"Barnfire" project

jeff2wings

Thanks for the comments, but it’s more down to my poor photographic skills than workshop skills, that and previous practice repairing cars and bikes with a large tub of plastic padding !!!laugh

I did say that I was ready to start covering, but the more I looked at this

imga0666.jpg

the less I liked the shape of the wing tips, so it was out with my favourite tool in the workshop, the hacksaw ......

imga0684.jpg

imga0685.jpg

imga0686.jpg

now I'm ready to cover it ! wink

Edited By jeff2wings on 25/08/2014 14:21:40

It’s surprising how the shape of the wing tips can change the overall appearance of a model , particularly on a constant cord wing .

So, with hacksaw to hand....................................the mods continue crook !

imga0687.jpg

imga0688.jpg

O.K. now I'm realy going to start covering now , honest blush

Edited By jeff2wings on 25/08/2014 17:23:48

• 1 month later...

Someone has been stealing my time! frown very few hours in the workshop this month but have made a start on applying the finish ,the wings are covered and I have made a start on the fuselarge,namely the final filling and glassing of the nose section and cowl ,something that I have to admit to putting off somewhat.

imga0741.jpg

more sanding down , ho-hum.

imga0743.jpg

I also have tried out for the first time Flairs aluclad , not the easiest of things to use . frown

imga0744.jpg

imga0745.jpg

Its when you see old designs like this do you really appreciate the lines and curves of the design, I love working with strip wood and thick soft balsa because it is such a cheap way to build yet the finish can be so artistic an beautiful in looks.

Looking through these photos has really got my inspiried in designing something like this... iv been looking for weeks for a model to build ( from my own design not kit or plan).

Very nice building and work Jeff, My very first bi plane was a david bodington bi stormer and I do remember having to recover the model before I could fly it. paid 25 quid for it from an older member of our club back when I was 16. I was in awe at the structure and ever since iv been a big fan of models built like this.

Keep up the lovely work.

Thanks for the comments guy’s ,I’m my own worst critic ,I always try to do something new when I’m building ,in this case the ali tape where normally I would use lithographic plate for this but it’s not so easy to get these days .

Was going to cover the fuselage but have a problem with the solarfilm polyester, so will have to order some more. In the meantime I will post some random pics

108_4347.jpg

snake support

108_4348.jpg

and servo support !

108_4354.jpg

the one bit I did cover sad

108_4355.jpg

108_4358.jpg

Thanks Colin , I have been watching the Vickers jockey thread with some interest ,there are some very interesting between wars prototypes that are in need of modelling although you are doing a good job with the ww2 ones ! yes

Solarfilm not here till mid-week ,so just tinkering with bits

000_0370.jpg

000_0369.jpg

108_4370.jpg

108_4371.jpg

Different fin/rudder again ! LOL laugh