Traplet Farmhand 90

Anyone interested in a build log for a traplet Farmhand 90?

It's been done before on these forums, but I've made a few minor changes and I always think it's a good idea to see how different people tackle things.

I've been posting it on my local club forums and have just joined RCME. I don't mind re-posting what I've done to date, then going live with the finish if it will be of interest to anyone.

OK here goes. I'll do a brief introduction first:

The Farmhand 90 is a 90 inch wingspan approximation of a piper pawnee crop duster. It's made from a woodpart kit supplied by Traplet publications along with a DVD, which shows most (not all) of the important steps of building and flying the model.

The wood pack is litterally that - 13 (I think) sheets of laser cut ply / balsa. There are no other materials supplied, including a fair amount of stock balsa / ply, so this is left to the builder. It does add a fair bit to the overall cost of the model.

This is a video created by the designer, which is s good introduction to the model I think.

Sorted. It was Internet Explorer compatibility issues. Here we go then:

The first job was to separate the parts form the wood pack sheets and run a vacuum cleaner hose over them to remove the soot from the CNC laser cutter.

Starting with the two fuselage sides:

They are made up from two interlocking parts, which were fitted together, masking taped and glued using medium cyano. 6mm square stringers were then added to the top and bottom of the fuselage halves, ensuring that I was making a left and a right hand half.

dscn2623low[1].jpg

Offcut of light ply were then cyano'd on the INSIDE of the fuselage sides for the servo screws.

dscn2625low[1].jpg

Several formers need to be laminated together for added strength. For example, Former F2 is laminated to former F2A. The small rectangular slot is for a matching tongue in the front of the removable wing.

The large square hole is for the tank / engine box assembly - more on this later.

dscn2626low[1].jpg

Very quickly, you finsh up with something which resembles an aeroplane fuselage. This process is really very quick. I think it only took an hour or so to assemble these parts. The assemby instructions and the DVD are very clear on showing how this goes together, so I'll not dwell on it.

dscn2628low[1].jpg

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 06/04/2014 17:25:58:

Glad to see you did not have the same issue`s that I had.

My Farmhand build.

It is finished ready for covering.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 06/04/2014 17:35:14

Hi Kevin,

I read your blog with interest before I started mine. Gave me a few tips for what to look out for.

I assume the issues you are talking about are the inaccurate laser cut parts. No mine were all pretty good.

I felt for you when you got to the bit where the servo holes were in the wrong ribs blush

The positive side of making the mistake and publishing it is that it helps others avoid similar problems. I made sure that I cut some small squares in the lower surface before I skinned the top (see later in my build log). You can take some credit for that wink

Posted by john stones 1 on 06/04/2014 17:17:34:

Looks a nice kit Gary

Not a model I have seen, whats impression of quality so far ?

Hi John,

Not the prettiest of models, but it's certainly got character and I'm sure it will be a real work horse.

As a designer myself (not models), I can appreciate some of the excellent design features of this model. I'm very impressed by how well it goes together and the speed that the fuselage can be built. The only quality issue I have noticed is that some of the "denser" sheets of ply were not cut cleanly all the way through. It is as if the CNC laser power needed turning up a bit. It resulted in the finished face being slightly tapered, and was tricky to break free from the cut sheet. Nothing a sharp knife and bit of sandpaper couldn't sort though.

Part DE is a triangle of lite ply reinforcement. The photo is a view from the underside at the front and will soon be covered by the undercarriage plate. Note the 6mm step between part DE and the edge above it and also the step between the former at the left hand side. This is intentional in order to give the undercarriage plate plenty of interlocking surface area for achieving a good glued joint. More on this later. The part on the left is laminated former F2 / F2A as shown earlier.

dscn2639low[1].jpg

This is the undercarriage plate as offered up to the hole in the fuselage. Note the top-hat shape. This is made up if 4 pieces of 3mm lite ply laminated together. 2 smaller than the other, with a 3mm overhang all round. This allows it to sit in the hole, and be bonded on 2 faces to former F2A (with the slot for the wing tongue) and the triangular reinforcements DE. All in all, a well thought out front end. Note that the undercarriage will screw into the plate using self tappers, rather than the usual captive nut / bolt arrangement.dscn2641low[1].jpg