch is a bit too big, I've got work to do to make the wing sit straight and balance, and I'm still not sure whether I am supposed to try to introduce some side- and down-thrust when I attach the engine.

The tail boom was a challenge to find. To cut a long story short, I got it from an ebay supplier: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ringwood-Precision-Engineering. Make sure you ask for him to select a perfectly straight tube, and to bind it to a piece of wood or something for transit: our first attempt resulted in an aluminium banana which I refused at my door, and this was undoubtedly the carrier's fault.

It would be good if we Micro T builders could use this thread to confer, as it does have its peculiarities and I could have saved myself some time if I had had someone with whom I could discuss before.

• 1 month later...
hi,

I just got the book in the past few months and just about ready to get started on the Micro T or the De Havilland D.H.71. Both look wicked!

Be great if I could get some advice here and there and maybe even some photos of some particular building points of the models. Yes I am the complete noob even with all the photos and steps I expect to go wrong.

Anyone know of sites with help for building these planes by Shacklock. I am also looking at getting a video on how to construct gliders that rock.

Anyone know of other videos/dvds which are kinda like something of a tv cooking programme.... a step by step make your own plane? IoI Think this would be great!

Cheers!

PS I am ordering a steel boom from ebay thanks!
Think that the book is brilliant for the starter

• 3 months later...
Update: the model is fully assembled, and too tail-heavy, even with 5oz of ballast at the front.  Hmm.  I could try a lighter aluminium tail boom; or a plastic one (a bit bendy and difficult to get straight)...any other ideas?  Don't really want to add another 8oz of ballast...

• 1 year later...
Well my problem was that the model was back-heavy, and the amount of ballast required in the nose to compensate would have been silly.  I didn't make any changes to the construction of the tail except to reinforce the flimsy fin with some ply.  It's still not a problem I've solved, and I haven't had time to do any modelling at all over this year.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I got KS's book for Xmas about 5 years ago and have been intending to build a Micro T ever since.
I'm pleased to say I have finally started construction. Thanks to Tony for the heads-up about the weight of the tail boom. I'll make sure I find a lightweight tube before I invest too much time building the fuze.
I followed KS instructions re making an angled workbench and find it very useful.

I have started the wing assembly and find the instructions very helpful so far.

I decided to use two wing servos instead of KS's single servo with mechanical linkages. This is a bit simpler (albeit more costly) and will allow me to have flaperons with additional control when landing. This required some simple modifications. I moved W1 in the RH wing to make the centre section symmetrical and made holes in the ribs for servo leads.

I also replaced the bellcrank supports with platforms to hold mini servo boxes.

That's as far as I have got. I hope to have it in the air before another 5 years goes by!
Grateful for comments, suggestions, things to watch out for etc.

• 1 month later...
Done a bit more! Tail feathers are straightforward:

But the leading adge is quite fiddley to attach to the ribs and I have a few gaps left. I'll strengthen the joints with gussets before I finish the sheeting. If I was doing this over I would buy shaped balsa leading edges from the model shop and flatten the LEs of the ribs and slot them into shallow notched in the LE strip.

Sheeting is also straightforward apart from fitting around the servo housings which I have yet to tackle.

Hope to do a bit more over the Xmas break.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,
I just found this forum and i wonder if anyone can help me, I too think the book is brilliant and am very keen to get building from it.  As I already have a couple of models I'm thinking of going for the Ryan NYP, probably followed by the DH71.  I wonder if anyone has tried getting the plans separately from the book?  I see in the back you can order them from the net, but that site doesn't seem to exist any more...
I could photocopy from the book but am thinking it would be easier with plans...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

After a 55year absence from making model planes,I have decided to have another go at it

in my retirement. I have bought Kelvin Shacklocks very interesting book and have started

making the Micro T as my first project.I want to use an electric motor,as they are quieter.

it will be flying in a paddock with neighboughs near by.

As I am new to all this new technology,i am battling to decide what engine to use.

If someone has already gone through this exercise I would be very gratefull for

some assistance with this ,please.

Cheers, John, New Zealand.

G'day john any 25 size rated electric, maybe the new OS electric beauties will fly the Micro T, well, it is after all a learners model but stands out from the crowd there is also electric setup advice on this website that can give a good guide; How good is Kelvins' book? I love it and i use it as a reference, even when building other models, eventually i will build that Tiger Moth racer. I'm glad you have got this book as i thought i was the only one thinking it was excellent.

cheers from bbc across the ditch.