Phil's PSS Jet Provost - Build Blog

Thanks for the comments chaps, nice to know you are following the build...

The wing is now fully covered, ailerons are hinged and fitted, its been detailed with a few major panel lines and decals - just the tip tanks to detail now - not fitted in these photos - they are a complex pattern of silver and orange - more fiddly ironing...

covered 1.jpg

covered 2.jpg

I've still got to fit a couple of servos and the Rx and battery, and find somewhere to mount the switch without it being too obtrusive, then balance and RC check - but she's about ready to roll!

Phil's JP was succesfully maidened this afternoon at the Great Orme - I think I heard someone say the wind speed was around 30 -40mph but could be wrong, it felt strong enough. Photo's were taken so I am sure Phil will pop up at some point to provide an update - probably monday as weather for tomorrow looks like it will be another full day of PSS flying on the Orme.

Well as reported above, I did successfully maiden my JP this weekend, in fact it flew 4 times over the 2 days with the PSSA on the Great Orme. It was a little too windy to be ideal for a maiden, but having burnt the midnight all last week to get it there in a flyable state, I was determined to test it!

On Saturday morning before the flight, it was introduced to one of its founder stable mates - John Hey's superb example of the JP hand crafted from the same plan.

flying 1.jpg

flying 2.jpg

As for the flight itself, the C of G had been set at 61mm back from the L/E as per the plan (I needed to add an oz of lead in the nose to get it there) and the control throws were set roughly in line with those recommended. My model had been weighed in ready to fly at 30 oz and following a range check she was ready to go. We launched the model further down the hill as the top edge lip had been proven a little dicey for launching in the winds gusting to 50mph.

She set off nice and straight but needed a good few notches of down trim to stop her ballooning up. She was quite nippy and very responsive in both pitch and roll, I had already set my expo to -20% but this was later increased. At the end of day 1 I added another slither of lead up front as I felt she was slightly tail heavy still - my elevator travel was reduced and I upped the expo to -50%.

On day 2, again flying in high winds 40mph+, the model proved much more tamed, and was now quite easy to fly around smoothly as a model jet should be - the expo helps no end here. She was nicely aerobatic, does lovely big loops, and has a spritely roll rate with full stick applied. Landings proved no problem in the high winds and she was controllable right down to the deck - so 4 flights, 4 landings - and now back home in one piece for a few more scale details to be added now before the Mass Build event running as planned 1st June. Thanks to Matt Jones for capturing the in flight images below...

flying 3.jpg

flying 4.jpg

Well done, Phil.

I'm glad it went well for you, and you missed the rocks. You have made a great job of the build, and a superb finish to an original colour scheme.

Now, I'm envious that you've finished and I'm still some way off. However, I'm just about to resume my build and still hope to join you on 1st June.

BTW, John's model looks brilliant too, and great flying shots from Matt.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 14/04/2014 00:18:04

• 4 weeks later...

I've added a few more scale details to my Jet Provost since it's maiden flight and refined the control throw settings a little further, so she will be tested and improved for her next outing 31st May/1st June.

It's not all been laid back and relaxed since my last update as with my model now finished, another JP has found its way into my garage for covering - this one has been built by my dad who has selected a very pretty silver and yellow trainer scheme... as you can see a few nights work has most of the parts now fully covered and detailed, just the fus to go then this one can be assembled and another JP will be born in time for the Mass Build event!!

dad2.jpg

dad4.jpg

dad5.jpg

Ill use this post as a means to issue a 'final call' for Mass Build T-Shirt orders - anyone still wanting one in time for the event please email me at [email protected] stating your size requirement - I need to place the order THIS WEEKEND to ensure they are here in time for the our meet on the Orme.

Thanks Steve, the covering does take a bit of time but a combination of heat gun and iron gets it down ok with a little work in certain problematic areas - its solarfilm all round (both models - orange and silver). There are a few wrinkles in certain areas if you look real close!!

The panel lines are just drawn on with a fine permanent marker, using a plastic rule which has a ridge on its spine so when used inverted it doesn't sit on the workpiece, it is slightly offset - so no risk of smudging... the lines do rub off if you over handle them, not so much with water but with oils from your hands - but they are easily maintained throughout the season with the pen and a ruler.

I'm nearly done on the second model now, all the covering and main detailing is complete, Ive spent some time adding a number of details to each airframe, lots of tiny markings that bring these PSS models to life... both models have been done in a similar manner, but here's a close up of #2.

dad9.jpg

Was hoping to get a shot of them both finished outside together this evening, but I was home too late from work then got distracted with kids and tea and I missed my window of opportunity... so expect another concluding photo tomorrow of the two finished airframes...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 12/05/2014 21:30:31

Phil,

Thanks for the feedback. I have always used Solarfilm, but many say that Oracover or similar brands are better for negotiating tight curves, although you have managed brilliantly.

I've never done panel lines, but could give your method a try if I get anywhere near to a finished model in time!

I got home from work in time to set up the models and get a few snaps before the rain came! They look well together sat on the lawn (yes, I know it needs mowing - I've been busy in the garage!!)

jp5.jpg

jp4.jpg

Harry my 4 year old son was so impressed he left he place in front of the telly to come and join the action - he seems quite pleased with these two!!

harry and jpsforum.jpg

So, I guess that's the end of my build blog, both models are complete and ready for the slope. I'll see you all in Llandudno!!! beer

• 3 months later...