Jet Provost Another Late Starter Build

Always loved the simple shape of the jet provost, and remember as a lad seeing the RAF display teams using them at local air displays in the 70’s, so with the help of this plan by Andy Blackburn I have to build one, own and fly one! The plan did arrive mid April 2014, with canopy, however only been able to look at it the last few weeks because overtime and a holiday taken in April, so will be starting this build maybe a bit late to make the Mass Build flying event up great Orme this year around the end of May to the 1st of June 2014, I’m going to give it my best shot, however you know what happens, other stuff gets in the way, unexpected stuff like work and family events etc.

I’ve not built from a plan with balsa for about 9 years, and then it was a Dave Hughes Sorcerer. Now looking at my beleaguered balsa and ply stock stored in a lid of a old kit box, I’d better get on and order more from Slec to supplement what I’ve got -just looks like ‘offcuts’ to me. Was hoping to start on the torque rods and elevator arm today however I also need some bar and tube to make them etc, etc.

I've studied the plan and its shapes and its layout, and chosen some nice metal geared servos and found a nice -‘aaa’ 800 mah eneloop battery, theres plenty of space at the front to take a bigger heavier battery if I need it, I even put the battery on charge and my over half said "your hopeful aren't you?", after she said this I feel I’m well behind the other builds so I better get a move on.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 10:30:35

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 10:31:55

The JP build will have to wait........doh! You know I said stuff gets in the way, well this is a good distraction, my partners son Marcus Partridge does fly, here's a picture of him up at the National at Holme Moss 2007 with his FastBak, (6th from the left) well he's into road racing now and competing professional in the Cicle Classic,

So I'm standing near 'Hugh Porter' tomorrow to hear the commentary. See video Marcus supporting a blind rider Joe Widdowaon on a tandem at the Manchester Velodrome with Hugh comparing at that event as well.

The pair got a British record that night, lets hope Marcus gets a result tomorrow on his local patch.

See link - Cicle Classic http://cicleclassic.co.uk/competitors-2012/

Holme Moss Nationals  - to follow 

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:10:04

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:12:05

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:13:24

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:24:30

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:26:20

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 26/04/2014 21:37:21

Back from the race, started tracing around the plan using carbon paper. Marcus in the race, well he got 85 miles in and got pulled of the back, his sponsors are pleased any way with his effort.

andy blackburn plan jp using carbon paper to make patterns.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 28/04/2014 09:13:32

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 28/04/2014 09:16:34

Hi Mark,

Started mine not too long ago now as well, though I am cheating and using the CNC kit - comes together very fast. I found a set of long flair aileron torque rods that does the job with no messing around cutting and shutting, might be worth a look when you get to that point. I got mine online from Blackburn models.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy the last few weeks, been building the Jet Provost out of Epp Foam, to save me purchasing more wood. Before I do any more I had the get the gear in, balance it and test fly it, just to make sure what I was doing out of foam would work and fly.

Was out at 7 am this morning up the local Rugby ground, it was lovely and sunny this morning with still air, put a hook underneath just in front of the wing with cross weave tape and bungee-ed it up so I could check it out.

jp bungee hook for early test.jpg

Model materials and gear used :

- Main airframe Epp black foam - 10 mm square wood main spar & 6 mm square bamboo drag spar - 3 x 1.5 mm ply main dihedral brace & 2 x 1.5 mm for drag spar - Fin and tail plane epp foam supported with 6 mm square bamboo - Wing attachment one steel screw bearing via spar into body support - Torque rods 4 mm carbon rod 2 mm wire ends - lolly stick/tape clevis end all hidden in foam TE - Epp Ailerons & balsa elevator - Tip tank retention x 4 magnets per tank - AAA eneloop battery, Hitec receiver, one aileron 148 standard servo, elevator MG85

21 oz in weight un - decorated.

The 1/2 a dozen test flights when well. First launch at speed off the bungee it climbed at about 45 degrees as the speed dropped off it levelled out and the glide slope was OK for a large bodied model and straight in front which was great. -Relief smiley.

Subsequent launches I had enough height to try a turn, I've set up the aileron differential manually with use of the holes in the servo disc at the back away from the centre and I get 12 mm up and 8 mm down deflection, with the height off launch was only able to try a turn either at 90 or 180 degrees before I run out of height, and it turns well so another -great.

This model has been a quick build test model to try and build from a plan in foam. I will build another one to show pictures on this build blog.

I have allowed within the fuselage to be able to move the gear around so if I wanted I could enclose a - LED light - in the nose at 70 grams in weight. I will show this within the blog, it involves the use of a 'sherbert dab' container don't ask, however having problems with trying to mould a clear cover the same as the nose shape.

Some pictures :

jp epp foam 21 oz not decorated.jpg

jp epp foam early test model.jpg

Done at better list of material and gear used with bullet points

Model materials and gear used :

• Main airframe Epp black foam - 10 mm square wood main spar & 6 mm square bamboo drag spar
  • 3 x 1.5 mm ply main dihedral brace & 2 x 1.5 mm for drag spar
  • Fin and tail plane epp foam supported with 6 mm square bamboo
  • Wing attachment one steel screw bearing via spar into body support
  • Torque rods 4 mm carbon rod 2 mm wire ends - lolly stick/tape clevis end all hidden in foam TE
  • Epp Ailerons & balsa elevator
  • Tip tank retention x 4 magnets per tank
  • AAA eneloop battery, Hitec receiver, one aileron 148 standard servo, correction of elevator HS 81 MG

21 oz in weight un - decorated.

• 2 weeks later...

Since last entry tried different radio gear installations which includes - 5 various elevator and 3 aileron set-ups, reason was to try and save any nose weight being used. Settled now on a set-up now that is a a lot more positive in use however is a comparmise in the weight of the model.

The build I have done from epp foam as allowed me the have a central core to the body which can be taken out and be used to mount and move the radio about.

Best if I show some pictures so you can get the idea.jp body section at f4.jpg

Wing section

jp wing section in foam.jpg

cutting new parts for assembly now I know where radio gear and set up

making 30 mm square blocks for body.jpg

The first test model has been part thrice - however its getting fit and currently in the gym lifting weights and changing colour - Should be dry for a test flight even though its a rough as _ _ _ _ well it fly's and had its gear all over the place been at different weighs from 19 oz to 30 oz - its got new ailerons - and extra attachment at the back tailplane into body and totally comes apart via two screws. jp weight lifter being painted.jpg

jp weight lifter and whiter .jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 29/05/2014 19:43:50