Kev`s Dawn Flyer Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Looking good as new mate!

I have noticed mine is close to stalling speed on take off and level flight is needed to build airspeed first and as a result doesn't like crosswinds at all! Assuming all else is correct keep the speed up and you should be alright.

And if it goes in again...there's the mk2 to have a go at and you'll already have the tail feathers made! laugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted by john stones 1 on 06/01/2015 15:38:49:

It's fine V.A my breakage was my own fault it flew great and I got too silly pulled a tight turn too low n slowwink

My only excuse is I was new to electric flight and when you pull throttle back you don't have a tick over with prop still helping a bitembarrassed

John

I have to agree with John here.

It was down to me flying too slowly and turning. Also my first electric and getting used to the quirkiness of the throttle and lack of tick over has caught me out. I will however say that all of the landings have been greasers.

Kev

I have put mine in a few times now, it definetly doesn't like slow tight turns. Broken it in all the same places as everyone else. For the last big rebuild I used liteply for the fus sides instead of the 6mm balsa which has fixed the weak spot at the back. I also lengthened the nose slightly which helped get the cofg in the right place without using any lead.

Still one of my favourites to fly tho, just keep the speed up in those tight turns

Andrew

Posted by Chris Barlow on 04/01/2015 20:55:00:

Can't blame a weak spot in the design for that one! surprise

Nice to see the ply triangles on the sides of the fuselage work though. Are you planning on any alterations on the new fuselage?

Apart from the triangle doubler on the rear of the fuselage, which survived intact, the only other small modification I may do is to extend the nose by about 1". My chosen motor, battery combo is a really tight fit, and along with the 1/2lb of church roof I needed for it to balance made it very tight.

Kev

My first breakage was after a ground collision with a Stearman and the second I suspect the Greenacres repair failed coming out of a loop.

Other than getting the speed up on takeoff (has an OS .15FP up front) mine flies very nicely. Rolls and loops are nice and lazy, floats in gently on landings even with light crosswinds. Low passes are especially nice.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...