"Barnfire" project

jeff2wings

Well I was just trying to keep to the spirit of the original model by having a naff name !cheeky Have to agree with Colin it looks great in those colours,may have to do something similar myself.So how did it fly ?? think these old designs still have some mileage in them with a bit of updating .

So a bit more on the wing construction ,I will join the wing halves together before sheeting the lower surfaces and mock up some shorter wing struts before I finish the wing seat, just in case I change my mind at the last minute as I tend to do indecision!

imga0939.jpg

I have set the hinge line back from the rear spar

imga0944.jpg

and made the ailerons five bays wide

imga0941.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Colin & Jeff.

Jeff, I sold the Wifurskin about 30 years ago but as I remember it flew very well. Power was adequate for most aeros, not sparkling but in keeping with what it was pretending to be, unlike a lot of todays semi-scale prop models with jet like performances. One thing I do recall was that I often wished afterwards that I'd built it with reduced dihedral. Although ailerons are shown on your scan of the plan I think the original actualy only had them drawn on the wings & the original was flown with E/R/M only. The roll rate of mine was quite stodgy & about the same with either aileron or rudder only application, a lot better with both but never axial. (Of course that may have been due to limited ability wink 2)

Edited By PatMc on 17/02/2014 19:25:53

Looks great Jeff.

I've never built an aileroned (!) wing before and only know the general principles of control surface hinging. How will your hinging work?

It looks as though the leading edge of the aileron and the inner trailing edge of the wing both have flat faces. Are you planning to chamfer one or both of them?

Thanks Josip ,it only looks good because of my poor photographic skills !

PatMc ,I think there is a overwhelming trend to over power models ( that don't need it ) these days rather than use the wing to fly, and use the engine to drag them out of trouble due to poor decision making devilsmiley still think the Wiffelskin,Waffel......what ever dont know would make a good w/end sport flyer.

So Nigel,will try to show the aileron mods better blush!

imga0945.jpg

you can see that I've cut the hinge line 1/2 back from the rear spar and added the 1/4 facing

imga0946.jpg

this shows how it's angled back

imga0949.jpg

view from the underside of the cap strips added on the top side

imga0951.jpg

This is what you have after cutting the aileron away from the wing and the finished job

imga0952.jpg

end ribs from scrap , the ribs are cut back at an angle allowing for the 1/4 sheet and the aileron facing

imga0954.jpg

underside showing top capping (lower to be added) I will be using solartex top hinging ,this method of making ailerons will be very familiar to those who have built a model from the Flair scout range ........

imga0955.jpg

imga0956.jpg

Many thanks Jeff.

So if I understand your photos and explanation correctly, the leading edge of the aileron slopes downward and away from the lower trailing edge of the wing?

That means there's some play for the aileron to move downwards - and much(?) less than for it to move upwards (lots of play!). The hinging is at the top, purely through the covering - albeit two bits, top and folded underneath?

The difference in down and up movement is controlled through settings/adjustment on the transmitter?

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

• 4 months later...

So, after almost 5 months blushI have finaly found the time to do a bit more with this over the last few days .

imga0640.jpg

imga0641.jpg

imga0649.jpg

imga0657.jpg

imga0654.jpg

The more observant amongst you will have noticed that I have gone back the strut mounting for the wing, I felt that I would be moving away to far from the original design (and character) of the barnstormer with the shoulder wing position

I really like the way the end rib and cap neatly wrap into the segmented end construction. Far too many models seem to lack this idea.

Your woodwork will truly get better after a sander like that. For rib capping it makes the job so much easier and much more precise. Also your joints are bang on too.

What is the powerplant?

Don't know why I didnt see this before, it is a really nice model, built well. Subscribed.

Edited By Stevo on 18/07/2014 17:05:06

Thanks all ,a little encouragement can go a long way when your short of motivation ,but I need to finish this and my Fokker D VII rebuild before I start on the Albi C.1 that I’m itching to get going on. Anyway ,it’s going in the right direction now with a bit of cut n’ shut.

imga0659.jpg

starting with the fin/rudder

imga0660.jpg

cockpit done and modified the rear decking with a lower profile

imga0662.jpg

dummy rad scoop to cover u/c mount bolts

imga0658.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...