Traplet Farmhand 90

Hi Gary,

Great blog and great plane, shame about the quality of the kit !

I have read the blog twice now and I still can't see where you bought the undercarriage from, as I now need just such an item for a large model I own I wondered if you could shed some light?

Many thanks and bounce free landings,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I originally had a Carbon fibre undercarriage which was far too stiff so I gave up on it.

I made a second one out of piano wire with some built in suspension. I have some pictures which I'll add on here.

dscn3115low.jpg

Elastic bands can be replaced to give the required suspension strength.

dscn3116low.jpg

dscn3117low.jpg

dscn3118low.jpg

Hollow wall fittings used to make captive nuts.

Can't use normal captive nuts because of the way the front end is fully boxed in, so I used these.
**LINK**

dscn3119low.jpg

Trial fit of undercarriage plate made up from 3 layers of lite-ply.

dscn3120low.jpg

New undercarriage is interchangeable with the old Carbon fibre one.

dscn3121low.jpg

Finished with a bit of lite ply and colour coordinated covering.

dscn3122low.jpg

dscn3123low.jpg

• 1 month later...

An update on my build, cooling slots for the ESC are now done, they will be fed from the vee slot in the firewall which in turn will be fed from the scoop on the cowl.

It,s nice to start putting servos in ,etc. Should just about be done by the end of summer !!

dscf0154.jpg

dscf0155.jpg

dscf0156.jpg

This should also flow air over the batteries. Keep the posts coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage finished, Gary, thanks for the graphics, so far I've just printed them onto self-adhesive ink-jet gloss vinyl because I don't need them to be fuel-proof.

dscf0159.jpg

The battery hatch is held down by two servo arms used as swing keepers at one end and a solid tab at the other. I have purchased some new (heavy duty) li-po's and done some more testing : -

21 x 8 falcon wood

12s - 4300w = 5.73 hp !!!! with a thrust of 28lb @ 7900rpm

waaaay too much for what I need,but still impressive, still well under it's rated max.Intend propping down to about 4 - 4.5 hp for longer flight times. he he

I don't have any scales but I'll see what I can do with the kitchen scales when Mrs M isn't looking.

Model is looking good.

If that's a braced / unsprung undercarriage, you might find landing a bit tricky.

I've not done a good landing yet! It wants to relaunch when rear end lowers and then the rear end wants to overtake the front end when power is reduced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maiden completed !!!! Took off straight and true, couple of clicks down to trim and that's all. HAPPY BUNNY laugh.

Gary, undercart fine, biggest problem I had was I slowed it down too much and nearly dumped it on the ground , but powered up to lift the nose and she came in ok. Must come in with a bit more power next time.although even at low speed she still remained responsive.AND I've got waaay too flap he he.

Good luck to everyone. What about this farmhand get together ??

• 6 months later...

Hi all, Been flying "dusty" a bit now. I have propped down to a 20x8 falcon and the power is now 3250w @76A,which is still about 4.3 h.p.This is ample for vertical climb and massive loops. All I need to do now is drag a glider up and the job'll be a good-un.

Anyone else flying there's yet ?

I'll try and get some video to put on. Cheers, Dave

• 6 years later...