Jet Provost Late Starter Build

Yes, it's coming together again very nicely Pete. I'm always amazed at how quickly many models can be repaired. It's just a matter of getting over that first hump of despair at where to start!

There's certainly no way that switch was ever going to be poked by the 'launch hand', even if it were to match Phil's great photo! Perhaps you'll change your mind about avoiding wires now - I think they are a great idea.

Love the shoes - bet they're great for recovering wayward models from the Mermaid pool without getting wet feet!

• 3 months later...

So at the Orme this weekend, I couldn't understand on my 4th flight with the JP why it wouldn't roll. It was flying with only one aileron but I didn't realise at the time.

Decided to land and misguidedly applied the air brakes - both ailerons up and some down elevator - with one aileron it went into a spiral dive but forunately landed on a down slope, but still cracked the wing and broke the wing dowel.

This is the damage I found when I took the covering off. Good job I stripped it as it was pretty badly cracked. Should have cut a new piece of 1.5mm sheet rather than trying to piece it together - anyway too late now, so will see.

I think I am going to cover the wing with some 25gram fibreglass cloth and water based varnish to give it extra strength.

dsc_0254.jpg

dsc_0255.jpg

• 7 months later...

Yet another JP crash at the Bwlch - this one was a puzzle. I was pulling round at quite some speed for a landing. I pulled on the switch which usually operates the spoilerons (both ailerons up and elevator slightly down) when it went into an uncontrollable dive and broke the same wing which broke last time. I was really annoyed as it happened in full view of everyone.

I have repaired the wing now. I think it was weak from the last repair which was just a glue back together job. This time I inserted a 1/16" ply brace into the wing next to the spar, which should be a lot stronger. I am also going to cover with some 25gram cloth top and bottom.

So how did it happen? I fired everything up on the bench and pulled the switch - both ailerons went up but the elevator went down about 8mm - far too much and enough to provoke a vertical dive - the reason was that I was using my new transmitter for the first time, which was wrongly programmed! I also realised that I had also programmed in Butterfly which was activated using the throttle stick, so I was probably engaging that during the flight.How annoying

I have now covered the damage in silver solarfilm, but had to cut off the lettering from underneath. I just couldn't find the right font for the lettering so I could print it off on clear decal film and stick it on. I searched for RAF Lettering Font and found this site - has all the Air Force Lettering Fonts you might ever need - now installed on my PC - **LINK** I have now printed the N and the 5 onto the film and sprayed it with clear lacquer to make the ink jet printing waterproof.

• 3 years later...