Rez's Jet Provost

> have a think about how I've managed to get the wing dowel and hole locations so far out! crying

Um...

Sorry, I think that's a mistake either on the plan or the parts - it's not an issue, though, because the hole is about half a diameter too high and can be sanded oblong; that's what I've done with mine, everything still fits. I'll check the plan and parts over the weekend and report back next week.

Please accept my deep and sincere apologies if it turns out to be my fault...

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

No apology necessary mate, it's easily fixed!

So, where were we? Well the next stage in my haphazard journey to Jet provost heaven was to apply the decking aft of the cockpit. Like Phil I elected to plank it and sand back.

photo 03-03-2014 21 01 51.jpg

photo 05-03-2014 22 24 15.jpg

As I don't own a building board I elected to press the dihedral jig's into service to help align the fuselage as I set about gluing the back end former F7 into the fuselage.

img_4780.jpg

img_4781.jpg

Whilst there I couldn't resist a dry fit of the fin to get a feel for how it's going to turn out!

img_4782.jpg

This then was a good opportunity to glue on the aft fuselage top decking using the fin itself to set a good snug fit.

img_4783.jpg

More to follow...

Edited By Fly_Boy_Rez on 16/03/2014 20:44:23

Now to the tailplane. following someone else's lead I've gone down the route of adding a spar to the tailplane.I decided against simply trimming the tailpne short and adding the spar there as I knew getting the hinge slots in would be a nightmare. I also didn't want to make the spar full span so I cut a slot in the tailplane to take a spar.

photo 05-03-2014 22 24 37.jpg

Into this I sunk a very carefully sized and shaped spar. However despite this careful shaping, or due to my haste to get it in I didn't push the spar in fully resulting in a spare that is sub flush one side and over flush the other... Hmmm! crook There's a lesson to be learned here!

The elevators were carefuly aligned, marked up and hinged onto the tailplane with appropriate slots set into them for the torque rod. Unfortunately a test fit at this stage (having relieved the excess triangular stock in the tail region) revealed that my initial effort at a soldered up torque rod solution was simply way too long and was almost exiting the bottom of the fuselage! D'oh! frown

Time for soldered torque rod Mk2... to be honest I was struggling with how to connect it to the pushrod so this was all actually a good thing!

A the existing solder was re-heated until it oxidised and I was able to cut through the wire binding with a dremel wheel. The Mk2 variant is shorter plus has enough of an extension on one arm to epoxy on an M2 fitting.

img_4806.jpg

img_4807.jpg

img_4808.jpg

To permit a wide range of movement I've let in slots in the tailplane.

So, time for a little bit of scale detail... following Phil's lead (He and Matt are my gurus!) I to have elected to add the elevator balance feature. I've most likely done this wrong (inexperience) as I've simply cutout a bit of the tailplane and glued it onto the elevator. Recognising after the fact that the wood grain is entirely wrong for this thin extension I've elected to bolster it with a mini spar courtesy of one McDonalds stirrer.

img_4823.jpg

img_4824.jpg

As you can see it's a little fragile! blush

More to follow...

So, back to the fuselage... the sanding of the nose continues, though it's still not finished yet.

img_4826.jpg

To keep spirits up I like to occasionally fit pieces together... plus its a good check to make sure I've not dropped any clangers!

img_4832.jpg

Wow, will you look at that... it looks like an aeroplane finally!

My attention then turned to getting on with the air intakes. As per Andy's thread I built up the laminates, roughed out the shape with saw and block plane and then set to final shaping it... I don't mind doing one but getting two the same shape but mirrored? The devil's own job I tell you!

img_4840.jpg

One intake is near completion whilst the other is in lamination waiting for the glue to dry.

Next I decided to apply my wing bandage. As chance would have it I found an old wing bandage tape I bought years ago and never used... well this was just the ticket so white PVA and some careful trimming and we're away!

img_4853.jpg

Trust me, the PVA isn't nearly as noticeable when dried and all the ragged edges were tidied up with the trust Dremel drum sander bit!

More to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the next update...

