Rez's Jet Provost

I know, I know... the clock is running and events keep conspiring against me... but here's another update.

The time has come to start with the masking. This colour scheme sees the grey top surface extend slightly around to the underside. By the way I can't rate this thin vinyl tape highly enough... absolutely brilliant stuff!

img_5250.jpg

The edges of the wing top surface get a layer of masking as well to protect them from...

img_5251.jpg

...the gloss black underside!

img_5252.jpg

Now onto the fuselage...

img_5256.jpg

More masking tape...

img_5257.jpg

All done bar a light keying rub to the 'to be painted' surface and....

img_5258.jpg

... the current state of play.

img_5259.jpg

The fuselage will need a rub down and a second coat before it can go to final polish and detailing.

It's a slow old process but judging by the results I've achieved on the tip tanks, quite pleasing to the eye. Let's just hope I don't rush things and mess it all up in the next few days eh! Oh and er... let's hope the pieces all still fit together after all this tissue, dope and paint! frown

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/05/2014 08:47:50

It's been a mixed day today... A final coat of black this morning and then this evening it's been all about de-masking and polishing.

The big problem however is that the masking tape is leaving... either a residue or an imprint. The paint is definitely dry so not likley to be an imprint but short of applying cellulose thinners (which will ruin the paint) I can't seem to shift it! Very annoyed! Lesson learned, buy better quality masking tape next time!

Still, here are a few update shots... The de-masking is partway on the fuselage

img_5260.jpg

The grey is a gloss grey (Ford Polar Grey) but not altogether very shiny yet whereas the black paint is looking very good to me!

img_5261.jpg

And finally a gratuitous partial assembly shot. I was a bit worried that with all the tissue and dope the wing wasn't going to go back on but I think I may just get away with a little gentle relieving of the mating faces to get it to fit snuglly again... it's just a little too snug at the moment!

img_5262.jpg

More to follow soon!

Thanks Andy!

Typical! Blooming local chemist doesn't stock and has no idea where to get some. angry

Never mind, I've moved on, wing has been re-sprayed, elevators re-fitted, anti-glare has been masked and painted, just waiting for it to dry.

Pics to follow.

Edited By Fly_Boy_Rez on 27/05/2014 13:38:06

As promised, the latest images bringing you up to date on progress...

First up was the masking necessary for the anti-glare paint on the nose.

img_5263.jpg

I then took the opportunity to re-fit the elevators... good, they still fit!

img_5264.jpg

First coat of Matt Black applied... this is very wet hence the shine! wink

img_5265.jpg

After a second coat the nose is once more de-masked and voila!

img_5267.jpg

Time to start applying stickers and panel lines

img_5270.jpg

The aircraft is now back indoors for the cockpit and crew to be fitted and then onto the canopy. The wing is still in the paintshop to correct some "Hangar Rash" it took this morning... a little remedial paint filler and paint required! angry

More soon!

Busy day today on the model, so here are a few more update images.

Phil texted me to remind me of the paint required on the deck behind the cockpit so here goes... and the cockpit needed to be darker so all good!

img_5271.jpg

img_5273.jpg

Two very surprised looking pilots dropped in with their ejector seats to see how things will sit... it's a bit tight!

By the way the surprised expressions I like to think is a reflection of the progress in one day rather than my ineptitude with a paintbrush! wink

img_5277.jpg

And the two piece canopy taped in place... Can't help but feel the pilots are a little oversized but there you go! I'm really not looking forward to this two piece canopy affair and of course I still have the 'Oh so not clear' Traplet canopy I can fall back to if needed!

More to follow...

I'm getting there... slowly but surely I'm getting there! yes

Time to start painting the canopy hoops and of course this involves masking...

img_5278.jpg

Lots of masking!

img_5279.jpg

While that's all drying, time to get the boys and their seats in.

img_5283.jpg

img_5284.jpg

The rear section of the canopy has been glued in and is held in place with masking tape. Time to get the main canopy in place.

img_5285.jpg

img_5286.jpg

While the canopy glue sets it's time for some nose detail...

img_5287.jpg

and some tail detail

img_5288.jpg

slowly but surely...

Only one whole day to go and we'll all be up on the Great Orme... and again I'm cutting it close!

So here she is, my rendition of N8272M, ex XP567, though not quite finished, still got some roundels to put on the wing top surfaces, a replacement ejector symbol on the starboard side and if I find the time some more panel lines and wing detail.

img_5291.jpg

img_5292.jpg

img_5293.jpg

After all this I hope she flies well!

TTFN!

Thank you all for your kind words chaps!

I'm looking forward to seeing the maiden flight fest that'll be taking place this weekend and Dave, top job on the Al-Fursan c/s for the Aermacchi... I know the pain you went through for that so very well done!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 30/05/2014 09:02:32

I have to say this looks very good for a paint job. It is much more difficult to get a good finish. Will be there with mine which is like Matt's but no where near as good in finish.

Put some lines on with a felt pen but they promptly rubbed off with my sweaty fingers. Will do them again tonight.

Was up till 2am last night and am falling asleep at work.

The boss (me) told me off several times - well woke me up actually.

We have a foster child this weekend so may go on the boat on Saturday and come on Sunday - looks to be no wind on Saturday anyway and weather forecast is improved for Sunday.

Right then, this is the last post before I head to bed ready for an early start for the Orme.

The build has been good fun, challenging and many lessons have been learned, and many still to be learned. I may well compile a lessons learnt log from all of this when I get back. for now, here are the final shots of the finished aircraft. It's definitely not Andy Blackburn / Matt Jones featherweight... in fact I think I probably have the ignominy of having the portliest JP weighing in at 41oz! crying

I definitely didn't do any of the lightening tricks Matt did for his JP, and I used hardly any Cyano, preferring to use a high quality aliphatic wood glue.... oh and then there's the multiple layers of tissue, dope, filler, primer and paint.

Anyway, here are the latest shots, not taken with the iPhone so hopefully the quality will be a tad better.

img_4144.jpg

img_4146.jpg

img_4147.jpg

img_4148.jpg

Rez

• 7 months later...

It's repair time!

After the cartwheel labding which ended my last flight (Really shouldn't have gone up again after the midair which turned my wing to swiss cheese!) it's now time to re-build the wing in anticipation of more PSS fun for 2015.

Step 1: Make up a lower sheet and cut some new ribs... I knew it was a good idea to keep the laser cut sheets!

img_6765.jpg

Step 2,3,4,5 &6: Strengthen wing, add leading edge, cut torque rod slots, fit torque rod, add strngthening plates to R2-4, fit CF spar

img_6772.jpg

Step...whatever: Test fit new wing, mating up the new R2 against the old R2. I'm looking for a good glue joint here, along with the CF spar and I'll probably sink another wing joiner in for good measure then skin the wing.

img_6773.jpg

Oh such fun!