What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Just relaxing after an excellent day at the flying field when I heard a familiar roar. Whereupon a Spitfire appeared and put on a full aerobatic display outside our window here at Barton on sea on the Hampshire coast. This was shortly before 6pm today (24/9). I’ve no idea what it was in aid of but it was much appreciated.

WE get  a regular Spitfire round here.. Today I dashed out with a camera but only caught a tail view as it flew back to Duxford.

This is a regular sight  as they take people for a very expensive fly round.

I would love to do it but of course that is out of the question. I console myself with the thought that many years ago (Back in the 50s) I went on several air tests in Lancasters.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we were flying when we heard a horrendous noise.  It sounded a bit like an unsilenced lorry climbing a steep hill in top gear. An aircraft was approaching very slowly. In the distance I thought that it was a Yak 18.  IT slowly flew over us and  got a photos. 

The horrible noise continued as it flew away but a little later we saw it again but quieter and going faster.

When I enlarged the picture I saw that it was a North American Harvard flying with its wheels down and full flap.

I wonder why it was flying so long in that configuration

Harvard.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago  BA Hawk 128 came curving over at low level. First time I have seen one. Identifying features are a longer nose [ contains more electronics for training Typhoon pilots ] Larger jet exhaust for the more powerful engine with more noise too. Squared off wing tips so Sidewinder rails can be fitted.  Not seen one modelled yet.

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

The Mk 26 Spitfire flew over this afternoon, I heard it approaching, but was in the workshop and just got out the door to see him descending in a gentle curve to the horizon. Checked on ADS-B and it was him. I got the camera on standby but he never reappeared. One day I'll nab him.

Took this photo at Archerfield, Brisbane in July 2000. I was looking around a whole load of aircraft that I hadn't seen before & didn't see the Spitfire in the air or landing. In fact I only noticed it as it taxied right past almost within touching distance. I later discovered it was heading to the Supermarine Aircraft workshop. I think it must be a Mk25 as I don't think the Mk26 was produced for another year or two. 

31.thumb.JPG.43e5ce0c5ea3a5c0d5bf6a07c8a40d43.JPG

• Like 1

I taught someone to fly models and he was part of a syndicate building a Mk26 (90% with a Subaru 6 cylinder engine) and I was promised a go in the rear seat - yes they can squeeze one in, complete with a stick - but he moved on and we lost touch before it was completed. All wasn't totally lost as he also had a share in the Chipmunk which was used to give Prince Philip and Prince Charles their initial flying training and I spent a couple of very pleasant hours in the rear cockpit of that.

Many years ago my local government surplus store was selling some genuine Battle of Britain Memorial Flight flying suits.  I bought a pilots suit for a very reasonable price.  

Sold it on Ebay to someone who was building one those scale down Spitfires.  Bought two more but  not pilots ones and sold those!!! Very profitable!!!!

2 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I taught someone to fly models and he was part of a syndicate building a Mk26 (90% with a Subaru 6 cylinder engine) and I was promised a go in the rear seat - yes they can squeeze one in, complete with a stick - but he moved on and we lost touch before it was completed. All wasn't totally lost as he also had a share in the Chipmunk which was used to give Prince Philip and Prince Charles their initial flying training and I spent a couple of very pleasant hours in the rear cockpit of that.

I was told at the time that the one pictured was a 2 seater, I've never been able to confirm or disprove this but if true then it must actually be an early Mk26.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In February last year I posted about a nighttime visit from G-KSSC - the Kent, Surrey & Sussex air ambulance to the field behind our house.  Well today we had a daytime visit from the same heli.  It had already landed by the time I realised what was going on and grabbed my camera.

IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.ac95f6931f7ac262dfec27993c0f9b18.JPG

It stayed for 10 or 15 minutes then took off,  hovered for a minute or two...

IMG_1937.thumb.JPG.cbb171c6c29a05572ae6cb80365147ee.JPG

...then slowly climbed, whilst moving slowly backwards, and in my final shot is almost over my garden, so almost literally satisfies the thread title, "What's flying over your house."

IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.5e3bf107419e2496e4a1168cb9b73da3.JPG

Again,  as with last February,  I assume the reason for the flight was a medical emergency,  and hope the individual concerned is ok.

• Like 1

Mk 26 Spitfire did a bit of a display over the village and adjacent fields the other evening, whilst we were eating our tea. I watched it through the window, saw lots of steep climbs and swoops, wingovers and zooming passes - by the time I finally succumbed, left my food, grabbed the camera and ran outside the Spitfire was retreating into the distance.

I have just had a few days holiday at lakeside (Windermere).

I know many others see  "Boeing Ospreys" on a regular basis. In my case a first as one flew at low level along the lake. Pretty impressive, in my opinion.

I happen to live normally just less than 5 miles from Warton, I see, and more often than not hear Typhoons on a regular basis. What i have not seen is a regular fly past, where the aircraft can be seen very briefly at close quarters. At home they are more often than not a small triangle, often just a dot in the sky when the sky is cloudless and clear blue.

Amazing day today as an A400 came over with a Globemaster in very close formation just inderneath it.

6000ft and hazy but did catch it .. and again on the return leg after it had done its stuff off the coast of Wales.

Sounds like it was doing a photo shoot of the Globemaster.. amazing!

a400_globemaster_3.jpg

a400_globemaster_6.jpg

a400_globemaster_9.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Working on the Gyroo in the garage and heard a familiar sound, rushed out and there was the Lanacaster flying North past Wetherby at around 12.45pm on Saturday 21st May. Too late to get a photo but a wonderful if short lived surprise.

If anything is too high to make out, as in just a contrail, by logging on to Flight Radar or alternatively ADS-B you get a rundown on all the details from the transponders.On ADS-B, by clicking the U button all the civil traffic is deleted , which is handy, however even then some military is not shown for obvious reasons. Covers all the world except Russia etc.