Having applied the wing bandage I set about building up the underside to blend in with the nose section. Sadly I seem to have neglected to capture all these steps so can only show you the finished product.

img_4855.jpg

The wing fairing has been largely shaped to size, here I have shaped and glued on some intake fairings.

img_4856.jpg

The trailing edge of the wing fairing didn't quite blend in right so I made up a thin trianglar section which I glued to the fuselage skin. This permitted me to better feather the wing fairing into the main fuselage. Looks OK in bare wood... time will tell if when covered it all looks pants!

img_4860.jpgimg_4864.jpg

Next up was a turn at barrel making! I found that a D cell battery is just the right diameter for tailpipe so I cut two balsa discs. These were glued into slave spine feature and then the planking began.

img_4868.jpg

img_4873.jpg

More to follow!

• 1 month later...

Right, well it's time for a long overdue update to my build. Having completed the tailpipe 'barrel' I set about sanding it to shape and fitting it to the fuselage.

img_4874.jpg

Satisfied with the axial position to avoid interference with the elevator linkage I glued it in and then trimmed it back roughly

img_4885.jpg

Followed by a final trim back to be flush with the fuselage sides

img_4886.jpg

My next job was to follow the lead set by Andy and Phil and start bulding up some wing Trailing edge fairings. This is one such fairing part complete.

img_4918.jpg

I also started on the tailplane blend pieces. Unlike others (rightly or wrongly) I elected to make my pieces quite long to feather the fairing in more gently.

img_4936.jpg

The fuselage is now pretty much done...

img_4964.jpg

img_4963.jpg

To cover I've decided to follow the lead set by John Hey and cover my fuselage in Tissue and Dope, then spray to the final colour scheme. Having experienced a bit of a nightmare holding my BAe Hawk wilst spraying I decided I needed a more robust solution, one that will act as a stankd for the model while the paint dries. To this end I came up with this.

img_5182.jpg

It locates in the winge LE dowel hole and the wing TE bolt location, the four bolts set to a length to aid in securing the handle to the aircraft and also to give me a set of feet to place the aircraft down onto.

img_5181.jpg

That's all for now folks... more as and when it gets done!

Rez

Well... this Tissue and Dope stuff is certainly an 'Experience'!

Not sure why but the tissue is rippling after having been applied... not a biggie, just a bit more sanding to correct but puzzling nontheless!

This is an example of the rippling

img_5184.jpg

Anyway, the ripples on the fus have been dealt with and it's time to crack on with the rest of the aircraft. Here they're all laid out ready to go.

img_5197.jpg

The parts have all had their initial coat of dope, been sanded smooth and ready for the tissue to be applied.

img_5198.jpg

Tissue on the top surface applied

img_5199.jpg

img_5200.jpg

More to follow...

Rez, did you try dampening/wetting the tissue before laying it on. Some tissue works fine and some gets "wrinkels" in it like you have. Almost tempting to try shrinking dope but because it "shrinks" I avoid it unless covering an open structure with tissue - I had a nasty disfigurement moment with a sheet fin once using shrinking dope, it create a permanent left rudder deflection.... unfortunately it was on a 2 channel Aileron/Elevator model laugh

Thanks John but not having any shrinking dope to hand I persevered... all done with the tissue for now!

And so, after a weekend of doping and sanding... and doping and sanding I finally went for it and started on the primer. First up were the tip tanks... the oh so not round in section tip tanks.

img_5215.jpg

img_5224.jpg

Then onto the control surfaces

img_5226.jpg

And finally the fuselange and the wing

img_5222.jpg

img_5223.jpg

The primer stage is where all the failures of the previous stage come to light... and so on with the little dabs of filler here and there to try and correct for lack of skill and patience at the early stages

img_5227.jpg

img_5228.jpg

One thing to note about this aircraft is... it ain't gonna be a Matt Jones Lightweight! wink

More to follow soon... I hope!

Rez

Edited By Fly_Boy_Rez on 18/05/2014 20:15:17

Edited By Fly_Boy_Rez on 18/05/2014 20:16:33

Looking good Rez, can I ask - before the primer went on, did your tissue and layers of dope/talc generate the egg shell like finish we are after before the paint was applied??

I like the tip tanks - they look really good and defo a lot easier way to generate the flawless finish we are after than covering them with film!!

Well, it's slow progress as all the little flaws and blemishes are sorted. The pinkish filler I applied on Monday was far too hard so I've now bought an alternative, a finer grade easy sand detailing filler. Oh my word... what a difference!

This is how she looked partway through the very messy wet sanding.

img_5231.jpg

img_5232.jpg

And here she is with a second coat of primer applied.

img_5233.jpg

Slowly but surely we're getting there... might even be ready for the 31st! wink

More to follow...