Converting the Black Horse Chippie

Thanks.

Quick question:

This will be my first model with flaps. In the manual it gives the control throws but doesn't mention the flaps.

I was thinking of programming half and full flap on my Taranis but I am not sure what the deflections should be.

Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff...

Hi Geoff,

you need two settings. One is mainly for take-off and has the main purpose of increasing the wing's ability to produce lift at lower speeds. The second is mainly aimed at creating extra drag on landing approaches, so allowing a steeper angle of decent without the associated gain in speed.

What values you have is a bit hit and miss. Setting this up on the Taranis is, I think, best done by assigning the flap position initially, not to a switch, but to a side-slider. I would then assign the mix between flaps and elevator (which you will need) to the other slider. This way the amount of flap and the degree of mix are both continuously variable and you can optimise them by experimant in the air. If you set up your Taranis so that these two elements are 'global variables' you can get the Tx to speak out their value. Once you have these values then you can "hard wire" them to a single switch which gives you two flap settings with an appropriate amount of elevator mix in each case.

Easy-peasey!

BEB

Hi Geoff, and BEB, who is absolutely right. Flaps on models,

Full size aerodynamics make use of 15° and 30°.

I have found over quite a few models that anything over 25° can be difficult for scaled down aerodynamics and weight to handle. The point being, consider lower deflections for first trials, say 10° and 20°, and work from there. These lesser deflections still allow the model to slow to landing speed without becoming very difficult to handle.

WW2 fighter aircraft could have in excess of 40° flap, but were 1000 times heavier than our models, and 1000hp made them 1000 times more powerful too, making it difficult to confidently apply full size criteria to our models.

we experiment like BEB suggests

and at that setting they were used as drag brakes, not lift enhancing devices! With large flap movements you use a steeper 'glide' slope keeping a little power and speed on. As I've proved on countless occasions (I'm a slow learner!) if you use a lot of flap in an attempt to land more slowly you WILL land heavily or simply drop out of the sky.

Hi BEB.

First of all, this thread has been a great help – many thanks.

Secondly, I have taken your advise in your last post but I have run into a problem. I wonder if you can make sense of the following:

Using Companion 2.1.8, I have set up a ‘GV1’ called Flap/E and assigned a value of 15.

gv.jpg

In the mixes tab I have added mix to the elevator. This uses switch SE (my flap switch) and the source is S2 (to adjust the value). The weight I have set to GV1.

mix.jpg

This all seems to work OK – when I engage the flap switch (SE-) I can adjust the elevator trim by +- 15 using S2

The problem is the next bit.

In the special functions tab I have created a switch on SG- to play the value of GV1. However it will always report a value of ‘15’ regardless of where the position of S2 is.

sf.jpg

Does that make sense and any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Geoff…

Geoff I think you'll always get a readout of 15 because your GV value will always be 15.

Try this (I haven't tried it by the way)

Copy your mix from the elevator (the line with the GV in it)
And paste it to Ch8 (or any unused channel). That channel should move up and down like the ele one but without ele stick operating it.
Then in your special function line, get it to Play Value of Ch8 (or the channel you chose)

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

sorry to dig up a long-quiet thread, but I have just started a conversion myself and wanted to say thank, you for all of the ideas that have been shared here as they have been an invaluable reference.

I am not new to electric conversions, but this one is slightly trickier than hangar 9 ARTF and similar models because it was built with only I/C in mind as far as I’m aware.

Geoff- sorry to hijack your thread, if you don’t mind can I share some photos and get your thoughts as I go?

Thanks

Rob

Thanks Geoff,

so I built and very loosely fitted the motor mount today- that’s the easy bit as long as you can measure and have a bit of patience for adjusting nuts to get the prop adapter in the right place. It will all be snuggled up and thread locked in place when I’m happy.

I have just tried to determine battery placement on the CG machine. The manual states that CG is 100mm aft of the leading edge at the root. Using this measurement places the battery almost at the front of the cowl. I remember reading a previous post about the chippy tending towards nose-heaviness. What position did you set your CG at? I’m using a 5s 5000 mah battery and setup that has served me well with similar models. It’s lighter than your 6s setup, but seems to be too big of a difference in placement to be accounted for by the mass of the battery.

thanks in advance

Rob