Rez's Jet Provost

It's confession time... I bolloxed it up! crying

The eagle eyed might spot that (to paraphrase Sesame Street) "one of these wings is not like the other..."

In my infinite wisdom, as I'm building this replacement wing I seem to have had a whole bunch of warning signs that someting wasn't quite right... and somehow I resolved in my mind to work around them and get on with the wing rather than stop, think and investigate WHY things weren't quite right. I won't go into the details but suffice it to say the wing trailing edge angle was all wrong resulting in a tip chord about 5mm too long.

photo 03-02-2015 19 49 08.jpg

Arse! angry

I therefore had a chat with Phil about this and ended up repairing the wing rather than start all over again. First off, trim back the wing to the correct profile and then de-skin the top surface to dig out the torque rod so it could be re-set into the correct position.

photo 04-02-2015 07 48 59.jpg

In the process of getting the epoxy off via Dremel, the sleeves of the torque rod got damaged. These were repaired with heatshrink tubing.

photo 05-02-2015 01 28 13.jpg

Where the aileron sits, since the hard balsa had been cut out I needed to replace it with a set of indivdual sections, carefully sanded to height to make a nice snug infill.

photo 05-02-2015 01 28 23.jpg

New rib TE were cut out of decently wide balsa, glued in and then the whole area was re-skinned and sanded flush.

photo 06-02-2015 00 57 04.jpg

And there we have it, port and starboard wings the same shape at last! Now to move back into the garage for the tissue and dope and spraying.... Eurgh! frown

photo 08-02-2015 09 48 52.jpg

Nice recovery Rez - great job! Repairing a model is often a good way to force learning and develop skills and methods beyond those of just building from the plan - so its great that you've had to scratch you head a bit and think this one through to a successful, completed repair thumbs up

Look forward to seeing the JP airborne again in April.

• 1 month later...