"Barnfire" project

jeff2wings

Properly making a rod for my own back here with build No 3 but this has been a project in the offing for some time , and as such will properly rumble along in the background when I find the time to do it.

The idea for this comes from a model I have long had a eye for , the Wifurskin from 1966 and looking at it I think it may have had some influence on some of Bodo's models in terms of construction and ,dare I say it, looks ?? What do you think ?

Anyway , it means I will not have to bend more struts for this one wink

barn proj 002.jpg

barn proj 004.jpg

Thanks’ for that Glen I had looked for that (and other plans) some time ago and drew a blank so assumed that they had been “lost” looks as if the x-list is finally being sorted out from its shambolic state of recent years .

However, I’m not looking to make Wifruskin as such but something in the style of with the lest number of changes as I can from the original plan

1.The main change to mount the wing in the shoulder position

2.Change the shape of rear decking

3.Change the shape of fin/rudder

4.Add ailerons ( and flaps ?? )

I’m not to sure as to how effective the flaps would be on a model like this but I suppose there’s one way to find out...........

imga0761.jpg

imga0762.jpg

imga0794.jpg

imga0796.jpg

imga0798.jpg

imga0801.jpg

any ? fire away smiley

I did most of the above before Christmas ,so what now follows is “real time” so to speak wink!

imga0003.jpg

imga0020.jpg

I’ve used a couple of liteply formers and a block in front of the tailplane with a 1/2x1 spine that is slightly curved for a bit of visual interest

imga0019.jpg

imga0018.jpg

the front and rear blocks will be notched for the stingers

imga0021.jpg

imga0023.jpg

imga0002.jpg

So it's a Barnstormer 72 with an almost mid wing?

I cannot help thinking the Wifurskin would have sold better with a nicer name instead of something that seems to be a smelly disease or a nagging wife.

Could have been called Friski....Wiski.....

Edited By kc on 30/01/2014 15:08:41

My woodwork has benefited greatly since I brought this..........

imga0902.jpg

........only drawback is that there's a lot more dust in the workshop ! laugh

imga0800.jpg

wing panel going together

imga0898.jpg

don't forget the holes for the pushrods/fly leads or....................imga0900.jpg

.............you will need something like this to do it blush

imga0897.jpg

The reshaped wing tip, I removed the outer rib bay so wingspan will be about 68" ish

Your dead right about the name kc, I think it sounds like a German sausage of some kind crook

• 2 weeks later...

I've just stumbled across this thread.

Nice build Jeff thumbs up looks like it will turn out an attractive '30s style model. Look forward to seeing it's progress to completion.
BTW I would probably have looked in on the thread sooner but the name didn't sound interesting. Nearly as bad as Worse than Wifurskin wink 2 in fact it sounds like either a minor agricultural blaze or a Mills & Boon title for a tale of bucolic passion . teeth 2
How about Crossfire or Firestormer ?

Here's my Wifurskin in it's second decor. It was built around 1974/5, with a number of mods, nylon covered, originaly in similar colours to the Westland Wizard & powered by either a Fox 25 or OS 25 (can't remember which). The photo is after a refurb not long before I sold it, the engine by then had been changed to an OS40fs.

Edited By PatMc on 14/02/2014 20:14:48