Jet Provost Late Starter Build

I have a set of decals for the Jet Provost scheme in Red Grey and White. I am doing the grey and fluroescent red scheme. Tried to exchange with Pyramid Models who said tough we have cut them now. I would like to order a new set. If you would like them the cost to me was £35.26 Not bothered about P&P. If you want them send me your name and address and a cheque or pay by BACS. PM me and I will send you bank details

(Email address edited out to avoid the bots..Pete B)

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 17/05/2014 17:19:43

If you don't get any takers for the decals could you uses any bits that might be common to both (roundels, fin markings, maybe RESCUE etc.) and ask Pyramid just to cut you the extra bits you need for the scheme you've chosen (registration number etc.) .... they may come up with a cheaper price.

I take it all back. The jets were a piece of cake in balsa, thanks to the Andy Blackburn masking tape method of shielding unwanted sanding areas. Thanks Andy. So many brilliant tips I have picked up on this brilliant blog thingie.

cheshire east-20140517-00120.jpg

Think I will finish in time now thanks to late nights and arguments with the trouble and strife. Hadn't told her about the deadline and she thought I was ignoring her. Sound familiar?

Anyway - pilots. I went down the Pete's Pilot route - exactly the right size and just the same as the pictures of real JP pilots I found on Google Images. Only trouble is the finish is a bit rough and it is difficult to paint accurately, hence the need to show you a long distance shot.

As they were so small I tack glued some 6mm dowels in the hole at the bottom and it worked a treat. To dry I rested them in some scrap balsa on top of a jar.

More pilot photos and inside cockpit detail.

Unlike Phil I have put the silver solartrim on the canopy before I stuck it to the fuselage. Figured it would be easier because I can see the lines through the moulding. Has gone on reallly well, suprsingly.

Like Phil I have some canopy glue which works a treat and doesn't leave a mark. It is a sort of rubbery consistency when dry - like clear silicone consistency. Have left it to dry held on with masking tape.

Maybe I could use it to glue fibreglasses to formers?

Oh Yes - JP - have decided to solarfilm most parts before assembly eg Tip Tanks, Tailplane and Fin, Ailerons, and Elevator.cheshire east-20140517-00124.jpg

I think it was Andy that cut the head off one of his pilots - poor chap - seemed very well none the less - and swivelled him to the right so he is looking out of the window. I decided to do the same. He is saying,

"Oh look, there are another 300 JP Provosts in different liveries from back in time. What are they all doing here Garry? Looks like one of them is in the Irish Sea? Where is the rest of your body below the neck then?"

cheshire east-20140517-00125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Phil and Matt and the others for organising an absolutely fabulous event at the Orme on Saturday and Sunday. I met some very pleasant helpful people - an awful lot of very hard work had gone into many of the models and I felt extremely humbled by everyone's incredible modesty and self deprecation.

My efforts were woeful in comparison to others. Big congratulations to the very worthy winners.

I have posted one or two photos here but most of them are accessible from the Leek & Moorland Website News Story, which has a link to the picture gallery of photographs I took.

**LINK**

• 1 year later...

If there is a lesson to be learned from Sunday up at the Orme it is get rid of scale battery switches. I was planning to fly the JP in a 15 mph wind in perfect conditions. I use a switch mounted inside the fuselage activated with a wire for "scale" reasons - did the same with the Hawk and had the same problem - it switched itself off on a landing then launched with no control and crashed splitting the fuselage in 2.

This time it was the JP's turn. I turned on at the car - very short walk to the edge of the Westerly slope - did pre-flight checks (at the car), walked to the edge and chucked off. "Going nicely" I thought - it rose in the lift straight and true, then I tried to push the nose down and realised I had no control at all. It somehow had switched itself off. I watched in horror as it turned down wind and headed for a crop of rocks - fortunately it landed nose first in a grassy patch not rocks - phew!

The wing came off and I went over to inspect the damage

1. Dented nose - but not too bad
  2. Pilots came loose (what use were they when I lost control?)
  3. Sheet of balsa came off behind the wing.
  4. Wing dented at the front on one side, and upper balsa sheet cracked.

