Kelvin Shacklock's book

Tony Patman

G'day John as David pointed out, OS engines now make electric motors, I mentioned their brand as i hope the wife notices, but with so many modellers heading toward electric, they made a big step, and are thankfully using ic ratings .25, .40 and so on, (they are not the only ones though) the next step is the esc and battery companions for each, and im sure recommendations will be with the instructions .I can't wait for Mr Ashby and the RCM&E army to rate and showcase a few of these new little beasties. from bbc good luck.

I bought the Shacklock book last year after seeing a friend's copy. I was immediately attracted to the MicroT as I thought it would make an excellent camera platform and it is now completed and waiting for some halfway decent weather to fly. I thought the original plans looked unnecessarily beefy so I have built as lightly as possible. For example I used thinner ply for the body sides and made a lighter tail boom. Having said that, I did make the wings in two parts which are joined using carbon tubes in paper tubes - they go into the car easier than a one-piece wing. The plan gives a flying weight of 5 lbs and I aimed at 3. In the event the completed thing, ready to fly, came out at exactly 4 lbs. It uses an OS OCA150 motor with a 4s 2200mAH LiPo.

The tail boom is made from four laminations of soft 1/32 in balsa formed around a 1 1/8 in broom handle, using PVA glue. I had previously used this method for making motor tubes for competition rubber-powered models.

This is my first contribution to this forum but hope it will not be the last.

• 5 months later...
Posted by Tony Patman on 28/10/2007 19:29:00:
Update: the model is fully assembled, and too tail-heavy, even with 5oz of ballast at the front. Hmm. I could try a lighter aluminium tail boom; or a plastic one (a bit bendy and difficult to get straight)...any other ideas? Don't really want to add another 8oz of ballast...

What about an old broken Carbon Fibre sea rod, an old trick I know and maybe Hens Teeth at times.

PS I do live by the coast.

Regards’ David

• 8 years later...

A little anecdote.

When my first grandson was born 2 1/2 years ago, my daughter asked for a book from each member of the family for him to create a small library.
As I had two copies of this book, one was swiftly dispatched as his library book.

Who knows, if you sow the seeds when they are young he may be a flyer of the future.

If he comes to visit at the weekend and the car is not on the drive he pipes up with "Grandad has gone flying, all day!"?

• Like 1

Colin,  which DH71 is the one from that book?   Is it the Paul Blakeborough one from Radio Modeller RM 385 at 48 inch span or the Chris Golds 54 inch span MW 3199 from RC Model World or the 50 inch MW 264 one by B Price from RC Model World Jan 1988?    All seem availble from Sarik although their search system does not find them all!

I assume you are all refering to the book entitled 'Learn to make models that fly'. as a returnee I find this book very interesting. How to you manage to get the drawings copied 'Up' , that my main problem?.Is there some where you can get the plans from the book?( first published2001, reprinted 2007,2010. my copy 2004). As almost a beginer ie learning about updated materials, methods etc etc  its been very difficult to find any books that are up to date.( Info gladly excepted).

Bas

Edited by Basil
additions to comments

Basil,  some plans are available from Sarik Hobbies.   I have just found Kelvin Shacklocks own plan there but no details!

People scan the plans and and then print them enlarged to size.   I think that particular book may have some plans with squares printed so you enlarge them by hand square by square.   Much easier to go to Outerzone and find a plan you like and then either print on an A4 printer 'tiled' or take on a memory stick to a local copy shop for printing.

Edited by kc

KC, I have tried to use the copy proccess as outlined in the book, taken the book to the 'Printers',  works out to be expensive by the time its copied, taped, enlarged etc. You loose a lot of accuracy more importantly. Are you saying that Sarik or Outerzone have copies/files of these very plans?

Bas

Well we now know that Kelvin's DH 71 plan is available from Sarik and there could be others but I don't have the book now.   Mention a plan name and designer and one of us may know where to find the plan.   Or state what type of plane you need and we may know of a sutable alternative.

Outerzone has thousands of good plans you can have printed, so there would be an equivalent design there if not the actual one.  The original articles are also on Outerzone.

Edited by kc

Scanning plans.   Somewhere here on the forum is an article to advise.   Basically one scans the tiny magazine or book plan to the highest resolution to make a pdf which can then be printed to 6 or 8 times or whatever is required.   In the case of Outerzone etc the plans were scanned from a full size plan so you need to instruct the printer to print 100percent.   Note this works from Adobe Acrobat but not always from other software so use the latest version of Acrobat.

The other problem is that some plans are on 2 or more pages, even if they are on 1 page you cant flatten the page without breaking the glue on the spline, leads to pages coming loose etc.  It ruins the book. That why I asked about alternative sources for Kevins plans.

Bas