Darran a Dawn Flyer (A first ever build)

Darran

A couple more points on prop adaptors.....

They come in different lengths so another make might be longer.

They can be 3mm or 3.175mm ( 1/8th inch ) which are very similar, but not really safe using a 3.175 and closing it down does not grip well enough on a 3mm shaft.
For trial fitting a prop should be fitted ( without Battery!) to ensure it clears, especially when downthrust or side thrust is used.
A spinner or round ended spinner nut is required by BMFA rules.

F1with motorToday I made a bit of progress, I have mounted my motor to F1 with F1A glued in place. I have measured the height of the whole thing from the back of F1 to the front face of the prop collet. This measures 52mm. So using BEB's advice if leaving 7-9mm from the front of the fus would place the back of F1A 43mm from the front of the fus which is pretty close to the front and much further forward than I imagined.

Edited By Darran on 15/02/2014 19:39:57

Prop selection for electric is a black art! Well without a Watt meter it is. Prop needs to match the motor to avoid drawing too much current and blowing the ESC.
Follow whatever prop is recommended for YOUR motor not what others fit to this model with different Kv ratings / motors /number of cells.

Posted by kc on 15/02/2014 19:33:21:
Prop selection for electric is a black art! Well without a Watt meter it is. Prop needs to match the motor to avoid drawing too much current and blowing the ESC.
Follow whatever prop is recommended for YOUR motor not what others fit to this model with different Kv ratings / motors /number of cells.

It gives my two prop sizes

Prop size: 7.4V/12x6 14.8V/8x4

Motor is 1100kv 313watt with a plush 40a esc and a 2200 20-30c 3s lipo. Manual (if you can call it that) suggests 12x6 for lipox2

As has been said prop selection is a bit of a black art. So any advice is a bit "suck it and see"! 12x6 sounds a big big for 3s on this motor - but the only way to know is with a Wattmeter. I know its more expense - but a wattmeter really is indispensable when using electric power - you simply have to know how much current your motor is drawing so you can select the right prop. The meter will pay for itself in the motors and ESC you don't burn out!

With the meter you can take the throttle up gradually and be sure you don't exceed the maximum for your ESC/motor. If the motor is taking too much current you need to lower the prop load (either a smaller diameter or smaller pitch). If you are not reaching close to the max permitted current then you can fit a prop with a higher loading - either bigger diameter or larger pitch.

BEB

I had to order some servos and a receiver for this model so at the same time I ordered a wattmeter. Thanks again for the advice fella's.

Hoping to crack on with the build this week. Been a little slow so far but will have more time this week to get it looking more like a plane and less like a pile of wood.

Darran,

To avoid those marks on the wood when you use clamps try placing a bit of scrap balsa between the clamp and your work.

I think some others have mentioned this little anomaly re the rear end, you could try gluing the longerons to the tub and build the rest whilst inverted on the plan, your solution will also work.

Regards

John

Posted by John Milne on 21/02/2014 21:47:59:

Darran,

To avoid those marks on the wood when you use clamps try placing a bit of scrap balsa between the clamp and your work.

I think some others have mentioned this little anomaly re the rear end, you could try gluing the longerons to the tub and build the rest whilst inverted on the plan, your solution will also work.

Regards

John

Yes John I have been putting extra pieces in between but just for some reason didn't on this bit and managed to mark the balsa. I have plenty of this though so will redo it.

i am sure I can correct the anomaly. At least it gives me chance to experience how to fix things that don't go to plan.

Bits of balsa or ply to spread the clamp pressure are the answer. However if you do get a dent in balsa a very good trick that often works is to put one drip of water into the dent, then one more drip right into the dent but not the surrounding balsa and leave overnight. Miraculously lots of dents will expand & disappear this way - no cost and no weight increase like filler. The old tricks are the best!

Posted by kc on 22/02/2014 12:44:34:
Bits of balsa or ply to spread the clamp pressure are the answer. However if you do get a dent in balsa a very good trick that often works is to put one drip of water into the dent, then one more drip right into the dent but not the surrounding balsa and leave overnight. Miraculously lots of dents will expand & disappear this way - no cost and no weight increase like filler. The old tricks are the best!

I tried this and it worked a treat. Great tip.

Ok so i have an idea in my head to make the front top cover for my model removable rather than fixed so i can gain access to the motor etc from the top. Was going to form the top sheeting as one removable cover fixed by magnets or some tiny brass fixings rather like an old car bonet possibly.

Is this a feasable modification or am i just asking for issues

Edited By Darran on 26/02/2014 19:46:04

Fus tailFus tailSo I took the plunge and fitted the tail section to the main fus. I followed BEB's datum line method and all appears to be in line. The body of the plane is now coming together nicely. I have avoided using cyano and stuck with aliphatic, which gives me more time to position etc, the downside of course is it takes longer to dry.

Tail errorRight I have made my first mistake. I was working on the lattice work in the tail and looked at the plan I wrongly assumed that the markings for the struts that fit from bottom to top were straight ones between. The bottom runner and the top braces. In the picture above you can see the mistake.

Question is do I leave them in or remove them this is the question.