Kev`s Dawn Flyer Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Kevin mine took 65g (2.3oz) at the very front to get the CG on the rear edge of the main spar and flew a tiny bit tail heavy. Easily manageable and not enough to be a problem but I have adjusted the RX battery to put the CG to the front edge of the main spar now. Will have to test this yet but I expect it to be spot on now.

• 3 weeks later...

In less than ideal conditions today I decided to go for the maiden.

smiley

No drama no fuss. Within 2 circuits I had her trimmed for hands off flying.

Where did I go on the CofG? I decided that Mr Todd knows his stuff and left it as recommended. So I did indeed need that 6oz of church roof up front.

The only thing I do need to do, is as Vecchio and BEB have said is to rake the undercarriage forward a bit.

I was however a little surprised at the amount of juice left in the battery after a 5 minute flight. Using an 11x6 as recommended there was only 14% in the 2200Mah LiPo. Even to a layman like myself that seems a bit low.

Other than that.

One very happy bunny.

Kev.

I was however a little surprised at the amount of juice left in the battery after a 5 minute flight. Using an 11x6 as recommended there was only 14% in the 2200Mah LiPo. Even to a layman like myself that seems a bit low.

Other than that.

One very happy bunny.

Kev.

1451 mah gone back into the pack.

Hmmm something not quite right here.

Kev

• 1 month later...

Flew the Dawn Flyer yesterday evening at Tibenham, a tarmac runway.

Had no issues with the nose going over, so the undercarriage is now good.

I have changed the Master Airscrew for an APC E prop. After a 6 minute flight there was still 57% left in the battery.

Should see me good for an 8 minute flight.

Can hardly wait for Greenacres now.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Before Greenacres I had had seven successful flights with the DF. On the Friday evening I took the opportunity to have a sneaky flight.

The result was a less than pretty sight. Any way with a little epoxy from that nice David Ashby the DF was ready for the Saturday Mass Build flight.

Had a blast and really had to concentrate with six other Df in the same airspace.

On the Sunday however a completely different story.

oooops (1).jpg

oooops (2).jpg

oooops (3).jpg

oooops (5).jpg

Unsure as to if the damage to the servo`s was caused by the crash or by the incident on the Friday evening.

I have ordered new servo`s and the rebuild will commence tomorrow, as it needs to be ready for the weekend after this..

I will post the rebuild on this thread.

kev

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/06/2014 21:40:14:

Broke mine in same place fellas I used 1/32 ply so I could restain, I also added one on the paddle where spar joins.

John

yes

I think that's the way forward. I think I'll sandwich the lower tail longeron between 2 triangles of ply where it joins the bath tub!

Thinking along the same lines as the rest of you I attacked the job yesterday.

First thing to do was to remove the stain and Poly C varnish from all affected areas.

oooops (6).jpg

This came off quite easily and provided a good rough surface for the glue to adhere to.

Then from some 1/32 ply I cut out a couple of doublers.

oooops (8).jpg

Glued the two fuselage halves together using epoxy and left it to dry.

oooops (11).jpg

Then using lots of clamps I added the fuselage doublers. and left this to cure overnight.

oooops (14).jpg

oooops (15).jpg

oooops (16).jpg

You can just about also see the small biscuit I let into the break on the bottom longeron.

Finally added this morning the small ply plate to strengthen that area.

oooops (25).jpg

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 26/06/2014 09:42:46

• 2 weeks later...

So after the rebuild I took the DF to another fly in last weekend.

Lined the DF into wind and applied throttle. She took off very nicely, and so once again I turned into the circuit.

Same result as at Greenacres. A sudden roll to the left and plane and terra firma collided.crying

2nd oops (1).jpg

I am now beginning to suspect a radio problem, as both times the same result. Range check was OK, so maybe installation issue`s. Strange really as previously the same configuration has had seven successful flights.

The next course of action is to rebuild of course. It would probably be quicker to build from scratch, but I like a challenge.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a break, as the will to repair was a bit low I started again today.

raear end (1).jpg

raear end (2).jpg

raear end (3).jpg

The RX combo in this has been consigned to the test bench. I have since acquired a Taranis and will be using that in this and all my other models once funds permit.

The laser was a £1 shop special. I had 4 originally but over the course of the years this is the last one left. If you can get one they make the building of straight models a lot easier.

Kev

What rotten luck Kevin, but I do admire your perseverance. Looks like she'll be back in the air in no time.

I've not flown a DF, and from what I've seen of others they look very safe and benign.

However, I just wondered - is it possible that each time it's gone in, it's been flying a little too slowly and because you're in a turn, the inner wing has stalled?
Just thought it better mentioned than not, 'cos if it did happen to be so, not even a Taranis can help with that thumbs up

Best of luck anyway, she looks worth it.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/07/2014 11:23:38:

What rotten luck Kevin, but I do admire your perseverance. Looks like she'll be back in the air in no time.

I've not flown a DF, and from what I've seen of others they look very safe and benign.

However, I just wondered - is it possible that each time it's gone in, it's been flying a little too slowly and because you're in a turn, the inner wing has stalled?
Just thought it better mentioned than not, 'cos if it did happen to be so, not even a Taranis can help with that thumbs up

Best of luck anyway, she looks worth it.

I would agree with you about that on the first crash. I was a bit hasty to get into the circuit. With 9 or 10 other assorted "mass build" flyers, space was at a premium.

The second crash not so sure. I was in no rush to get into the circuit and had good height and speed. Amongst those present at this incident was Ian Redshaw, who also thought the clime out was good.

I still have my doubts about the radio/servo`s, and will be soak testing the whole system.

Kev

Looks good. Is it worth considering extra diagonal bracing between the rear fuselage and front tub? e.g from the bottom of the first "V" forward to the underside of the last former? (F5 iirc)

Mine has failed again following it's repair at Greenacres after the ground collision. This time I suspect it started in the air going up into a loop and snapped fully on the ground! Minor stuff again but worth eliminating the weak points this time.

I have added the ply doubler again on the rear section of the tub area.

Adding a brace as you suggest may impact on the path of the elevator push rod, but I will look.

To be honest I just want to get it finished again and fly the darn thing it is such a good model.

Shame about your`s again. An easy fix I hope.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

wow you have been through the mincer with this one haven't you? Let's hope its third time lucky!! thumbs up

Regarding the stall theory, well those who know me will be aware that I am of the opinion that a good proportion of so called "unexplained radio problems" are in fact good old fashioned stalls! But in this case I'm not so sure. My experience is that the DF has a very benign stall - little more than a "nod" really. There is no sign of a serious wing drop.

Anyway best of luck with the re-maiden! Fingers and toes crossed!

BEB