It says a lot for the design of the JP that it wasn't damaged more - lucky escape - lesson learned - no more scale switches!

img_20150621_111309.jpg

I repaired the sheeting at the Orme with some superglue - worked OK - though I might as well make a start.

img_20150621_111345.jpg

img_20150621_111429.jpg

img_20150623_074639.jpg

I was lucky that I put the wing nut in upside down with the hooks pointing downwards. It was a mistake. I forgot to put it in first underneath. It saved more damage as it just pulled out on impact.

Anyway have made a start on repairs and I think it will be easy to fix. I thought the canopy would be difficult to remove but I don't think so. Will lever off quite easily.

Managed to piece the broken leading edge back together and wick some cyano into the joins. Filled and it is back to normal.

img_20150622_202914.jpg

img_20150622_202942.jpg

img_20150623_074619.jpg

Ahh - if I use 1st gear and drive a few continetal chicanes I can get to the slope without validating if I'm with or without model/s by using the back gate, mind you if the slope police are doing checks I'll have to stand by someone else's model, or say I lost it in the sea.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 23/06/2015 23:10:31

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate arrival. I too have just fitted a wire push rod to my JP switch. It was one thing I didn't manage to complete in time for the mass build, so I have had to remove the wing to turn it on and off up till now. I have used several of these before and never had probelms, so I wouldn't necessarily give up on this system, which gives a neat finish, as you said.

I originally fitted them with 'push' for on, to avoid inadvertent switch off during launch, but I ended up switching it on when ever I lay it on the bench to work on it. So, now its always 'pull' for on. However I try to locate the wire out of reach of a 'launch hand' and I'm sure you do something similar, so maybe yours was just bad luck.

Posted by Steve Houghton on 23/06/2015 23:44:12:

However I try to locate the wire out of reach of a 'launch hand' and I'm sure you do something similar, so maybe yours was just bad luck.

hehehe to be fair to Pete, he's a well handy flier as recently demonstrated on the Orme in June, but his launching is pretty clumsy from what I've seen - dont know why?

bighands.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 24/06/2015 15:02:38

I think the correct text response is LOL. No I did really chuckle at that. Yes c**p launcher, though on this occasion, unusually it was a good launch. I have very long arms, but even larger feet - like clown's feet measuring at least 200 metres, which means I can ALWAYS land at my own feet.

Clown Feet

Not a worry. It is so much easier to repair a JP than a moulded fibreglass rocket ship, let me assure you.

Will have it repaired without a trace (sort of) for August. Just hope we have enough wind for the Tornados.

You should have been at the Orme on Sunday it was awesome in the afternoon particularly.

Seriously Steve, I went through the same thought process as you ie on the JP it was pull for off and push for on, then on the Hawk the other way round ie pull for on and push for off, and I have had the same type of accident with them both, so no more for me, I am afraid.

The only way round is DO A PRE FLIGHT CHECK BEFORE YOU CHUCK IT OFF THE HILL EVERY TIME, and DON'T DO YOUR PRE-FLIGHT CHECK AT THE CAR and then walk to the slope.

I had a dunce's hat on my head the whole way home. People were commenting in passing cars, particularly because of my very large hands, as they couldn't see my large shoes.

Well, trouble and strife is away so some repairing tonight.

Checked out the cause of the crash. IT WAS NOT THE SWITCH. Servos were twitching and then stopped working even with the switch on? So I took all the receiver and battery out, and I THINK it was a battery connection that had worked loose? Not sure but I think so. I checked the battery voltage at 5.26 so battery was OK.

So the switch - The hole in the fuselage side for the wire was too big, so I put in some cryano and squirted accelerator on it, which makes a form of filler and tightens the gap. One then breaks the joint and the fit is tighter - a tip from Ian Mason's Willow blog, thank you Ian.

img_20150624_210649.jpg

The tape in the last photo is to hold the canopy down whilst it dries. I removed it easily enough and glued the pilots back. However they were covered in sticky goo? It was as though the misting up was the canopy melting and falling on their heads. It was weird. Any ideas? It could be of course that they were getting too close in there as trainer and trainee?

Any way have cut away the damage to the nose and filled it back with balsa and put epoxy and microballoons mix in the gaps to fill. Used the left over filler to attach the wing nut wrong way up onto the ply support plate to make perhaps a little stronger.

Also have covered the wings with solarfilm and trim.

Have also patched the Ideal wing with white solarfilm so nearly all done and ready to fly again - that didn't take long now did it?

img_20150624_221216.jpg

img_20150624_210718.jpg