Traplet Farmhand 90

Note the extra short rib with a samll gap between the proper ring and the small pen mark on the sheet to mark the position of the gap between them. This gap, and the 1mm gap between the trailing edge sheeting and spar will later be used to guide a saw blade to form the aelerons and flaps.

dscn2690low[1].jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/04/2014 23:27:05

When dry, a razer saw blade (without the handle) was used to separate the aeleron and flaps from the wing using the small gaps as a guide. Note that the end facing is already in place on the released control surfaces.

The designer recommends using a band saw for this. I didn't for 2 reasons

1. I only have a scroll saw.

2. I'm not that braveface 7

dscn2703low[1].jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/04/2014 23:34:31

The next part of the wing construction is to face the control surfaces as they are open where they were separated from the wing at this point. The idea is to cut 12mm from the leading edge of the surface, then glue a 12mm solid balsa leading edge on, and shape it back to the original wing profile. The designer uses a band saw with adjustable fence to cut the 12mm off. I only have a scroll saw, so I had to make the most of what I've got.

Scroll saw with blade in at 90 degrees (feed wood in from right to left).

Couple of bits of scrap to extend the base and act as give something to clamp a home made fence.

dscn2707low[1].jpg

Fence clamped in place lifts the trailing edge up to give the right angle of cut and with a depth gauge to allow exactly 12mm to be removed from the control surfaces.

dscn2708low[1].jpg

Like this - half way through the cut.

dscn2709low[1].jpg

This is the cut surface and the bit that was removed.

dscn2710low[1].jpg

And here's the 12mm balsa leading edge added.

dscn2711low[1].jpg

Your lasercut parts are decidedly better than my traplet Gladiator. Size was poor and i could have achieved a squarer edge freehand . Not impressed by traplet. Had two previous laser kits from a competitor much better.What brand is the scroll saw. Good to see you are happy with the build

Alan

Hi Alan

I guess I have been lucky with the kit. I must admin though that I didn't put much effort into checking the sizing / edges. I just removed the residual tabs where it was cut from the sheet. Some of the edges were'nt truely square, but there arent that many butt joints where it make a difference - hopefully.

Scroll saw is nothing special. It was very cheap when I bought it - about £50 I think.

Its a Titan SF16G (16 inch 85 Watt 1400 rpm 6 1/2 inch coping saw blades).

It looks almost identical to this, with a different badge

**LINK**