Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Watching the mass build grow over the last few years has been fantastic, and I am sure that the organisers are responsible for a good few modellers having a bash at building, well done chaps. It fills me with hope for the future of scale modelling.

Anyway Mr Bott and I were wondering if any modellers would like to perhaps up their game a bit and join in with perhaps a scale build?

The subject matter is the DHC1 Chipmunk. The Elite plan is by Dennis Bryant and it is at 1/6th scale. This will give a model of 68" span. The hope is this will give you a taste of a fairly accurate scale build. There are areas where the modeller can duck out of the tough bits if they want and improvise.

The model is for IC but we will be converting it for electric. Chris wants to use a conventional lipo, I will probably go down the A123 route. Those that want to follow our mods then great. If you want to build it stock for IC then that's great too. The more the merrier.

The build wont start for several months, so people could perhaps gather bits at shows during the summer. We thought we would give early notice and see if anybody wants to join in. I have the bits and they look very good quality and not overly expensive, Chris has ordered his kit and is waiting delivery.

Any parts we mould, such as exhausts, spinner, landing light bowl, I will make available to those that have a thread in the "build-along" at cost plus postage, just so you cannot use that as an excuse wink 2

So anybody want to take on a twin cockpit classic trainer with rivets, rib tape and a landing light?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 21/03/2014 17:16:33

I obtained an Airsail Chipmunk kit last year, which someone had started. The idea was to take the constructed parts to bits (built in warps) and rebuild it as my first proper scale build. It is also 1/6 scale.

I could build along with you and compare construction.

kevinb.

Aaaaaaargh!!! I thought I had just sorted out my build plans and now you come up with this! How did you know that I already have the plan and cut parts in a nice box all hidden away so I don't get tempted yet!!surprise

Also my lovely but now late HK Zlin 50L has very recently involuntarily donated an ASP 70 FS which will go nicely into the Chippie.wink 2

How can I not do a build along with you all???

Count me in then - maybe this is the discipline I need to crack on with my list. My recent build timetable has just been binned.

Must finish the Grob Tutor, Oodalally and my long suffering Dennis Bryant Turbulent first tho' so don't rush things!

My Chippie has to be the RAF silver/dayglo Cambridge UAS scheme seen in the 60'sbut largely ignored these days in preference for the earlier silver/yellow band scheme or the red/white scheme of the 70's.

Terry

Welcome aboard Glenn, Terry, Kevin Thanks KC I don't know the plan you mention but this one by Dennis we have already purchased. I have also bought the glass cowl and clear canopy. Its pretty accurate and uses some nice build techniques to master.
It should be fun. Hopefully start in the autumn, so get the boards cleared
Cheers
Danny

Rats, would have loved to join in, but I'm halfway through a SLEC/Apache Chipmunk build. It's sort of 1/5 scale (well, stand-(way)-off scale that is) and I have too many other kits and plans waiting to do another Chipmunk, but I will be following with interest.

I've flown a few full-sized Chipmunks and rebuilt/restored/maintained even more, so if I can help with photos or info let me know (although my access to them is less frequent now).

David

When I was in the Air Cadets, '71/72, we used to go to Cambridge Airport for flight experience with the Cambridge UAS and I'm pretty sure they were still silver based then, can't remember if they had yellow bands, side flashes or bit like Terry's example. Will have to see if I can find my old log book, would like to finish the model as one of the ones I flew in!

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 21/03/2014 21:14:15

Danny, I'd love too but I've got to clear the decks and there's a lot to do, including something a bit different. However, as I assume that this is intended for mid-2015(?), it might be possible depending on other things.

I flew in Chipmunks with the ATC from Shawbury and Waterbeach late 50s, early 60s. At Waterbeach my pilot was USAF seconded to the RAF to fly Javelins. When he asked me before the flight if I'd like to do aerobatics and did I get sick, I knew I'd got it coming and boy, was it worth it! I wasn't sick either!

I recall that was when they were starting to use dayglo orange flashes for increased visibility.