Gemini AutoGyro - The BIG Build...

Steve Jones 2

So, 2 Panthers down, 2 RPGs with 1 flown so far and now the Project which really excites me - A Gemini ....

Scale has always been my thing and over the last 12 months of discovery on the 'Dark side' , THIS is the model which has really caught my eye.

Hope Rich does not mind but here are the pics of his first ...to spur me on cheekycheeky

gemini 1.jpg

gemini 2.jpg

Again this thread is to post progress and is not intended to be a 'how too'... The previous threads on this model do that much better than I can......

Oh yes another target... to build and fly at Winterton Auto flyin, first week of july ... No pressure then !

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 17/01/2014 20:59:21

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent news Steve, I really love mine on a calm summers night it's a real floater. A real candidate for Tissue and Dope!

Big Tip, ask Rich E to post some pictures of how he did his tail feathers, wish I had done mine the same, it's a brill mod!

Edited By Big T on 31/01/2014 11:01:15

Steve

I built mine pretty much to plan, but after a chat with Rich just after he built his, I made my rudder full depth and put the horn under the level of the tail plane.

The tail plane halves are a tight push fit into the holder and secured with cocktail stick pushed through tight holes drilled from the top....you can just see them in this pic

img_1085.jpg

img_1041.jpg

This makes removing them for transport really easy...a good job as they are a tad fragile

Hope this helps wink

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Sure thing Tim,

I was thinking the same as the legs are so long for the looks the lever ratio does not work in the models favour - and my landings. A little more structure here will I am sure be bettter with too much weight penalty.

Rich E let me fly his a couple of weeks agoyes - was fantastic and looking forward to minecheeky

Steve

I think that the 'Autogyro' bug has bitten me but I need the help of the experienced folk on this forum. I can obtain some plans for a 40 inch rotor machine but I want to enlarge it to about 60 inch. What pit-falls await me and how do I get round them? Is it a feasible project? Happy Landings, Roy

Roy,

I have had no problems enlarging models, infact, just like fixed wing they seem to fly better the larger we go. I would go for it!!

The first video is one of my first successful flights with an autogyro in 2008, the model is a DAG designed by Dave Surace from the USA.

I then enlarged the plan by 150%, added a few mods to take the extra loads , rounded off the fuselage and made a fully sprung U/C. It ended up with a 75" span being pulled along with an asp 91 four stroke, it is still flying well today though is starting to show its age a bit.

Here was one of its first flights.

Keep is up t date with your project.
Rich

A little more progress, repair to the uncanny distracted me. Some time spent on the head

sam_1992.jpg

The same method from my Panther, slightly modified from the plan in as much as I make the hinge pin from a wire. This allows the top of the head to be separated - handy in the event of a crash and the need to replace only one hinge assembly. Also shown are the M3 captive nuts for the gearbox. Mounting the gearbox is simply with 4 M3 bolts rather than screws into the wood alone. Makes removal so easy.....

sam_1994.jpg

Once filled in with basla looks OK wink

sam_1997.jpg

On to the tail assembly with the balsa mount assembly. Mounting of the depron fins is then so simple - they slot in and can be changed if required - just like the balsa chuck glider idea - so simple but brilliant !!yesyes

sam_1998.jpg

Fins in place, they will not be glued but pinned incase they need changing

sam_1999.jpg

sam_2000.jpg

While that is drying, back to the fuselage and u/c mounting.....winkwink

Steve

Posted by Roy Hill 3 on 02/03/2014 09:44:12:

Thanks for that, Rich. Brilliant! That has given me the inspiration needed. I'm now toying with the idea of enlarging your 'Panther' design by 150%. That should be a 'Whopper'. I will use your plan and build log. Happy Landings, Roy

Roy, have a look at page 36 of the Panther thread. Dave built a big PANTHER

**LINK**

Hello Richard H and all other gyronuts, having had the plans for the Gemini enlarged to 150%, I am presented with a couple of questions and I would value your expert guidance! While I understand that the length and width of components are 150% larger, does the thickness of the component also increase by the same amount or is it a case of just beef it up a bit? When it comes to constructing the rotor blades and rotor head, do they also increase by 150% in all dimensions?I have a Tornado Thumper rated at 2880 Watt and a Hacker X80 ESC, (both from a previous successful project). I'm not too familiar with this new-fangled electrickery business, so will that combination be under, over, or about man enough for the job? Once the work bench is clear I will calculate the timber requirements and 'get cracking'. Happy Landings, Roy

• 1 month later...